Rear differential failure other problems to follow ? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Back in 2007 (IIRC) when RAV4.3 were fairly new, someone in Australia racked tons of km in new RAV4 and had rear diff failing right after the warranty period. I posted about it on this forum back then. It was an early indicator that the diffs are not the strongest point of this car.

If one wants to prevent it, early and frequent fluid replacements with SPECIFIED oil are in order. Note that FSM calls for SAE90 for over 0F and 80W90 under 0F. That is an indication how hard that small diff works and average 80W90 or 75W90 is not going to cut it IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly_jacek View Post
Back in 2007 (IIRC) when RAV4.3 were fairly new, someone in Australia racked tons of km in new RAV4 and had rear diff failing right after the warranty period. I posted about it on this forum back then. It was an early indicator that the diffs are not the strongest point of this car.

If one wants to prevent it, early and frequent fluid replacements with SPECIFIED oil are in order. Note that FSM calls for SAE90 for over 0F and 80W90 under 0F. That is an indication how hard that small diff works and average 80W90 or 75W90 is not going to cut it IMHO.
I recently drained, flushed, and refilled both trans case and rear diff with valvoline syn 80w-90. 08 Rav4 has 51k miles and both came out nasty drak green; rear was worst. But now i have a slight squeak almost squeel (think mouse wheel) when i do a quick acceleration. What the hell is that all about? There are no clunking or hard shifting sounds, but it does feel a lot smoother and it seems as though i hear a swirling sound that i never heard before. Its not loud at all just audibly different.
#13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM

(Thread Starter)
If the sound sounds like a school bus whine that would be what I heard. It started a 10:00 am and five hours later it was in the shop where I was told I needed a new differential. There was never any noise before that. No clunking no hard shifting.
#14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,002 Times in 725 Posts
Garage
For anyone who's interested, this document explains in detail how the rear differential and electro-magnet coupler work:

http://rav4world.com/pdf/2006/rav_diff.pdf

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
friendly_jacek (01-10-2013)
#15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed011826 View Post
If the sound sounds like a school bus whine that would be what I heard. It started a 10:00 am and five hours later it was in the shop where I was told I needed a new differential. There was never any noise before that. No clunking no hard shifting.
Ok at first reading your post i was worried. But i honestly do not believe it sounds at all like a school bus whine, but then again i dont really know what that sounds like. As i mentioned it is a faint sound but with my ocd i can hear it. I hope its not the same situation as you had. What is your status?
#16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 PM

(Thread Starter)
It was the rear differential as replacing it solved the problem. My status is 2800 dollars poorer and a bit miffed at Toyota.
#17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 PM

The rear diff on a RAV contains a multi plate clutch. Normal wear of this clutch means the oil gets contaminated with wear debris. It is vital that the oil be changed every 2 years or 10k miles. Otherwise the debris will destroy the diff bearings.
#18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
The rear diff on a RAV contains a multi plate clutch.
I doubt that.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM

I believe anchorman meant that the electric coupling, which is part of the differential, has a multi-plate clutch.

Does anyone know if the electric coupling is lubricated by the diff oil...I would ass-ume it is...or is it self-contained?

It's actually my sister's, but I'm the family wrench.
#20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
I believe anchorman meant that the electric coupling, which is part of the differential, has a multi-plate clutch.

Does anyone know if the electric coupling is lubricated by the diff oil...I would ass-ume it is...or is it self-contained?
It was the clutch plate material I doubted. I suggest Dr. Dyno has done more study on this than we have: rear differential although Anchorman rear differential on the same thread talked of the clutch material too. So maybe Anchorman is right. Maybe somebody will dissect a failed part. Fortunately there do not seem to be a lot of failures.

2009 V6 4wd Base

Last edited by Carbon; 01-05-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page