Review: Creader 8001 Diagnostic Scanner from Launch Tech - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV4 News, Reviews & Videos Share your RAV4 news articles, reviews or videos here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Looking for info on various Creader models

The people at Launch Tech emailed me a Creader comparison chart.

The 8001 looks very good, but it lacks the ability to cycle the ABS when bleeding the brakes, as well as the DPF (diesel particulate filter) reset.

I realize the latter doesn't apply to RAV4s, but it does apply to our Sprinter.

The ABS cycling is nice to have.

The 7001F does have those 2 capabilities, but it lacks ABS/SRS ECU coverage.

What's a boy to do?

I noticed that there is a Creader 9081 for sale on Amazon for ~$250:

https://www.amazon.com/Scanner-Launc...f=pd_sbs_263_6

I'm guessing that with the higher model # and higher price it has more features and might do all of the above.

I went searching for info on how the 9081 compares to the 8001 and checked the following 2 websites:

https://launchtechusa.com

汽车•…šœŠ–*仪_汽车Š–*仪_汽车€‹ 设‡_Ÿ油车Š–*仪_汽车维修解*™_ œ‚…ƒ征‘Š€‚份œ‰™…司

[Edit] I have no idea about the strange symbols above. I pasted a normal web address. The website was in English.

Strangely, I did not see any of the Creaders (4001/6001/7001/7001F/8001/8011/8021) at either of those sites. The units shown were completely different.

Any idea why? Should I be looking at a different site?

I'd like to make sure that I order the best unit for my use.

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

1997 / 4 door / AWD / 5MT / Torsen rear diff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 04:24 AM

Creader 8001 now $110 on Amazon

I just ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
BTW -- I forgot to mention that the Creader 8001 that's sold by another 3rd party vendor came up on Amazon by default. I just happened to notice the 8001 being sold by Launch Direct and fulfilled by Amazon right before I ordered.

I'm not sure if purchasing from Launch Direct was an option before and I just didn't notice but in any case, not only is it $28 less, there was also a one (1) day free shipping option. As a Prime member, I've seen that occasionally. The default is always the 2 day free shipping. Usually there is an additional charge for 1 day shipping, but every once in awhile Amazon offers it for free.

The other Amazon vendor's free shipping would have taken a week or more. I just checked and they are no longer listed -- only Launch Direct.

NewEgg wants $130 and their site says: "Ships from China. Most customers receive within 9-18 days."

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:07 PM

Unusual email from LaunchDirect

I can't recall ever receiving an email like this from vendor:

~~~~~

Dear friend,

Thank you for purchasing our product. And here we want to remind you to pay attention to something in using this device. Also here are some instructions you can refer to in the attachment.

1. If you have any problems about technical support and after-sale service, please contact us but not Launch Tech USA (we and Launch Tech USA are competitors actually).

2. I think it's necessary for you to know that the product Launch Creader you bought needs to be updated and registered before using it.

About the upgrade process, you can refer to the Launch Creader Product Upgrade Process in the attachment. launch creader product upgrade process.docx

You need turn off your anti-virus software if you cannot download the updating tool successfully, for the anti-virus software may prevent it.

3. If you find it comes with Chinese ,you can contact us and give us the screenshot, we will tell you how to change the language.

4. Additionally, when you find this product is not compatible with your car, please tell me your car car model, VIN and the year, and the product serial number, then we will find out the problem and give you reply as soon as possible.

If you have any problem in using the product, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards.

~~~~~

I don't know what make of that.

The following text from that email (above) was a link: [launch creader product upgrade process.docx]

It leads to an Amazon page with the following message:

~~~~~

You are about to be redirected to a page not controlled by Amazon.

Link URL: http://www.bqool-email.com/click?A=O...1-EE64D479B46D

Since this website is not operated by Amazon, we cannot verify the authenticity, content, or security of this domain. While the link could be legitimate, please remember the following:

Never give out your Amazon username and password on a non-Amazon domain.
Amazon employees will never ask you for your password.
Never fulfill an order with instructions other than what is given in the Orders page on Seller Central
Only open files and attachments from people and websites you trust.

PROCEED BACK TO SAFETY

~~~~~

As Amazon says, "...the link could be legitimate..."

Anyone else receive an email like that?

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:35 PM

Creader seems to be working -- finally

LaunchDirect emailed and asked about my experience with the Creader 8001. I replied (in part):

~~~~~

I downloaded and installed "Creader series update.exe"

I followed the instructions located here (per your answer on Amazon): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B11...dCVXhwSTQ/view

I entered serial number, my email address, and register code and got the following message:

*** Product Registration Failed! Registered by others! ***

Why am I seeing that message?

~~~~~

To their credit, they replied quickly and asked for screenshots and the S/N.

In the meantime I had backed out of the screen that said [*** Product Registration Failed! Registered by others! ***] and tried again from the beginning. Finally I got to the page where you can download the data.

I deselected the makes that are not sold in the US and clicked 'download'.

It got to 2% and then I saw a message that said: "Your selected DIY disc has been pulled out!"

I think the included USB adapter for the micro SD card is bad. My laptop did not see the card, even though I did get the audio indication that I had inserted a USB device.

I took the Creader micro SD card and put it in an SDHC card adapter from my camera and inserted it in the card reader in my laptop and it seemed to work. In fact, it loaded pretty fast (just data for US makes though). I didn't time it but it took just a few minutes.

I placed the micro SD card back in the Creader and did the System Upgrade. It seems to be working. I need to plug it into a few different vehicles to confirm.

PS: The LaunchDirect instructions here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B11...dCVXhwSTQ/view

still say that the "Upgrade requires Windows XP, 7, 8 (Enterprise Edition), 10 (Enterprise Edition). I mentioned to LaunchDirect that those instructions are misleading, and may be hurting their sales because very few people have the 'Enterprise Edition' of Windows 8 or 10 and most people are not going to buy a code reader they cannot upgrade/update (I only did because of what JuneBug said above). They replied and said they would change it.

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Last edited by sajohnson; 08-10-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page