Rear differential failure other problems to follow ? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear differential failure other problems to follow ?

I have a 2008 v6 with 79,000 miles on it. I started hearing a wine from the rear of the car. To my and my mechanics amazement the rear differential is gone. I am wondering what I did wrong. The car hasn't been off the road. It has never towed. We currently have a Highlander with 200,000 miles on it with no problems. I have owned 5 other toyota's with no problems. This is the least expensive Toyota I have purchased and I am wondering if there is a quality difference. Yes I called the dealer and Toyota, dealer said 1 out of 10 isn't bad. Toyota recorded the information. I did see a thread where others are seeing this problem. Should I get rid of this before the next power train problem ?
ed011826 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
 
RTexasF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rio Grande Valley TX
Posts: 6,446
Thanks: 51
Thanked 290 Times in 242 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Was the rear differential ever serviced or was it left to run dry of lube? No one but you can decide whether to keep it or not. If it hasn't been replaced yet the water pump is almost a sure thing to be replaced soon. With extended warranty these are inconvenient problems. Without it they are inconvenient and expensive out of pocket repairs.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
RTexasF is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
My mechanic told me the fluid was fine except for metal in it :-( which does not surprise me after the failure. Have the quality standards for Toyota really fallen so far that differential loss at low mileage is considered acceptable ? I find that to be sad.
ed011826 is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
 
RTexasF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rio Grande Valley TX
Posts: 6,446
Thanks: 51
Thanked 290 Times in 242 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
But was it ever serviced, as in change the lube, over those 79K miles? I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder but I don't consider 79K low miles.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
RTexasF is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 PM
ARK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 264
Thanks: 0
Thanked 33 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Differentials as any other part with moving gears needs to be examined at least every 2 years and a good habit is to dump the hypoid or ATF and replenish, AND examine the spent fluids for materials.
ARK is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Let me say this Toyota wagon 250,000 miles no problems only oil changes gave it away, Toyota Camry 300,000 miles only oil changes and air conditioner, it away died in accident, Sienna van 250,000 only oil changes, gave it away status unknown, Four wheel drive Highlander 200,000 rear wheel bearing and air conditioner condenser still driving it. Many 4x4 ford trucks no differential problems in more than 100,000 miles each. Rav 4 79,000 miles rear differential failure I am concerned about quality when comparing to all other vehicles I have owned. That is why I asked the question
ed011826 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Carbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NE Illinois
Posts: 3,998
Thanks: 6
Thanked 161 Times in 155 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed011826 View Post
I have a 2008 v6 with 79,000 miles on it. I started hearing a wine from the rear of the car. To my and my mechanics amazement the rear differential is gone. I am wondering what I did wrong.
Were you using wheel extenders or lower offset wheels?

2009 V6 4wd Base
Carbon is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NB
Posts: 195
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed011826 View Post
Let me say this Toyota wagon 250,000 miles no problems only oil changes gave it away, Toyota Camry 300,000 miles only oil changes and air conditioner, it away died in accident, Sienna van 250,000 only oil changes, gave it away status unknown, Four wheel drive Highlander 200,000 rear wheel bearing and air conditioner condenser still driving it. Many 4x4 ford trucks no differential problems in more than 100,000 miles each. Rav 4 79,000 miles rear differential failure I am concerned about quality when comparing to all other vehicles I have owned. That is why I asked the question

IMO.....you have a right to question Toyota's quality as I am doing the same. Most people NEVER change their gear box oil and never have issues. Your mileage should be nothing to a gear box unless it was defective when it was installed.
My 08 Limited diff. was changed under warranty because it was leaking ,even though the service guy wrote on the bill " making noise " It wasn't making any noise and I never mentioned anything about noise , but it must have been a common problem for them to change it so easily.
I talked to the service manager the other day about the "oil burning" problems they were having and he tried to remember what Toyota says is normal ,but couldn't without looking it up. So I told him that burning 1 litre in 1200 miles is not OK with me, but is with Toyota. He tried to defend it by saying it's normal these days...... A little oil burning is normal , but not a lot.
I have a 2006 Corolla that has 147,000 km's and it doesn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes. That's what a "good" engine should do ...IMO..... that's why I went with Toyota....... We'll see next time.....

Kevin

NB Canada

08 Rav Limited 4-cylinder

Amsoil synthetic oil
kevcules is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
The car is completely stock. I am using stock wheels. Tires are blizzaks in the winter and continental all season in the summer.

Way back in 1973 I had a Mercury Capri that burned a quart per thousand and Ford said the same thing to me. Unfortunately that car was a mechanical disaster. Never had an engine problem other than oil burning and water pumps though.

Doing this to customers does not seem like good business practice does it ? I have to replace my highlander soon and because of a 1k retail part Toyota looses an easy 40k plus sale and a long time customer.

Thank you all for your responses.
ed011826 is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 03:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix Metro, AZ
Posts: 421
Thanks: 30
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcules View Post
IMO.....you have a right to question Toyota's quality as I am doing the same. Most people NEVER change their gear box oil and never have issues. Your mileage should be nothing to a gear box unless it was defective when it was installed.
My 08 Limited diff. was changed under warranty because it was leaking ,even though the service guy wrote on the bill " making noise " It wasn't making any noise and I never mentioned anything about noise , but it must have been a common problem for them to change it so easily.
I talked to the service manager the other day about the "oil burning" problems they were having and he tried to remember what Toyota says is normal ,but couldn't without looking it up. So I told him that burning 1 litre in 1200 miles is not OK with me, but is with Toyota. He tried to defend it by saying it's normal these days...... A little oil burning is normal , but not a lot.
I have a 2006 Corolla that has 147,000 km's and it doesn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes. That's what a "good" engine should do ...IMO..... that's why I went with Toyota....... We'll see next time.....
I swear but the owners manual for my 08 I4 states 1qt/600 miles and recently due to WP leak (warranty covered cost), dealer rental was a camry 2012 and that owners manual stated the same. Will mention this in the appropriate thread, but i dont see where 1 qt/1200 miles; i know its on the oil consumption TSB, but then why do the manuals state differently?
pepepeter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome