New “offroad” competitor - 2019 honda passport - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV Lounge General discussion about the RAV4, not limited to any particular generation.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New “offroad” competitor - 2019 honda passport

PassportForums.com - The Largest 2019+ Honda Passport Forum, Community And Owner's Club

Honda announced their new midsize SUV. 3.5L V6, same drivetrain as Pilot, 2 rows. 3500 lb towing can option to 5000 lb with AWD, so one class up from adventure Rav4. Safety sense standard, top view camera standard, 9 spd auto, no CVT. No info on MPG or pricing yet, out for early 2019. I can see some cross shopping between those that would opt for the Adventure grade or this. I think the styling is more on point with the adventure model and toyota probably has the edge on reliability, but the 3.5L V6 is very tempting! Any other thoughts from the crowd? Probably will have to test drive both and decide I think in the end.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ilike2019 For This Useful Post:
Andre Lofano (11-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
New “offroad” competitor - 2019 honda passport

Personal opinion obviously:
I’ve owned a bunch of Honda’s - 3 Accords, 2 CRVs, a Civic, and a Pilot. Honda’s used to be comparable to Toyota vehicles in reliability, but no more. I would especially be concerned about first year of a new model.
That said, I liked my Pilot and the 3.5 engine is a good one and the performance should be excellent in a somewhat smaller vehicle. If a prospective buyer needed to tow more than the RAV can it would be worth considering. I would also expect the gas mileage to be similar to the Pilot, maybe a couple better, which is still not near as good as the RAV.

So it’s a matter of what you need, or want. I personally am not in the market for any Honda’s I have seen, but at least this one has a NA 3.5 engine and an eight speed. Given Honda’s new found romance with turbo fours and CVTs its a nice change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Bigger then what I need. I myself find Honda design has gotten either strange or not really exciting but that is a personal choice. I think it will be more cross shop against the Highlander, Pilot and Ascent. Someone who wants more space than a Compact SUV but does not want or needs three rows.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjecpa View Post
Bigger then what I need. I myself find Honda design has gotten either strange or not really exciting but that is a personal choice. I think it will be more cross shop against the Highlander, Pilot and Ascent. Someone who wants more space than a Compact SUV but does not want or needs three rows.

Exactly. And needs to tow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to EddieJoe For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
This is not an offroad vehicle by any stretch of the imagination.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I like the new Passport & the new RAV4, there are certainly pros and cons for each, depending on each persons needs.

I like the small footprint, handling, features, and mpg of the RAV, but I'm not crazy about the color selection for the Adventure models and I priced one out in the Build-your-own Toyota site and came out at $40,770, which is a ton for a entry level SUV.

For the Passport, I like the bigger size, as I need to load it up for camping, and while neither is gonna climb Pike's Peak, I think the Honda will prove to be better off-road (gotta wait for the reviewers to get their hands on some actual models). I LOVE the added trunk (under the cargo area) feature of the Passport, I like the bigger engine, mpg (based on the Pilot getting 19city & 27highway) should be at least 20city and 28highway, which is fine with me since I don't drive much more than 6k miles/yr. I'm guessing, the interior is going to be nicer and leather seats are available. A nicely loaded Pilot can run in the $45k to $48k range, and I don't see the Passport being too much less than that, but if I price out one in the $43k/$45k range with leather and a 6cyl engine, it will make it an easy choice for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to 44149 For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Quote:
Exactly. And needs to tow.
It tows 3500 with FWD and 5000 with AWD and has a V-6. What more do you want? Only one RAV is rated to pull 3500# and that is extremely questionable with a four banger engine.

2008 Base V-6
2008 Limited V-6
Tow Prep Package & front wheel drive (both)
The Following User Says Thank You to RTexasF For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
It tows 3500 with FWD and 5000 with AWD and has a V-6. What more do you want? Only one RAV is rated to pull 3500# and that is extremely questionable with a four banger engine.
I pull 3200# with the V6 and even that in stock form, would be questionnable to me, the stock atf oil cooler is a joke...

with a bigger aftermarket cooler I still see high temps when towing and I live in the north were it doesn't get that hot...

I can't imagine how a small 2.5 liter would pull 3500# with only the addition of an atf cooler and oil cooler.

2007 Rav4 V6 Sport AWD (bought back after dealer messed it up)
2012 Rav4 V6 Sport AWD, setup for towing with p3 brake controler, airbags rear helper springs, 15k atf cooler.
Toys: 2008 Doral Sunquest 170, 2016 Princecraft Vectra 19, 2011 Jayco Swift slx 154bh
The Following User Says Thank You to Octane For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
I pull 3200# with the V6 and even that in stock form, would be questionnable to me, the stock atf oil cooler is a joke...

with a bigger aftermarket cooler I still see high temps when towing and I live in the north were it doesn't get that hot...

I can't imagine how a small 2.5 liter would pull 3500# with only the addition of an atf cooler and oil cooler.

I can't imagine how a small 2.5 liter would pull 3500# with only the addition of an atf cooler and oil cooler. I agree 100%
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post

I understand that Octane, we own two of them.. I'm speaking of the newer four cylinder only models vs the V-6 Passport since that's the comparison.

2008 Base V-6
2008 Limited V-6
Tow Prep Package & front wheel drive (both)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page