Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New Headlight Test .... Ouch!

93K views 103 replies 46 participants last post by  marcuslaw 
#1 ·
#43 ·
The Limited LED headlight assemblies are totally different from the XLE. They have purpose-built LED panels inside with the focusing projector designed around them. Although you can get LED replacement inserts which replicate the light output of the halogen bulbs, they are far from perfect and will have a different light pattern due to the offset from the real halogen bulb's hot filament as compared to the LED's two or more central emitters.

Toyota would have to prove that some problem with the vehicle was caused by using replacement LED bulbs. You have nothing to worry about regarding the warranty.

#48 ·
Probably something must be done through the diagnostic hookup. I believe the LEDs are self-leveling so that would be up to the offset stored in the body computer which houses the accelerometers used for stability control and anti-sway systems.
Not on all models, and I don't think so on the Rav4, at least its not listed as a feature on any of them in 2016.
Well in that case, a long Phillips head screwdriver will engage the adjuster on the back of each headlight bucket like the non-LED models. There's a crown-shaped cap on the adjuster which will be turned by engaging the 4 prongs on the tip of the screwdriver when aligned by the slot along the back of the headlight. They are easily visible with a flashlight at the back side of each headlight assembly.

I can't understand why your "mechanic" couldn't figure this out. I routinely adjust mine up against a wall in a nearby shopping center parking lot. At 25 feet distance, the hot-spot on each low-beam should be approximately 3-4 inches lower than the center of the headlight when measured at the vehicle. As you back away from the wall, the hot-spots should begin to lower toward the ground and the sharp cutoff should also be heading downward as you retreat.

Adjust for even beams from left and right headlight and then go drive (at night) to verify. Take note of how many screwdriver turns you make on each side as you fine-tune the headlight adjusters so they'll stay even between both assemblies. It's not rocket-science. All you need is a small flashlight and a long #2 Phillips screwdriver.

#45 ·
Probably something must be done through the diagnostic hookup. I believe the LEDs are self-leveling so that would be up to the offset stored in the body computer which houses the accelerometers used for stability control and anti-sway systems.

#47 ·
I would like to see actual photos of these led light beams projected on a wall about 20 feet from the car. Not a photo of the camera looking directly into the light. Based on the viewing I have seen on the internet, there is a wide variety of beam patterns on the bulbs, with some better than others. It's the beam pattern and control of the light output that is the most important here. Bulb prices seem to vary widely. Some bulbs have a very defined cut-off on top, others have a less defined one. The very sharp cut off focuses more light onto the road, but then there is this pronounced 'light-dark' line that is often distracting, especially in hilly or wooded country. Some have mentioned getting flashed when passengers are in the back seat. It's the sharp cut-off and its focus that hits the oncoming driver. Old headlights were more diffuse and one might not have noticed the glare as much, but often the headlights were not well adjusted to begin with (and usually set up with no one in the car). They were often set rather high to get 'extra' light down the road. Now days, the alignment of the headlights is more exacting, due to the cut-off.

#53 ·
I would like to see actual photos of these led light beams projected on a wall about 20 feet from the car. [...] Some have mentioned getting flashed when passengers are in the back seat.
I'll take some pictures of ours tonight against the garage wall since I was the one mentioning being flashed when someone's in the back seat.

#49 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2016 XLE Hybrid and replaced the stock halogen bulbs, which are Philips, with Philips CrystalVision Ultra. They are wonderful and are nearly as good as my HIDS with adaptive lights on my RX 350. The CrystalVision bulbs are 4300K and are nearly identical in color to the HID's. I've never had as wonderful lights as with my RX 350, especially when you use the fogs as well, but the 16 XLE Hybrid with the new lights, again with the fogs on, is nearly as good. No complaints here at all.

#50 ·
The Crystalvision ultra do look good, but my only issue was the longevity. They do not last long at all, especially driving lots at night like I do. The Sylvania Silverstar Ultra lasts longer, but I cannot find them for the 2016 RAV4. I've considered the LED upgrades for both the headlights and driving lights, but it needs the CANBUS adapters. I've pretty much settled on this set on Amazon as they were able to answer all of my questions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...fl_title_17?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AND3QAITCXTE

#52 ·
Nope - but if there's no electronic self-adjusting mechanism, there has to be a manually adjustable mechanism. Take your pick - it either has self adjusting headlights or it doesn't. I have a 2016 XLE hybrid with manual adjusters. Every Toyota I've seen or driven which had factory LEDs or HID headlamps had auto-adjusters including my old 2004 Prius. I'd bet the SE and Limited Rav4's have auto-adjusters and the dealer just didn't know how to fix them through his diagnostic tool.

#55 ·
I, too, am a little concerned about longevity of the CrystalVision Ultra's, especially since they are on also as the daytime running lights. Unfortunately, there aren't too many 9012 bulbs available. I would have considered the ExtremeVision but that is not available in the 9012

#56 ·
The battery on my DSLR was dead so had to settle for my cell phone for now. The lenses of the projectors were exactly 20ft away from the wall and I had my cell phone at headlight level as I was sitting on the ground leaning up against the front of the vehicle. There were no other lights on in the garage, just the headlights. Once my DSLR battery recharges (probably tomorrow) I'll take some better pictures where I have better control over exposure among other variables.

Attachments

#57 ·
Okay, went out and took some more pictures. First one is of the driver/left beam only, second is of the passenger/right beam only, and the last one is of both beams in the low beam setting. I didn't manage to get any of the high beams. Interestingly enough you can see a notched cutout in both shutters where it's lower towards the left side of the beam for oncoming traffic, though the notched cutout of the passenger beam gets filled in by the right most side of the driver beam. I had the tripod and camera set in the middle of the vehicle by the Toyota logo at headlight level. I was standing beside the car with the remote trigger for the camera.

Attachments

#61 ·
Just to follow up. It turns out the LED is very simple to adjust up and down.
Image attached, there's a large wheel on the back of the housing that looks like a nut attached to a large washer. It has teeth on the side. You can use a 10mm wrench to turn it or there's a slot to the side for using a screwdriver to engage the teeth. Clockwise lowers the beam. I gave mine about a full turn to lower and will see how that works out. It might have been too much.

Attachments

#62 ·
Yup - exactly like the halogen headlight adjusters. When using a 10mm socket, clockwise is down. When using a screwdriver (long #2 Phillips) then clockwise is up. It takes about 4-5 turns of the screwdriver to equate to 1 turn of the 10mm socket.

There's a half-slot groove sort of thing molted into the back of the headlight housing to guide your screwdriver and make engaging the teeth on the adjuster easier.

Reactions: driz
#64 ·
New to the forum and new to the RAV4 - thanks to all for everything already posted on here.

I have the 2017 Hybrid Limited. I've never had LED projectors before, so when I first saw the notched cutoff, I assumed that there was a mistake with the headlight aiming. I went to the dealer and they raised the left bulb's aim, which turned out to be a mistake. I went back to the dealer and asked them to put the left beam back to how it was - I even drew them a diagram. While the cutoff profile is now pretty much back to normal, I'm noticing a "shadow" or "dead spot" at around the 7 o'clock position on the road directly in front of me. It's most noticeable when I'm making a turn.

Has anyone else noticed something similar? If so, is there a remedy? Unfortunately, I only had the RAV4 for a few days before I first took it in for the first adjustment, so I can't say for sure whether this shadow was present before or not.

#65 ·
Yes - I have a 2017 hybrid XLE - so i have halogen lights - but i have the same dead spot that you can't see if there are any animals or anything - i usually drive with my brights on because of that. I hate these lights - I think they are very unsafe because now you cannot see what is in front of you or if there are any animals (or people for that matter) out in front when you are on a road with no lights. Also, that moving horizontal line in my field of view is making me nauseous looking at it when i am driving - i hate these lights - they are the worst lights i have ever had on a car and am so disappointed in Toyota actually putting these on a vehicle.

#68 ·
Just to clarify, my deadspot is below the cutoff line - probably 5 - 10 feet in front of the bumper at about 7 o'clock. I'd probably describe it as a shadow more so than a totally dark spot. I hate to make another trip to the dealer if I don't have to so I'm going to see if I can access the vertical adjustment knob myself.

#69 ·
The dead spot on the left is to avoid blinding other drivers. The cut off line on the horizon is unfortunately the result of any projector headlight. The led lights are great but I'm not a fan of the sharp cut off line. The light output is great but I miss the good old days when the light would fade into the distance still giving you at least some light past that cut off point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.