Should I keep the 05 or 06? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV Lounge General discussion about the RAV4, not limited to any particular generation.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Should I keep the 05 or 06?

I have an 2005 RAV4 with 395,000+ miles original transmission, engine runs great now that have repaired/replaced many things. 2 O2 sensors, cat, crankshaft position sensor, fuel injectors, mass airflow sensor, and a thorough seafoam cleaning(even sprayed it down to the EVAP canister hose.) Also put in a new radiator, but used that cheap green anti freeze after flushing.

I also have a 2006 RAV4 with a little over 150,000 miles. The main problem with it is that it was never fixed for the oil consumption, T-SB-0094-11.pdf There are a couple other issues of the battery light blinking on and off here and there. Two issues for this were multiple electrical contacts needed cleaning and the alternator was replaced. Also the belt tensioner make be loose or failing, not sure yet. but otherwise seems fine.

I am trying to figure out which one to keep. Though this should be a no brainier due to mileage, things are not always as they seem. I'm afraid of dumping way to much money into the 06 for its issues, but I'm also afraid the transmission in the 05 may be soon to fail, though no signs of this as of yet. What are yalls thoughts? Personally I enjoy my 05 more than the 06, but of course the 06 does have a bit more space. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
If you don't mind pouring oil into your 2006 it probably would be the better choice to keep. However, the situation might boil down to doing a coin flip to decide. If they both were mine I probably would sell both even though I probably wouldn't get much money and use whatever I did receive and add some more to buy something newer and, if an early gen. 3 RAV4 4 cyl. (2006-2008) make certain that it either has had the oil burning fix done or does not burn excessive oil.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Geister View Post
I have an 2005 RAV4 with 395,000+ miles original transmission, engine runs great now that have repaired/replaced many things. 2 O2 sensors, cat, crankshaft position sensor, fuel injectors, mass airflow sensor, and a thorough seafoam cleaning(even sprayed it down to the EVAP canister hose.) Also put in a new radiator, but used that cheap green anti freeze after flushing.

I also have a 2006 RAV4 with a little over 150,000 miles. The main problem with it is that it was never fixed for the oil consumption, T-SB-0094-11.pdf There are a couple other issues of the battery light blinking on and off here and there. Two issues for this were multiple electrical contacts needed cleaning and the alternator was replaced. Also the belt tensioner make be loose or failing, not sure yet. but otherwise seems fine.

I am trying to figure out which one to keep. Though this should be a no brainier due to mileage, things are not always as they seem. I'm afraid of dumping way to much money into the 06 for its issues, but I'm also afraid the transmission in the 05 may be soon to fail, though no signs of this as of yet. What are yalls thoughts? Personally I enjoy my 05 more than the 06, but of course the 06 does have a bit more space. Thanks in advance.

How are you planning to get rid of the other- sell or give away? How rusted are they? Do they give you comparable mpg?

My concern with 06 would be its potentially stripped head bolts->leaking coolant->overheat etc. The rest doesn't sound too bad if you're OK with adding extra oil. 05 has very high mileage, that is obvious but it also depends what kind of miles are those. If they were mostly hwy miles its transmission may be not worn out as much.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page