[Jalopnik] The Toyota RAV4 Has Become The Automotive Equivalent Of Selling Out - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV4 News, Reviews & Videos Share your RAV4 news articles, reviews or videos here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RAV4 grown big and fat.

I love my 1998 RAV4 hardtop. Had it for 13 years and don't intend to part with it. It's up a bit higher amongst the traffic, handles really well with that short wheelbase, performs well and fits nicely in my restricted driveway. There is nothing I don't like about it, and despite the small size I can still haul quite a bit of bulk in the back with the seats folded up. I look at the later model RAV4's and feel sad, but if Toyota are just following markets trends and forces then that's what they must do I guess. But I would love to be able to buy a new RAV4 similar in size to my '98. The later (early 2000's) RAV4's were a nice compact size too, but from there on they grew bigger and bigger. Maybe one day I will upgrade if I can find a decent used one, but for now I am happy with what I've got.

A cynic is he who has a heightened sense of the real world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M98DUA For This Useful Post:
cute2wd (08-05-2018), Techsus (02-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I also love my first gen. Rav4. I like it's size and don't feel that my '12 is any bigger inside in a useful way. The cargo floor of the '99 is metal and flat and has useful tie down points compared to the '12 floor which is plastic and sloped to the rear over a storage compartment in the back. I'm going to have to beef it up to support a load of more than about a hundred pounds.

The rear seats are out of my '99 and even though my newer Rav has fold flat seats, I may have to take them out to get decent tie downs and make the floor flat.

But I realize that I'm not an average consumer. And there's no reason for Toyota or any car manufacturer to care about the small market segments when millions of people apparently want what they've been designing and building.
I would love to see Toyota market something more like the original Rav4 but they would have to put in or make available so much electronic stuff and cutesy design elements to make it appealling to lots of people, that it would be ruined for those people who want something that emphasizes the Utility aspect in SUV, CUV etc.

1999 RAV4 L 2wd silver 187k miles
1999 4runner 4x4 "Highlander" Jade 155k miles
2005 Tundra 4x4 DC black 167k miles
2012 RAV4 4wd I4 blue 60k miles
The Following User Says Thank You to cute2wd For This Useful Post:
Techsus (02-12-2019)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M98DUA View Post
I love my 1998 RAV4 hardtop. Had it for 13 years and don't intend to part with it. It's up a bit higher amongst the traffic, handles really well with that short wheelbase, performs well and fits nicely in my restricted driveway. There is nothing I don't like about it, and despite the small size I can still haul quite a bit of bulk in the back with the seats folded up. I look at the later model RAV4's and feel sad, but if Toyota are just following markets trends and forces then that's what they must do I guess. But I would love to be able to buy a new RAV4 similar in size to my '98. The later (early 2000's) RAV4's were a nice compact size too, but from there on they grew bigger and bigger. Maybe one day I will upgrade if I can find a decent used one, but for now I am happy with what I've got.
Mine is the 1997 model but looks just like yours. No intention of parting with it at all as there's nothing on the current market that appeals to me as much. At 230K miles now, and in great shape.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamguy For This Useful Post:
Techsus (02-12-2019)

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could never get by the awful side swinging rear door with spare tire attached. I liked everything else but never bought one because of it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Like the swing door but not crazy about the attached spare tire. Love everything else about it and really wish I could retrofit it with an infotainment center.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't care one way or the other about the swinging door. Yes, a lift door would be better when it's raining and I guess you could leave a lift door up to accommodate a long item which wouldn't work with the swing door but there are so many other good qualities about the older ones that I can't complain.

1999 RAV4 L 2wd silver 187k miles
1999 4runner 4x4 "Highlander" Jade 155k miles
2005 Tundra 4x4 DC black 167k miles
2012 RAV4 4wd I4 blue 60k miles
The Following User Says Thank You to cute2wd For This Useful Post:
Techsus (02-12-2019)
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I've petitioned the Powers-that-Be to re-fashion the Banner atop this page to include, of all things, a GEN-1 RAV4. I strongly believe the Progenitor of our RAV4 World Forum deserves to be in this venerable mural. Every time I sign in, ever hopeful, I [email protected]@K to see if a 1996-2000 has been added. If I even buy a new car, it's going to be a GEN-1 Toyota.

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Nothing against any of the earlier models, but the styling of the 5th Generation appeals to me more. It does seem that the 5th Generation is polarizing, either you love it or you hate it, but I really like it. Once again, no disrespect to precious generations.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
some people just complain to hear themselves complain! out with the old, in with the new. if you don't like it, just buy an old one with a million miles on it and pay no heed to the 19's right??
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Who can add the GEN-1 RAV4 to our Forum's banner?

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page