2006 needs a a New Tranny? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 needs a a New Tranny?

2006 AWD RAV, 95K, Oil Charges every 3 months. Tranny and Cooling system flushes performed by dealer as dealer reccomended. Last flush at 75K. We allowed them to do the tranny service where the machine sucks the fluid out. Car under 7/100K Platinum Toyota Warranty. Coverage expeires 5/13 or 100K.

Last month, engine ripped apart for excessive oil consumption (see TSB) Covered under warranty. Immedialte following return of RAV, we noticed a nosiy engine when cold but returning to normal sound after a few minutes. My wife also noted that car did not seem to shift smoothly during those first few minutes. Car returned to dealer after a couple of weeks....

Back to the dealer today...

Dealer thinks the 'noisy' engine is due to a worn tensioner. That will be replaced under the platinum warranty. I guess I'll ask about the belt condition...I assume they would let me know if worn...better check.

They claim they hear a 'banging' in the the tranny and that the tranny fluid is 'burnt' and something in there is wearing. Odd since we just had them service the tranny a 75K miles...its got 95K today....they admit it should not need service. I also find it odd...they claim at every oil change they examine all fluids and make reccomendations on fluid changes and servicing based on what they find. Honesly, I thought the tranny would need to be flushed for the second time around 60K miiles but they claimed it checked fine. It was only at 75K they reccomeded the service. If the fluid was burt, would they not have said something when they chaged the oil when the they started the oil consumption test in late October...or after they performed the engine repair in December? They claim they heard a banging. We never heard it. The did not ay anything about the shifting condition my wife noticed when the car was cold...only they thought the tranny had something wrong. I am not so convinced however they said Toyota was sending a remanuafactured one under warranty for replacement. Who am I to agrue...especially with the warranty expiring soon.

Could the tranny issue have been caused by the recent piston/engine repair? After all the noise (tensioner) and what my wife perceived to be a tranny issue started the day we got the car back. Coincidence? Could that 'suck out' machine they used at 75K created a tranny issue? Is there a tranny issue?

Bottom line...The platinum warranty is covering the installation of a new tranny. Actually its a remanufactured one from Toyota and it will only be warrantied so long as the Platinum contract is in effect...ie a few months or 5K miles. Should't there be a year warranty on it?

It seems pulling the engine had some ill effects on other thing...debateable at the least I guess. I am not blaming the dealer...you pull old things apart...who knows how well they go back together....Could the tranny replacement effect other things as well though? What might they be? The warranty is over soon!

We are both extremely disspaointed in what we consider to be a well mainatain car...not sure what we would have done with out the warranty.

It almost time for something new. Should we dumpt this sucker sooner rather than later? We were thinking of handing it down to my son...he be paying for it but far less than its real value...hate to see him stuck with something trouble prone....or does having the engine overhauled and a new tranny make it a safe investment?

Thoughts...

-Laplume
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,099 Times in 794 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreLaplume View Post
Last flush at 75K. We allowed them to do the tranny service where the machine sucks the fluid out.
My only thoughts are this was a mistake. These flush machines are bad news. GM and Honda now recommend against them. Good mechanics call them "wallet flush" machines. They generally flush the transmission out with some generic fluid and leave the dirty filter in place:

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Should I Have My Transmission Flushed

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#3 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 12:14 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
My only thoughts are this was a mistake. These flush machines are bad news. GM and Honda now recommend against them. Good mechanics call them "wallet flush" machines. They generally flush the transmission out with some generic fluid and leave the dirty filter in place:

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Should I Have My Transmission Flushed
I don't think I will do it again unless the warranty requires it. Still, that was 20K ago, they never noted any issues on oil changes we had done in between (they cllaim they always check that stuff) and the issue only arose after the engine repair...and I have no idea if that pedicated the tranny issue...if really is one. I am not paying for it thankfully....should I expect any othe rissues after replacement...is this a good thing or bad...

-Laplume
#4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Glad to here your covered, tough call about keeping or not. I have an 2009 with no problems however after the 8 year extended warranty is up I probably will sell and get a new car with another extended warranty.

Good Luck.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

I agree with Junebug about the flushes. They probably didn't use the specified fluid in the first place. I do drain and refills in my cars every 30,000 miles and periodical pan drop and magnets/filters cleaning.

However, OP should be considered lucky the failure happened still under the warranty.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 12:12 PM

(Thread Starter)
We'd love to move on to a new vehicle but $$$$ are an issue right now, plus the new RAV will likely seel at Retail for a while....

-Laplume
#7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 PM

Speaking of tranny's, anyone watch america's next top tranny?
#8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 AM

(Thread Starter)
went to pick up car.....guess it was not the belt tensioner...car making that growling noise again...fear its in the engine....they still have the car...fear something did not go back together right after oil consumption fix...

-Laplume
#9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM

(Thread Starter)
back again...said they were sorry...enginemount bolts were not tightened down properly....got in car...drove right back into service...noisy as ever....they appologized...still have the car....

-Laplume
#10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Man I am so sorry to hear that. I would be past irate at this point. Who is supposedly test driving it prior to saying it is ready?

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page