Travel Trailers and RAV4s - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew19942001 View Post
I have a jayco 18í travel trailer- 2670 lb dry weight. I tow it with 2017 RAV4 LE. Added a trans cooler, the Firestone airbags, Reese Weight Distribution hutch with sway bars and the Prodigy wireless brake controller. I run about 40 psi in the airbags, and the car handles it well. You wonít win any drag races but itís not bad. Run with the sport mode selected and in S4 so it stays out of overdrive- try to keep the rpms above 3k and the speed 60-65 max. If the adventure can tow 3500 so can the rest of us. Toyota showed their hand when they rolled that out. They have the same unibody and transmission we do - just an added cooler and heavier springs, and of course the black stripe and special wheels-lol. I would like to find a means of monitoring the trans fluid temperature tho

Loaded you're towing 2x the listed towing capacity. Hope you never get in a wreck because the police and lawyers aren't going to care the capacity of a different model. Be careful.

2014 XLE fwd, shoreline blue
The Following User Says Thank You to Azjeff For This Useful Post:
Techsus (03-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Azjeff is correct RE: liability incurred when exceeding vehicle towing load limits set by manufacturers. It's the first thing they check after an incident involving towed vehicles ("toads").

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is largely a misnomer- at least here in the Deep South. Most people don’t even have working trailer lights- that will get you pulled- but beyond that, they aren’t keeping a running list of every vehicle make and model and listed towing capacity. I’m insured the rav4 is insured and the camper is insured - in fact the insurance company asked if I was going to be towing the camper with my Honda Insight or Toyota RAV4- they never batted an eye at any of this. Of course I always try to be extra careful when towing; slow down, leave plenty of room etc. I appreciate your concern and position and it may be more prevalent in different parts of the country, but here in the southeast; people tow whatever with whatever-

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OBD scanner - transmission fluid temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew19942001 View Post
Got a veepeak obd ble scanner device from amazon- it works with an iPhone app called obdfusion- I am able to read coolant temp, trans fluid temp, and engine oil temp no problem- total investment $50
Are you still happy with your Veepeak? I'm wanting to try it. I have a 2018 Adventure, towing a 2700 Jay Flight - pretty close to my max when loaded, so really want to keep an eye on the trans temp. Did you need to input extra pid codes? Did you pay the extra $10 for the Toyota add-on package?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yep still happy with the Bluetooth scanner, and I did pay the extra $10 for the Toyota codes- it was pretty useless without them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page