Review: Creader 8001 Diagnostic Scanner from Launch Tech - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV4 News, Reviews & Videos Share your RAV4 news articles, reviews or videos here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,784 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Review: Creader 8001 Diagnostic Scanner from Launch Tech

I recently obtained a new code scanner--It's the Creader model 8001 by a company called Launch Tech. I hesitate to call this product a code reader--it is a truly professional diagnostic scanner that can not only read generic OBDII codes, but also proprietary codes from at least 42 different vehicle manufacturers. I've been evaluating it for about a week, and thought a review was in order. Here is the box and what you'll find inside:

The scanner itself seems very well made and rugged, with a nicely cushioned housing. Included in the box is the OBD cable, a USB cable, microSD card reader, and quick start guide that all fits in a nice zippered case. The scanner has a 4" color TFT screen, 4 quick function keys, a D-pad, OK, and escape buttons. On the top of the unit is a DB-15 connector where the OBD cable connects. At the bottom is a microSD slot holding an 8MB microSD card which contains the firmware and diagnostic routines for different vehicles. Next to the slot is a mini USB port for a cable to connect to your computer.

Before using it for the first time there are a couple of things to take care of. The first thing to do is plug the USB cable from the scanner to your computer. At this point the unit will boot up and ask if you want to check on a new version. If you click OK for yes, the unit will go into mass storage mode and look like an external drive on your computer:

The unit can be updated in 2 ways: by removing the microSD card and using the included reader to write the update files directly to the card. Or you can use the USB cable and update the files directly to the scanner.

To download the updated firmware and diags, use the Launch Update Tool:

From here you can see the latest firmware updates, as well as the newest vehicle specific diagnostic files. Launch updates these files regularly as new models come out:

After updating the files, a reboot of the scanner will ask if you want to upgrade, choose OK for yes:

When the scanner boots up, you will see this power up screen:

The scanner will then go the main menu, where your choices are Diagnose, Record Mode, Settings, and Help:

Clicking on Diagnose will bring up two options, OBDII/EOBD and Scan. Choosing OBDII will bring up the generic code reader for any vehicle. Choosing Scan will allow you to scan manufacturer specific codes, like Scion/Toyota:

Next, the Toyota screen will show 3 choices:

Let's choose Diagnose which allows us to check codes relating to the ABS/VSC/Traction Control, Electro-Mechanical Power Steering, or SRS Airbag system:

By choosing ABS, you can look at wheel sensor data live as the vehicle is being driven. If a wheel sensor is bad or acting up, you will see it immediately:

The data refreshes about 2 times a second making it easy to troubleshoot and diagnose most problems. You can check the status of all ABS related switches and see them respond in real time:

Up to 4 different parameters can be graphed during a test drive. Each parameter is shown in a different color. In this example, maximum speed is shown as 69 mph and RPM maxed out at 5032:

Going back to the main menu, if you click on OBDII, the scanner will attempt to communicate with the engine computer using every known protocol. My RAV4 uses the CAN bus 11 bit standard:

Once connected, a menu will allow you to choose to review codes, review live data in the datastream, review freeze frame data, and upload data to a computer or printer:

If you choose Review DTC, you get these choices:

You can also use the 4 buttons on the front panel to go directly to DTC codes, Erase codes, Inspection/Maintenance readiness, or Help. Under the Help menu, you can enter any code and it will look it up, even manufacturer specific codes:

Now, suppose you have saved data that you want to transfer to your computer. Here I have a few sessions from my RAV4 along with several from a 2015 Chevy:

At this point you would connect the scanner to your computer and run the Launch Update Tool again. After entering the serial number of the scanner, you will get the Print Manager option:

Continued in next post....

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
jsusanka (04-22-2017), sajohnson (07-02-2017), stefgro (05-06-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Review: Creader 8001 Diagnostic Scanner from Launch Tech (cont'd)

After clicking on Print Manager, the ScanPrint utility will appear allowing you do download saved data from the scanner and save it as a text file or print it out:

I am going to give 2 thumbs up to this Creader 8001 scanner. It works exactly as advertised. The only cons I can find is the lack of a comprehensive user's manual, and the fact that the ScanPrint function would not work on my Windows 10 machines. Without a good user's manual, I feel that I've only scratched the surface of what this thing can do. The quick start guide that's provided only gives basic information, mostly about how to update the firmware and diags. The problem with ScanPrint seems to be related to the USB com driver emulation. I don't think the drive was written with a 64-bit OS in mind. But this is just a minor bug and can be fixed in the future. Launch seems to update the firmware and data files regularly.

Now for the cost. Amazon is currently selling the 8001 for less than $115, which is a good value in my opinion. There are other models in the Creader series, some do more, some less. This 8001 model seems to be right in the middle. It gives a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm going to attach a few more screen grabs from the scanner to give a little more idea of what this scanner can do:

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
jsusanka (04-22-2017), razorpit (04-24-2017), RTexasF (04-22-2017), sajohnson (07-02-2017)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
This is just a reader correct? In other words I couldn't use it to program in the summer wheel TPS' after swapping them out with the winter tires right?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post
This is just a reader correct? In other words I couldn't use it to program in the summer wheel TPS' after swapping them out with the winter tires right?
Correct. It can do some of the things Techstream can do, but not all of them. It can't program TPMS sensors or keys.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
jbwood5 (05-27-2017), razorpit (04-25-2017)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Great Review

Thanks for the review of this scanner. I've been thinking of getting one and this one looks good to me. I don't need it to do everything but if it can do the simple things, that would be good. If I can't fix my car's mechanical problems, I can at least get a good idea of what they really are. That's good info to know BEFORE having a car in the shop. Appreciate the time you put into posting this. Well done! :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed_B For This Useful Post:
JuneBug (05-26-2017)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thank you for all of the effort you put into this review!

It's a shame the scanner doesn't work with Windows 10 machines.

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

1997 / 4 door / AWD / 5MT / Torsen rear diff
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
Thank you for all of the effort you put into this review!

It's a shame the scanner doesn't work with Windows 10 machines.
Hopefully when they update the USB driver it will work with Win 10.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Currently price is $138 per scanner

https://www.amazon.com/Scanner-Launc...r+8001+scanner
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BourneSupremacy View Post
Currently price is $138 per scanner

https://www.amazon.com/Scanner-Launc...r+8001+scanner
I wish I'd seen this review sooner!

Still a good deal at $138.

I noticed that in answering a question, the seller said:

"The software only supports Windows XP, Window 7, Windows 8(enterprise version) and Windows 10 (enterprise version) operating system."

Very few people have the "enterprise version" of Windows 10, but it looks like you can do a lot even without being able to connect to your computer.

My primary concern is actually not reading the codes on the RAV4. Since it's going on 21 years old almost any code reader will suffice. Our other cars are a 1993 Nisson NX2000 and a 2002 Subaru WRX. Again, the more basic code readers I have will work for the WRX.

What I am really interested in is whether it will work on a 2008 Sprinter 3500 cab-chassis. I don't expect anyone here to know, but that's something I need to find out.

I hope so, because this Creader 8001 looks like a nice unit for the money.

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

1997 / 4 door / AWD / 5MT / Torsen rear diff
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post

My primary concern is actually not reading the codes on the RAV4. Since it's going on 21 years old almost any code reader will suffice. Our other cars are a 1993 Nisson NX2000 and a 2002 Subaru WRX. Again, the more basic code readers I have will work for the WRX.

What I am really interested in is whether it will work on a 2008 Sprinter 3500 cab-chassis. I don't expect anyone here to know, but that's something I need to find out.
I just looked at my 8001, and sure enough, it has Mercedes Sprinter listed as one of the options. I've got it updated with the latest codes and firmware from June. The Sprinter engine options are Diesel, Gasoline, or NGT (natural gas). The systems you can diagnose are Airbag, Electronic Stability Program and ABS. Of course on the OBD II side, you can also read engine and emissions codes. You can also retrieve ABS and SRS codes on the WRX with this unit, something the basic code readers cannot do.

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
sajohnson (07-27-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page