The Toyota RAV4 Platinum serves up serious bang for the buck, but it's a boring drive - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV4 News, Reviews & Videos Share your RAV4 news articles, reviews or videos here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,784 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
The Toyota RAV4 Platinum serves up serious bang for the buck, but it's a boring drive

Toyota RAV4 review: PHOTOS, FEATURES - Business Insider

No segment is currently more important in the auto industry than SUVs.
Both compact and mid-size crossover SUVs account for 35% of all cars and trucks sold in the United States. Honda's CR-V, the best-selling crossover in the United States, has achieved seven straight years of sale gains.
Meanwhile, the Toyota RAV4 falls right behind the CR-V in sales — and it's gaining steam. In 2016, Toyota sold 352,169 RAV4 cars — an 11.6% gain from the year prior. The vehicle has been in Toyota's lineup for two decades, but it's really coming into its own with the fourth-generation, rolled out in 2013.
I got a chance to drive the RAV4 Platinum over the course of a week — here's what it was like:

Toyota RAV4 review: PHOTOS, FEATURES - Business Insider

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Whoa! - For that kind of money ($36K plus) we could have a Highlander LE V6 or even the Highlander LE V6 Hybrid. The RAV4 Platinum apparently is completely platinum-plated!

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Honda's CR-V, the best-selling crossover in the United States, has achieved seven straight years of sale gains.
And my SIL just joined the other side yesterday! Bought a CR-V Touring yesterday after getting $15K (I think) for her offending VW TDI.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
And my SIL just joined the other side yesterday! Bought a CR-V Touring yesterday after getting $15K (I think) for her offending VW TDI.
I would have kept the VW TDI unless there was some other problem with it or it has very high mileage. The fuel mileage with the CR-V will be much less than with the VW, and the agreement between VW, the EPA, and various state agencies specifies that VW's pollution control remedies must not have a great affect upon fuel mileage.

My sister also has a TDI and she is waiting until VW's fix is installed to see what affect it will have on mileage and performance. The agreement gives owners until next year to make up their minds and if they wish, they will still be able to use VW's buyback offer.

In this part of Oregon there isn't any state smog testing and the TDI owners here that I know are keeping their vehicles, and won't have to have VW's remedies installed.

Jim
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
In this part of Oregon there isn't any state smog testing and the TDI owners here that I know are keeping their vehicles, and won't have to have VW's remedies installed.
Since she's in RI which has emissions testing I don't think she had the option of keeping it. I do know she really liked the VW.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
Since she's in RI which has emissions testing I don't think she had the option of keeping it. I do know she really liked the VW.
My sister lives in CA and they have emissions testing there. Maybe the California situation is different from that in RI. CA owners have a choice as to whether to participate in VW's buyback program, or keep their VW and see what happens when VW's remedial repair has been made. Then after the repair they have the choice of either still keeping their VW or of yet participating in the buyback program.

Jim
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page