Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Oil Life System

13K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Larry67 
#1 ·
Does the oil life system on a 2010 Rav4 monitor the engine oil life based on driving speeds, rpm, etc. or does it monitor only the miles driven since the last reset of the system? I've searched for an answer but can not find one.

#4 ·
You are correct. The 2010 RAV4 does not have an oil life monitor. It has a counter that goes off every 5K miles. On the new ones using 0W20 synthetic (change every 10K) it still goes off every 5,000 miles to remind you to rotate tires.

#5 ·
What new one's are using synthetic oil? Last time I checked no Rav4's were on the list. In fact I emailed them asking why my V6 was not on the list even though other models with the same engine ('12 Camry I4 & V6) are on the list. I received this dumb reply " Your vehicle VIN ************** uses and is only designed for conventional oil and the replacement period is 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. "

#20 ·
New thread - same topic..... When we picked up our 2010 RAV, we got the 2-yr free oil change and tire rotation coupons.....on the back of the coupons it states syn oil change interval was 10k miles...... I don't use syn for improved mpg's but startup friction protection and viscosity especially in very cold temps...... Using syn or Dino comes down to personal preference and how long you plan on keeping your vehicle. When I drop the syn after 5k miles, it is hardly discolored and since I do it myself it costs me $26 for M1 oil and OEM filter. I use 0W-20 winter and 5W-20 summer months...... I could comfortably go to 10k miles but why bother for the cost... My plan is to keep the vehicle for 10 years so high mileage engine performance is the purpose of using syn oil......if you are leasing and plan to turn the vehicle in or own and only plan to keep the vehicle 3-years or so.....conventional oil is the more cost-effective approach to oil changes.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.