Vapor canister - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Vapor canister

Hi all,
I've followed this site off and on for several years and have been impressed with the comaraderie and helpfulness you all have show each other.
I drive an '06 Ltd and have been quite happy with it.
Until last month, when we drove over Siskiyou Pass in a big snowstorm. Handled great, as always, but at some point the hose to the vapor canister filter got broken clean off.
Medford Toyota service writer said I could drive home OK, it wouldn't impact drivability. Got home and Reno Toyota tells me the canister itself is now mucked up and needs replaced, to the tune of $1500!
In reading your posts I get the sense this is a manufacturing defect that Toyota addressed in later models, but neither Reno Toyota nor Toyota Customer Service agree. Even the parts guy said he couldn't find a shield for the '08, '09 or '10s, and I am livid.
Has anyone had any success getting Toyota to take responsiility for this, and fix it so it can't happen again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Yap, Toyota dropped the ball on this. I installed a protector on my own as soon as I realized the problem.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM

Did you make your own guard or retrofit a newer one? Difficult job? Approx price of the Toyota unit? Have I asked enough questions yet? I've ripped the hose off the bottom of the car under the driver's seat a couple times but patched it and tied it up right away. So far no issues with the canistor, but I'd like to keep it that way if I can.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

A member here made several and had for sale. You would have to search back to 2006 to find the posts with pictures here.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly_jacek View Post
A member here made several and had for sale. You would have to search back to 2006 to find the posts with pictures here.
Lost parts of car going through a puddle on the freeway!

2009 V6 4wd Base
The Following User Says Thank You to Carbon For This Useful Post:
whtbaron (01-29-2013)
#6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM

Well crap...just read the 20 plus pages of posts on this issue and it seems my shield, cannister and everything is already gone on my 08. In my case I hooked the hose back together with the one running up to the engine with a 90 degree hose fitting. Managed to rip that off again in snow drifts last month. So far the only issue I've had is the VSC light coming on about once every 2 mths ( which in turn disables the cruise control) and after about 4 restarts it goes out again. Whoever put plastic parts under a 4 wheel drive had holes in his head. Am I risking any more damage by running like this? I don't drive it with the hose ends open.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
Well crap...just read the 20 plus pages of posts on this issue and it seems my shield, cannister and everything is already gone on my 08. In my case I hooked the hose back together with the one running up to the engine with a 90 degree hose fitting. Managed to rip that off again in snow drifts last month. So far the only issue I've had is the VSC light coming on about once every 2 mths ( which in turn disables the cruise control) and after about 4 restarts it goes out again. Whoever put plastic parts under a 4 wheel drive had holes in his head. Am I risking any more damage by running like this? I don't drive it with the hose ends open.
This is just what I was thinking. Why can't you just eliminate the whole $1000-1500 apparatus? Since it's only emissions related if it doesn't set the CEL it likely isn't doing any harm. Would be interesting to read the Skid Control ECU codes to see what triggers the VSC light.

Here's how to read them:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
However, if you have other warning lights showing without the CEL, most code readers can't display the codes because they are not stored in the ECM. But there is an easy way to read these codes by using the jumper method. All you need is a short piece of small gauge wire--speaker wire works fine, or even a paper clip bent into a U shape. With the ignition off, place the jumper wire across pins 4 and 13 of the diagnostic port.

Now turn the key to ON, but don't start the engine. With the smart key system, push the button twice with your foot OFF the brake pedal. The warning lights should now be flashing on the instrument cluster. A light that is flashing regularly means that particular system is normal. A coded flash indicates a problem. For example, if the ABS light flashes 3 times, pauses, then flashes 4 times, that would be code 34--a problem with the Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor. ... The VSC and ABS codes are stored in the Skid Control ECU and use the C prefix, such as C0278/11 which indicates a problem with the ABS Solenoid Relay Circuit.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dyno For This Useful Post:
whtbaron (01-29-2013)
#8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 PM

I"ve played around with lots of old vehicles, but I have to admit shoving shunts into a computer controlled ignition system scares the hell out of me. If I get brave enough/dumb enough to try this, would the VSC light have to be on or would the memory still be there from the last time? I'm wondering now if the times it has been triggered were related to the times when I was breaking the original cannister apart or breaking the lines.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
I"ve played around with lots of old vehicles, but I have to admit shoving shunts into a computer controlled ignition system scares the hell out of me. If I get brave enough/dumb enough to try this, would the VSC light have to be on or would the memory still be there from the last time? I'm wondering now if the times it has been triggered were related to the times when I was breaking the original cannister apart or breaking the lines.
No worries about the 4-13 jumper. Connecting them would be what a Toyota specific code reader would do. I carry a 1/2 paper clip for just that purpose. But be ready for a real light show with lots of dash lights going seemingly crazy. Just count the VSC pattern and we'll look it up. And yes, the codes will still be there once the light comes on even tho it went out. If not the VSC light will blink at a steady rate as will any other systems w/o codes.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM

My plan is to spend the next 2 weeks floating in front of a swimup bar in the Caribbean contemplating the meaning of life and debating how much I hate an idiot light popping up once every couple months. Thanks for your help, but I might have to get back to you on this... have fun guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page