Battery Longivity - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV Discuss anything Electric or Hybrid RAV4.4 (2013-2018) related.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I am considering getting a 2019 Rav4 and am wondering about battery longivity. How many of you are on your original battery and how long have you had the car and how many miles do you have on it? If you needed it replaced, how long after getting the car and how many miles on your car? What kind of climate do you live in? I live in the southwest where it can get up to 110-115 degrees in the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Garage
The 2016 HV was the first Rav4 HV available, so it's not likely anyone has had a traction battery replaced.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...d-up/index.htm

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/toyota/prius/

2019 XLE Premium AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickdtoo For This Useful Post:
marcuslaw (04-05-2019)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Rabid RAVer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Moreover, "[t]he lifespan of the hybrid battery (traction battery) can change in accordance with driving style and driving conditions." Toyota 2018 RAV4 HV Owner's Manual (OM42B81U), p. 81. Therefore, longevity is bound to vary from owner to owner and region to region.

RAV4 Hybrid LTD w/ATP

Hybrid Synergy Drive
194 NET HP w/ECVT, AWD-I

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
As others have noted, there's not enough of a track record for any definitive statements about the RAV4 Hybrid's longevity (although we're now into its fourth year, so some are getting pretty far along.)

That said, our family has been a two-hybrid one (both Prius, until now) and we've clocked almost a quarter-MILLION miles (231K as of last week) on the 2005 though mid-western summers/winters (over 100F/under 0F) without any "battery issues".

YMMV.

Owned 10 Toyotas, all white or silver.
Current stable:
2002 silver Tundra ('cuz you need yourself a truck.)
2005 silver Prius (200,000+ miles. Hers.)
2018 silver RAV4 Hybrid Limited ('nuf said.)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thandal View Post
As others have noted, there's not enough of a track record for any definitive statements about the RAV4 Hybrid's longevity (although we're now into its fourth year, so some are getting pretty far along.)

That said, our family has been a two-hybrid one (both Prius, until now) and we've clocked almost a quarter-MILLION miles (231K as of last week) on the 2005 though mid-western summers/winters (over 100F/under 0F) without any "battery issues".

YMMV.

Have you noticed battery capacity degradation on 2005 Prius? To what degree if any?

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I have a 2005 Prius too. I have noticed some battery degradation starting at around 250K miles. MPG is down about 4%. From 50/47
summer/ winter , I am down to 48/43 MPG. But now at 355K I still am using the original battery.

There is some evidence of internal discharge of the battery as well. One limitation I have set for myself using Prius is I would not park it at airport for a trip longer than a overnight trip.

Dr Prius app shows 2 of the cell banks #1 and #1 4 get minimally charged/discharged. I assume they would soon need to be replaced. I still do not have any battery related faults.

I have purchased 2018 R4H. One difference I see in R4H is that it shows EV light on lot more often as compared to Prius. 2005 prius does not have EV lamp. But I consider engine off as equivalent of EV lamp.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthindi View Post
I have a 2005 Prius too. I have noticed some battery degradation starting at around 250K miles. MPG is down about 4%. From 50/47
summer/ winter , I am down to 48/43 MPG. But now at 355K I still am using the original battery.

There is some evidence of internal discharge of the battery as well. One limitation I have set for myself using Prius is I would not park it at airport for a trip longer than a overnight trip.

Dr Prius app shows 2 of the cell banks #1 and #1 4 get minimally charged/discharged. I assume they would soon need to be replaced. I still do not have any battery related faults.

I have purchased 2018 R4H. One difference I see in R4H is that it shows EV light on lot more often as compared to Prius. 2005 prius does not have EV lamp. But I consider engine off as equivalent of EV lamp.

Those are impressive numbers and on par what ICE car would deliver under normal maintenance, except MPG of course. NiMh cells are prone to self discharge so that is somewhat expected. It sounds like you've been driving it about 70 miles each and every day including holidays/weekends. Since that is unlikely you must be commuting closer to 100 miles daily so those miles are mostly hwy I presume.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:22 PM

I think I found the stats I was after:

https://priuschat.com/threads/batter.../#post-2267437

It's from 2013 and it shows for year 11 and 12 the percent of battery failures starts to climb to the total of 9% over those 2 years. Averaging over entire fleet of all years at the end of the table doesn't make much sense IMO: the fact 2 numbers can be divided doesn't mean the ratio would be meaningful. It would be interesting to see the updated version of that table- how steeply the curve goes up at the tail of the table.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by max5gen View Post
I think I found the stats I was after:

https://priuschat.com/threads/batter.../#post-2267437

It's from 2013 and it shows for year 11 and 12 the percent of battery failures starts to climb to the total of 9% over those 2 years. Averaging over entire fleet of all years at the end of the table doesn't make much sense IMO: the fact 2 numbers can be divided doesn't mean the ratio would be meaningful. It would be interesting to see the updated version of that table- how steeply the curve goes up at the tail of the table.
Those numbers have no relevance today, as they are from Gen-1 and Gen-2 Prius systems. The Gen-3 and Gen-4 systems used in the Rav4 have updated battery technology, (larger battery too), as well as improved management software, inverters, etc. All of which contributes to extended battery life.

Its very likely that the wheels will come off a Rav4 before the traction battery ever needs service. Caveat being extreme usage conditions or abuse, tampering, etc.

2016 Hybrid Limited with ATP.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Those numbers have no relevance today, as they are from Gen-1 and Gen-2 Prius systems. The Gen-3 and Gen-4 systems used in the Rav4 have updated battery technology, (larger battery too), as well as improved management software, inverters, etc. All of which contributes to extended battery life.

Its very likely that the wheels will come off a Rav4 before the traction battery ever needs service. Caveat being extreme usage conditions or abuse, tampering, etc.

The obvious question then- where is the updated stats for those gens? It's been 6 years since those data were published. I think you're making great leap of faith here- battery technology is actually the same, the same NiMh cells with the same life expectancy. That table is already quite impressive (from battery longevity point of view, not from long term car maintenance) and I don't think they could increase it 50% more, that would require some fundamental design change of the cells themselves. Until someone posts similar stats proving otherwise I'll still consider traction battery 10 year/150k miles part with sharp increase in failure rate after that.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page