[The Fast Lane Car] Offroad/snow review 2015 CR-V vs. 2015 Rav4 - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV4 News, Reviews & Videos Share your RAV4 news articles, reviews or videos here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:25 AM
Cat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
Ya know... I thought the exact same thing... Their scoring system went to pot when the vehicles got the same score, yet different advisement.

It sounded to me like they preferred the capabilities of the Rav4 a bit more than the CR-V. To me, that's far more important than the fake CF trim pieces and tires... which, the Rav4 comes with several different OEM tires fitted... so that's not even a real benchmark.

Edit: and I'm sorry if I offend anyone here but I think leasing is pretty dumb most of the time... so the whole "buy it/lease it" thing is a dumb thing to even mention anyway...
I agree totally..I was a bit disappointed in their testing of both vehicles AWD capabilities. Seemed to me that they were worried about getting a scratch on either vehicle and more concerned with the interior design. Anyone can critique interior design and debate forever about it, but not many test for real capability. I really wanted to see how they compared off road. Didn't expect them to handle like trucks, etc., but did want them to tear them both up and really put them through their paces. You know, let's see what they look like or how they held up after a great rippn' through the trails, mountains, etc. He bragged about being 8000ft up in the mountains, but their test environment didn't look any different than my backyard 800ft up. Lamo test as compared to their advertisement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 11:37 AM
Cat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garage
Oh and one other thing. They hyped up the new CRV's gas mileage, but I've gotten comparable to that.. 32.2 miles to the gal - high end. Calculated by me not by the car although it was close to my cal.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Trying to think what might not be realistic or fair about this test (front tires on rollers), but it does seem extremely basic. Other than someone tampering with the CRV to make it fail, I don't see how this would not be a viable test. I'd be interested to hear other folks opinions about this as to the validity of this test. If I was a CRV owner I'd be a bit upset to say the least.

Yeah, a lot of owners are saying things like "well, there'd never be a situation where you wouldn't have *some* traction..." and things like that... but I'm with you -- seems like a valid test to me. They ding'd the CR-V on the same test for the last generation and Honda released a reflash/reprogram for the computer that told it to handle the transfer to the rear wheels differently. They only released it to that particular market though.

Now they're back to the neutered AWD system... seems to me that they've cut down on the AWD components and they don't want to risk you breaking the undersized hardware if the computer is programed to send (more)power back (sooner and longer). I'd be ticked. The Rav4 has a button you press to have a 50/50 split. I like that!

Quote:
I agree totally..I was a bit disappointed in their testing of both vehicles AWD capabilities. Seemed to me that they were worried about getting a scratch on either vehicle and more concerned with the interior design. Anyone can critique interior design and debate forever about it, but not many test for real capability. I really wanted to see how they compared off road. Didn't expect them to handle like trucks, etc., but did want them to tear them both up and really put them through their paces. You know, let's see what they look like or how they held up after a great rippn' through the trails, mountains, etc. He bragged about being 8000ft up in the mountains, but their test environment didn't look any different than my backyard 800ft up. Lamo test as compared to their advertisement.

Yeah, the review could have been better BUT -- I'm glad they even did it. Nobody else (except everyman driver who did the new CR-V in the snow) has done a test of the capabilities of these crossovers. I think they should "test it till it gets stuck". That'll give a better picture of the "limit".

Quote:
Oh and one other thing. They hyped up the new CRV's gas mileage, but I've gotten comparable to that.. 32.2 miles to the gal - high end. Calculated by me not by the car although it was close to my cal.

I got 31.7 I believe (AWD, Ltd.) as my highest. I think the couple MPG savings that the CVT transmission brings is not worth it. Not to mention the added vibration of the CR-V idle that has blown up over on CRVownersclub. I'm REALLY glad I didn't go with the CR-V. I really like our Rav a lot in comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement