Oil Life System - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil Life System

Does the oil life system on a 2010 Rav4 monitor the engine oil life based on driving speeds, rpm, etc. or does it monitor only the miles driven since the last reset of the system? I've searched for an answer but can not find one.

2010 Rav4 Base 6cyl 4WD w/ tow prep and hitch, XM radio
235/65R17 tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

My maintenance light comes on exactly 5000 miles after it was last reset. Doesn't matter how the car has been used.

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:50 PM

(Thread Starter)
OK. So it is really just a mileage checker and not an engine analyzer type system.

2010 Rav4 Base 6cyl 4WD w/ tow prep and hitch, XM radio
235/65R17 tires
#4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You are correct. The 2010 RAV4 does not have an oil life monitor. It has a counter that goes off every 5K miles. On the new ones using 0W20 synthetic (change every 10K) it still goes off every 5,000 miles to remind you to rotate tires.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
You are correct. The 2010 RAV4 does not have an oil life monitor. It has a counter that goes off every 5K miles. On the new ones using 0W20 synthetic (change every 10K) it still goes off every 5,000 miles to remind you to rotate tires.
What new one's are using synthetic oil? Last time I checked no Rav4's were on the list. In fact I emailed them asking why my V6 was not on the list even though other models with the same engine ('12 Camry I4 & V6) are on the list. I received this dumb reply " Your vehicle VIN ************** uses and is only designed for conventional oil and the replacement period is 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. "
#6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rminor View Post
What new one's are using synthetic oil? Last time I checked no Rav4's were on the list. In fact I emailed them asking why my V6 was not on the list even though other models with the same engine ('12 Camry I4 & V6) are on the list. I received this dumb reply " Your vehicle VIN ************** uses and is only designed for conventional oil and the replacement period is 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. "
Four cylinder models not V-6. I believe the longer interval started in 2010 when 0W20 synth was specified. Sorry, I should have been specific. V-6 in the RAV has always been 5W30.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Four cylinder models not V-6. I believe the longer interval started in 2010 when 0W20 synth was specified. Sorry, I should have been specific. V-6 in the RAV has always been 5W30.
I just went back to that Toyota web page that lists the models that can use synthetic and no Rav4 models are on it. Toyota Synthetic Motor Oil Change and Replacement Services and Information
#8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminor View Post
I just went back to that Toyota web page that lists the models that can use synthetic and no Rav4 models are on it. Toyota Synthetic Motor Oil Change and Replacement Services and Information
I just googled synthetic oil in Rav4 V6. What I am reading is it is ok to use synthetic oil at the recommended weight, it is just not listed as recommended for 10,000 mile oil changes? Would that be a correct thought?

I use Mobil1 synthetic in all my vehicles. I would want to continue that with my new Rav4 if/when I get it. If it is not recommended because of the 10,000 mile extended change interval, then I would change it at the 5000 mile interval for warranty. That would be OK, correct? I don't see what would make a difference whether it is regular oil or synthetic as long as you stick with the recommended change interval according to a warranty.

After the warranty though, I would switch to changing the Mobil1 synthetic every 7500 miles as I have been with every car I've owned for years and years.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
After the warranty though, I would switch to changing the Mobil1 synthetic every 7500 miles as I have been with every car I've owned for years and years.
That's what I'd do, especially with the type of highway driving you mentioned on your other thread.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
I just googled synthetic oil in Rav4 V6. What I am reading is it is ok to use synthetic oil at the recommended weight, it is just not listed as recommended for 10,000 mile oil changes? Would that be a correct thought?

I use Mobil1 synthetic in all my vehicles. I would want to continue that with my new Rav4 if/when I get it. If it is not recommended because of the 10,000 mile extended change interval, then I would change it at the 5000 mile interval for warranty. That would be OK, correct? I don't see what would make a difference whether it is regular oil or synthetic as long as you stick with the recommended change interval according to a warranty.

You're taking a BIG chance since your car is "designed for conventional oil only" per Toyota.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page