Another new Toyota RAV4 spontaneously caught fire - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
RAV4 News, Reviews & Videos Share your RAV4 news articles, reviews or videos here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
With all due respect, wild speculation doesn’t help anything. Acetone in the coolant and propane in the AC lines might happen with an older vehicle being held together by spit and good intentions, but these are newer vehicles still in their warranty period (by time at least). Hyundai and Kia have numerous models which may be subject to fires (see recent news releases) but have yet to determine a cause. Battery voltage can in fact be high enough with a regular 12V to do some serious damage - have you ever jumped the terminals on a starter solenoid to bump an engine? I don’t recommend it unless you know what you’re doing. Ever heard what happens if you join the posts on a battery? Same.

Bottom line, we don’t have info yet, but these vehicles are too new to have gotten such shadetree “fixes” applied to them. Shall we wait for more info before dismissing it as a fraud?

Current Fleet (of 2)
2012 RAV4 2.5 2WD Base
2017 Golf TSi Auto

Easy now, it's actually our 3rd Toyota!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foryota View Post
With all due respect, wild speculation doesn’t help anything. Acetone in the coolant and propane in the AC lines might happen with an older vehicle being held together by spit and good intentions, but these are newer vehicles still in their warranty period (by time at least). Hyundai and Kia have numerous models which may be subject to fires (see recent news releases) but have yet to determine a cause. Battery voltage can in fact be high enough with a regular 12V to do some serious damage - have you ever jumped the terminals on a starter solenoid to bump an engine? I don’t recommend it unless you know what you’re doing. Ever heard what happens if you join the posts on a battery? Same.

Bottom line, we don’t have info yet, but these vehicles are too new to have gotten such shadetree “fixes” applied to them. Shall we wait for more info before dismissing it as a fraud?

Speculations on my account or the journos? I tried to show how far they went down the road of selling news and trying to agitate the audience while knowing close to 0.
Regarding other questions- did all that, more than once for various reasons, neither 'scary' nor relevant. 12V is perfectly safe voltage, you can touch it with bare hands and you won't feel anything, Hollywood lied in most cases.
It's energy that does it, not voltage. I'm well aware of low internal resistance of the battery and level of currents it can produce for a few seconds resulting in few kW power released which is perfectly enough to ignite something flammable. Example with something across its posts is not valid, modern cars usually have something like 150A fusible link installed right at the positive post disconnecting battery if such short develops in the harness. In reality only few wires originating from the battery are capable to conduct such currents. There could be the case that thick wire starts rubbing something and creates a short. The short might be not 'short enough' to exceed 150A and burn fusible link but quite enough to create smoke and local hot spot resulting in a lot of smoke and it will have distinct electrical smell due to insulation burning. It will still not start fast fire like that in the cabin, behind firewall, just a lot of smoke.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You obviously have extensive electrical expertise. However please try reading my post in the context in which it was written. My last paragraph sums it up, we should wait for more info rather than flinging fraud accusations around (as the tone of your message implies). Let’s keep it friendly here, and show some respect in the face of so many unknown details. Have a good weekend.

Current Fleet (of 2)
2012 RAV4 2.5 2WD Base
2017 Golf TSi Auto

Easy now, it's actually our 3rd Toyota!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foryota View Post
You obviously have extensive electrical expertise. However please try reading my post in the context in which it was written. My last paragraph sums it up, we should wait for more info rather than flinging fraud accusations around (as the tone of your message implies). Let’s keep it friendly here, and show some respect in the face of so many unknown details. Have a good weekend.

My point was different too- news should wait for more info before starting speculating about 'mysterious problems leading to fires in brand new Toyota vehicles'. Such speculations have direct impact on sales numbers as they create fear and uncertainty in the potential customers, in this case completely baseless. It used to be their direct duty to find out what the mystery is before printing. In the era of the Internet that step became optional. Since now it is open season to come up with such news I considered I'm free to contribute to ridiculousness of the situation. It's not like my post damaged any real info as it was 0 anyway.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:31 PM

In the other news: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...lready-started
it sounds like car market is reshaping and SUV segment becomes overpopulated that IMO naturally causes Toyota's vehicle explosions
Just like in 2008 - 2010 ppl were unable to stop their Toyotas due to fall in sales of NA made cars. At that time I tried to find reliable description of the problem and couldn't, all went by 'just trust us' hype. I'm not a Toyota fan by any means (stripped cylinder bolts or whining transmissions anyone?) but I think we should maintain some common sense approach to problems.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Was foul play ruled out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page