[Jalopnik] The Original Toyota RAV4 Was Better And More Important Than You Think - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV4 News, Reviews & Videos Share your RAV4 news articles, reviews or videos here!

User Tag List
RAVMAN

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensajero View Post
My RAV4 has been with me thru thick and thin. When my son was always hungry and I wondered why? He was diagnosed with diabetic when he was four years old. I had to race to the hospital with him, he had a reading of 400+ in his four year old body, normal, was about 60. When no ambulance driver wanted to make the 45 minute trip because of the weather. My RAV4 was blasting me thru a lot of fallen trees and telephone poles, while a hurricane was passing thru the island. It saved my sons life, my only son. It will be with me forever. The old guys from this forum remember that one. Now the new guys know why I do, what I do so passionately when it comes to my RAV4. The only memory that I have of that time was when I was going to inject my son with insulin, he asked me; “Dad, when am I going to be cured” Those words are still in my mind and heart. Now you know.
Your Rav is one true hero!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just wanted to add my thoughts on this to the discussion. I bought my 97 RAV from someone who owned it for 14 years, when he "upgraded" to a 2013 crosstrek. We also own a 05 sienna, and I am immeasurably happier with the old toyota than the supposedly far more advanced sienna. In the time I have had the rav, the sienna has gotten no less than 5 seperate check engine lights, one after the other, while I have yet to need any major work besides cleaning the throttle up a bit, an oil change and tire rotation. This car makes me happy in the morning to come out and drive it, as if it is saying "PLEASE! come drive me! i want to go!" and hard to walk away from when i get to my destination. they say the measure of a good car is if you can't help but look back at it as you are walking away, and i have yet to not look back while walking away. I have only owned the car about 5 months now, but i have greatly enjoyed every minute of it. this article hit it right on the head, it was a great read.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Mensajero, that's a great story! I'm glad your son was ok!
That was a great article linked, too---"Lasers, yo!" ah ha ha! Like many others with these little fighters, my Rav4.1 has never let me down either. I can't imagine ever selling it...I'm actually looking for a second Rav4.1! (But, I like the gen 1 xB's, too...they're a cult-car as well, it seems)

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
A good read. Having become a 4.1 owner almost by accident (my friend was selling up to move abroad) I have been surprised by how much love I have developed for it now. Folk on the other car forums I am a member of are astonished by the how much people like these cars but I completely understand now.

When I acquired the car it had been sat for 6 months; kids from the estate had keyed the bonnet, the tyres were flat and the rotors had surface rust but it started up dutifully first time. I was beaming from ear to ear after the first drive as it just seemed to fit like a well worn pair of sneakers that still don't have any holes.

I definitely got the sense that the car was yearning to be saved like a stray dog locked up in a rehoming centre.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwambam View Post
A good read. Having become a 4.1 owner almost by accident (my friend was selling up to move abroad) I have been surprised by how much love I have developed for it now. Folk on the other car forums I am a member of are astonished by the how much people like these cars but I completely understand now.

When I acquired the car it had been sat for 6 months; kids from the estate had keyed the bonnet, the tyres were flat and the rotors had surface rust but it started up dutifully first time. I was beaming from ear to ear after the first drive as it just seemed to fit like a well worn pair of sneakers that still don't have any holes.

I definitely got the sense that the car was yearning to be saved like a stray dog locked up in a rehoming centre.
I love a good rescue story , first gen RAV's need to be preserved, they are the beginning of the mono-body crossover catagory! both my RAV's were "the runt of the litter" when I found them online, needing a LOT of love and care, they were dirty, neglected, tires worn out or almost flat, and in need of a lot of love. now I would not trade them for anything else!. I will add to my fleet, but the RAV's stay

Ed Systems - Victoria Australia -http://www.youtube.com/aussie50
2015 Hyundai ix35 Active - Name: Kate, 6sp Auto, Pure White
2000 RAV4 5dr Wagon - Name: 'Bluey', 5sp Manual, Bishop Blue, Cruiser Pack - Loyal trouble free RAVPet and Daily Driver No1
1998 RAV4 Cabriolet, Name: 'Betty', 5Sp Manual, Cruiser Pack, Silver, - Daily Driver No2, very needy and somewhat buggy.
2001 Mercedes ML270 CDI - Name: 'Alyse', 6Sp Auto, 2.7 Turbo Diesel, White
2000 Honda CR-V - Name: Vicki, 5sp manual, Silver.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
This vehicle.. I mean this thing, this 3 door thing, the ground clearance is so high for its size that it can go through floods as deep as reaching the head lights (sprinkled water goes in but still moving), can glide through traffic, can fit through gaps to park, can fit 6 people inside (yes, done it, my poor rav), can be a camera car or chase car (currently is), can fit 1,500 Tostillas chips with 8 boxes included and it's not fast, 150kph max on stock, but the acceleration response can keep up with street rices.

And a bonus good thing about it is that I have crashed it 4 times: under steered 50kph on a Bulldozer, spun 720 on a "touge" and hit on a tree, spun on a rainy day at 80kph and hit a Hilux sideways and lastly, hit a curb while traveling on a flooded avenue and burst the tires. And I still use it daily. I laughed at the author's dear accident because for me and my Rav it wasn't that totaled. Hehe.

Basically, this thing is as solid as F as it can be, a frankenstein, an off-roader, a sports car (because 2 door, yeah!), a hauler, a UTE, a celica baby, a bus..

This is a damn good clown car! And i love it, I love mine. And it's still with me, being fixed with the latest trouble I had with it.

Last edited by Ahya728; 05-11-2016 at 06:37 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ahya728 For This Useful Post:
Aussie50 (02-20-2015), JuneBug (02-20-2015), karrock (02-24-2015), RAVMANNY (08-26-2015)
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,783 Posts
Garage
And they say the Hilux is tough? This is one RAV that just won't die, no matter how it's used or abused!

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie50 View Post
I love my first gen RAV's to death!, I have driven an updated V6 RAV (Rev4.3) and it was fun, but just felt like a station wagon. any RAV Nut who has never driven a first gen RAV needs to give it a go!
Hey Aussie50, I know you, your that mad engineer in youtube with 2 ravs, the one is called Betty Haha. Greetings!
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Garage
Haha, yeh that me, I love my RAV's, I need to make more videos on them, trouble is hardly anything goes wrong so I can't do repair vids

My RAV's get a good workout too, I did not get a pic of Bluey loaded up with a full size server rack (seats out job) but this is how you fit 3 large window AC units and a bundle of covers and filters in
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/y...43490968571199

The only trouble my RAV's ever give me!, no accidents or serious breakdowns!

Ed Systems - Victoria Australia -http://www.youtube.com/aussie50
2015 Hyundai ix35 Active - Name: Kate, 6sp Auto, Pure White
2000 RAV4 5dr Wagon - Name: 'Bluey', 5sp Manual, Bishop Blue, Cruiser Pack - Loyal trouble free RAVPet and Daily Driver No1
1998 RAV4 Cabriolet, Name: 'Betty', 5Sp Manual, Cruiser Pack, Silver, - Daily Driver No2, very needy and somewhat buggy.
2001 Mercedes ML270 CDI - Name: 'Alyse', 6Sp Auto, 2.7 Turbo Diesel, White
2000 Honda CR-V - Name: Vicki, 5sp manual, Silver.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Hey Aussie, I'd love to see the photo of the kind of "trouble" your RAV's give you but unfortunately it's asking me to log into Google+ (which I don't have...). Just curious if it's at all like the kind of trouble mine gives me, getting dirty and always needing a bath even after just having been washed .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page