Review: Creader 8001 Diagnostic Scanner from Launch Tech - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV4 News, Reviews & Videos Share your RAV4 news articles, reviews or videos here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
I just looked at my 8001, and sure enough, it has Mercedes Sprinter listed as one of the options. I've got it updated with the latest codes and firmware from June. The Sprinter engine options are Diesel, Gasoline, or NGT (natural gas). The systems you can diagnose are Airbag, Electronic Stability Program and ABS. Of course on the OBD II side, you can also read engine and emissions codes. You can also retrieve ABS and SRS codes on the WRX with this unit, something the basic code readers cannot do.
Thanks JuneBug, I really appreciate you taking the time to check that for me.

I'm an electro-mechanical tech, but I've only used basic code readers like the ScanGaugeII or the tool used when reprogramming an ECU. My impression is that Mercedes (and to a lesser extent other auto mfrs) intentionally use proprietary codes that can only be read with Mercedes test equipment that costs something like $20,000.

That's part of the reason I've held off on buying a diagnostic scanner -- I've been led to believe that there are many cases where the code(s) either cannot be read, or worse, will be read incorrectly.

Again, I don't expect you (or anyone here) to be familiar with the Sprinter -- I have a post up over on Sprinter-Source.com -- but have you (or anyone else) run into situations with a RAV4 where the code(s) had to be read at the dealer using their extra-special, top-secret scanner?

Question about the Creader -- I read on Amazon that updates are free. Is that true? Are there any 'gotchas' or strings attached?

The reason I ask is that others, like Autel charge a significant fee, like $100, for updates.

It looks like I will not be able to use the ScanPrint function (unless I purchase a Windows 7 laptop somewhere). Is there anything else that won't work with Windows 10?

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

1997 / 4 door / AWD / 5MT / Torsen rear diff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,783 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post

Question about the Creader -- I read on Amazon that updates are free. Is that true? Are there any 'gotchas' or strings attached?

The reason I ask is that others, like Autel charge a significant fee, like $100, for updates.

It looks like I will not be able to use the ScanPrint function (unless I purchase a Windows 7 laptop somewhere). Is there anything else that won't work with Windows 10?
Yes, updates are free. When I first got it, I immediately updated it to the February version. The latest version I updated to is from June 29. So they put them out regularly. I find it easier to remove the microSD card and update that--it seems to work faster than plugging the 8001 into the USB as an external drive.

Nope, that's it. The problem is the USB driver--same problem when running Techstream. But with the 8001, the only thing lost is that scanprint function.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
sajohnson (07-28-2017)
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Yes, updates are free. When I first got it, I immediately updated it to the February version. The latest version I updated to is from June 29. So they put them out regularly. I find it easier to remove the microSD card and update that--it seems to work faster than plugging the 8001 into the USB as an external drive.

Nope, that's it. The problem is the USB driver--same problem when running Techstream. But with the 8001, the only thing lost is that scanprint function.
I've found the same with cameras -- it's much faster to use the memory card to transfer files.

To be clear, the ScanPrint function is only used to print data and graphs from the Creader, is that correct? Offhand, I can't think of any reason I'd want to do that (although it might come in handy at some point). If not other functions are affected then that's not a big deal.

It's going in the Amazon cart!

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
To be clear, the ScanPrint function is only used to print data and graphs from the Creader, is that correct? Offhand, I can't think of any reason I'd want to do that (although it might come in handy at some point). If not other functions are affected then that's not a big deal.
Yep, that's right.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

sajohnson (07-29-2017)
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does this scanner reads auto transmission fluid temperature?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:26 PM

Updates with Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit

I don't mean to wear you out with questions about Windows 10, but in reading through the Q&As on Amazon, there is some confusion as to whether Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit (or ANY version of Windows other than EE) can be used to download and install the free updates.

I asked the question on Amazon and received no answer.

I've also emailed Launch twice now with the same question -- no reply.

It seems odd that they would not reply in either case, since they did reply very quickly when I asked them to email me a comparison chart (that is very handy BTW). Also, they seem very good about answering questions on Amazon promptly.

The lack of a reply has me concerned.

I know you said above that you have received updates. Which OS were you using? I apologize if you already said.

I'm guessing from your posts above that Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit probably will work but after what I read on Amazon -- and the fact that I've gotten nothing but silence from Launch <chirp-chirp> -- I figured I'd better double-check.

The free updates are one of the most attractive features of the Creader, I want to make sure I'll be able to get them.

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico23zinx View Post
You might ask over on Amazon.

Despite my difficulty getting a reply to my question from Launch (see post above), most people seem to get answers pretty quickly.

IDK how much it will help, since my experience is with the ScanGauge II, but it is a pretty basic code reader and it will read ATF temp -- depending upon the vehicle. With our Sprinter cab-chassis it works, but it was sort of a hack. MB isn't exactly helpful when it comes to providing information. Someone above my pay grade figured out the magic numbers (3 sets!). I entered them manually and now it reads ATF temp. It's kinda cool to see how ATF temp typically lags coolant temp -- it takes longer to warm up and longer to cool down.

Like I said, the ScanGauge isn't fancy, so I'd guess the Creader 8001 should be able to do the same. Definitely something to confirm with Launch if it is a deal breaker for you.

Their email is: salesonlineus [at] cnlaunch [dot] com

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico23zinx View Post
No, unfortunately it does not. When I need to read transmission temperature I use Torque on my Android tablet or Techstream with my laptop.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I don't mean to wear you out with questions about Windows 10, but in reading through the Q&As on Amazon, there is some confusion as to whether Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit (or ANY version of Windows other than EE) can be used to download and install the free updates.

I asked the question on Amazon and received no answer.

I've also emailed Launch twice now with the same question -- no reply.
The operating system is irrelevant. You take the microSD card out of the Creader and using the supplied USB adapter plug it into your computer. You can manually download the new firmware and vehicle data directly to the SD card or you can let the Creader update software do it for you. I found it downloads much faster this way than plugging the Creader into the USB port. I've done this with my Windows 7 laptop, and my Windows 10 machine with no problems.

sajohnson (08-05-2017)
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The operating system is irrelevant. You take the microSD card out of the Creader and using the supplied USB adapter plug it into your computer. You can manually download the new firmware and vehicle data directly to the SD card or you can let the Creader update software do it for you. I found it downloads much faster this way than plugging the Creader into the USB port. I've done this with my Windows 7 laptop, and my Windows 10 machine with no problems.
Excellent, thank you JuneBug.

I became concerned when I saw this answer from Launch Tech on Amazon:

~~~~~

Question: What should i do to update this scan tool?

Answer: Dear friend,

Go to the Launch official website:
http://www.dbscar.com/pad/landingPag...ine8001.action
to download and install the updating tool.
The software only supports Windows XP, Window 7, Windows 8(enterprise version) and Windows 10 (enterprise version) operating system.
Then launch the update tool and download some vehicle software into the micro card on the computer, reinsert the card into the tool and power this tool, you can complete the registration process.
Thanks for your support. see less
By LaunchDirect SELLER on March 8, 2017

~~~~~

Edit: I added the bold text and underlining.

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page