New Sub Woofer - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.4 (2013-2018) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Sub Woofer

So i wanted to upgrade the bass in my Rav4. I got the JBL system from the factory, but the sub was just stupid. Like it literally did nothing. So i went to a bunch of audio shops and finally found one that would do what i wanted. They said they would take the rear cargo area apart and install a new sub in the stock location. I was happy they would.

They said that the stock inclosure is actually a really good ported box. so they just got a new JL sub and JL amp and installed it all stealthy like. It looks like the factory stuff except when you look at the speaker.

The sound is 1000X better than stock.

I would recommend this upgrade to anyone wanting more bass without sacrificing the stock look and cargo space.

I will add some pics later.

But it was a JL 8 inch sub and a JL amp. 500RMS with an audio controler and dedicated volume knob in the dash. it all looks so stock.

Love the sound.
The Following User Says Thank You to noom14921992 For This Useful Post:
tacogrande05 (10-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noom14921992 View Post
So i wanted to upgrade the bass in my Rav4. I got the JBL system from the factory, but the sub was just stupid. Like it literally did nothing. So i went to a bunch of audio shops and finally found one that would do what i wanted. They said they would take the rear cargo area apart and install a new sub in the stock location. I was happy they would.

They said that the stock inclosure is actually a really good ported box. so they just got a new JL sub and JL amp and installed it all stealthy like. It looks like the factory stuff except when you look at the speaker.

The sound is 1000X better than stock.

I would recommend this upgrade to anyone wanting more bass without sacrificing the stock look and cargo space.

I will add some pics later.

But it was a JL 8 inch sub and a JL amp. 500RMS with an audio controler and dedicated volume knob in the dash. it all looks so stock.

Love the sound.
I'm very interested in your upgrade/mod.
What year/trim is your rav4?
Do you have the entune audio or premium audio? Were your stock speakers regular JBL (6 speaker) or JBL Greenedge (11 speaker)?
What is the model name/number of your new JL sub and JL amp.

Sorry for all the questions I'm just really interested in tweaking my audio system as well.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Please upload photos if you don't mind.
I also noticed my 16 sub does nothing.

~ 2016 Toyota RAV4 Limited (Gas) Electric Blue ~

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbeecolo View Post
What year/trim is your rav4?

'17 Hybrid Ltd

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-...ml#post2220489

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So i have a 2016 Rav4 Limited Hybrid. It has the 11 speaker JBL audio system with the green edge speakers.

The stock subwoofer is not even branded just so you all know. The stereo guy laughed when he pulled it out. It is paper cone and foam surround. very cheap.

as for the stock amp, he said it was sending about 35 watts to the stock subwoofer RMS. so again, not anything powerful. he had a volt meter.

i wanted to get some pictures, but they cant allow people in there due to insurance. but he did say the stock enclosure is a very nice ported box that was very good. he did not have to remove it and replace it. he was surprised.

The speaker is a JL Audio 8W1v3-4 8" 4-ohm subwoofer. You can look it up on crutchfield. it is really a great little sub. fits in the stock location like a dream. you would never tell it was there.

The amp is also hidden. you cant find it. like it was super hidden. the amp is a JL Audio JX250/1 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 250 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms ( i was a little off on the first post, sorry). This amp can push and handle some power.

I also have a audio controller that keeps the system from curving off the bass as the volume goes up. The stock system will decrease bass Db and power as you increase system volume. This is to cut out distortion and to keep the system from blowing anything. but with a dedicated amp and upgraded sub, the controller keeps the signal constant and compensates for the signal being truncated and power levels curved down.

The last thing was a bass volume knob added to the dash. my car does not have a heated windshield or what ever comes in the spot by the seat heaters. so he punched out the plate and put the knob. it looks soooooo stock and it makes it so nice because sometimes you do not want as much bass, and sometimes you want it all. this wo so worth the price.

The dealer that installed all the stuff said this is the best small package for a stealth install for a sensible adult that does not want a huge box in his trunk. He said for the size of the Rav, if you went any bigger or higher you would over power the stock speakers. He said they are good and with this set up are complemented well. This is how the Rav should have come with a "Premium" system.

Over all i am soooooooooooooo happy with this install. I will post up some pictures of all the stuff i can. but if anyone is thinking about an upgrade but you did not want to loose any space or look like a kid with a huge box in the back, this is the way to go.

My dealer is a JL Audio Premier dealer and has even been 4th best custom audio shop in the world before. so they are good. You will pay a little more than other places or if you do it you self, but it was worth it to me.

It is like this,

Crutchfield would be about 550$ for all the stuff i got, and then you would have to try and figure out how to make it look and sound good.
Most other or normal shops in my area will not even touch the stock enclosure or locations and will not take the whole back end of a car apart to make a customer happy. they will just throw a big box in there and charge you 550$, or they will give you a smaller set up and charger you 650$.
The place i went charged me 700$ and it was EXACTLY what i wanted.

so thats what it comes down to. what do you want?

Will post pictures tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to noom14921992 For This Useful Post:
Butts (10-23-2016)
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Could you give me the dimensions of the sub enclosure? I don't know how to measure that.
Also how large i the amp area?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Sounds great
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Also where is the amp located in 2016 rav4 hybrid?
Anyone know? help!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
the stock amp is located behind the passenger side cargo area plastic. like its under the window in the rear cargo area. you have to literally dismantle the whole trunk to get to it and the speaker.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noom14921992 View Post
the stock amp is located behind the passenger side cargo area plastic. like its under the window in the rear cargo area. you have to literally dismantle the whole trunk to get to it and the speaker.
Any recollection on the stock speaker box size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page