2013 RAV4 battery.............24F? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVila View Post
Maybe on a hot summer day in standstill traffic. It is certainly much cooler when the car is moving, which is most of the time.

Like for a few times cars spend at traffic lights and then get moving again and blow out the hot air from under the hood?
point remains.. that insulation will not do much to keep the battery from attaining ambient temp. Whether it is 95F, 140F for 5 minutes, then 95F.....what do you think the R value is on that, 20?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monantony View Post
So the battery failed today at -2F
It made it to 4 years to the day after purchase.
My research indicated it is a 24F.... what gives?
https://www.rav4world.com/pdf/Toyota_Batteries2011.pdf
2006- all models, 24F

But that is wrong, my battery is a group 35... I'd like to pop a 24F in it but the tray is small.
Is a bigger tray available? Don't ask why or judge. I would rather have the bigger battery. I upgraded my Accord using factory parts and I love the extra capacity and amps...

Thanks
Small group 24 batteries, range from =/- 500 cold cranking amps.
- that's why many owners change them, after 4 years

In Toyota (wife has a RAV4 and I have a 4Runner / both v6 Gen3) - when batteries died, I replaced them with AGM Group 35.
- Cold cranking Amps was 775
- battery was longer and required a 1" cedar board underneath, to get the proper height to the cables

My brother has a Honda CR-V - he did the same / went from group 24 to 35...common upgrade, on these forums.
- the larger battery, will likely last 50% longer (or more)
- freezing cold winter startup, will identify a battery going weak (usually)
- always helps, to put a charger on it and de-sulfate used battery, when they start to get old
- try and restore the 100% / 80% will still be OK, on a larger battery / 70% is problematic

Group #35 is the only way go / 24 is an inferior battery size, for any auto.
- in 3 to 4 years, a used group 35 probably still has move capacity, than a brand new group 24
- and that's the irony here / I would never buy a group 24, unless it was going into a John Deere garden tractor (LOL) with limited battery space.

I got +9 years twice, out of AGM batteries (ones USA made) / if I want a cheap battery, head to Walmart or Costco. Best place to buy AGM in Canada, is Canadian Tire, 5 year full warranty.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont67 View Post
Small group 24 batteries, range from =/- 500 cold cranking amps.
- that's why many owners change them, after 4 years

In Toyota (wife has a RAV4 and I have a 4Runner / both v6 Gen3) - when batteries died, I replaced them with AGM Group 35.
- Cold cranking Amps was 775
- battery was longer and required a 1" cedar board underneath, to get the proper height to the cables

My brother has a Honda CR-V - he did the same / went from group 24 to 35...common upgrade, on these forums.
- the larger battery, will likely last 50% longer (or more)
- freezing cold winter startup, will identify a battery going weak (usually)
- always helps, to put a charger on it and de-sulfate used battery, when they start to get old
- try and restore the 100% / 80% will still be OK, on a larger battery / 70% is problematic

Group #35 is the only way go / 24 is an inferior battery size, for any auto.
- in 3 to 4 years, a used group 35 probably still has move capacity, than a brand new group 24
- and that's the irony here / I would never buy a group 24, unless it was going into a John Deere garden tractor (LOL) with limited battery space.

I got +9 years twice, out of AGM batteries (ones USA made) / if I want a cheap battery, head to Walmart or Costco. Best place to buy AGM in Canada, is Canadian Tire, 5 year full warranty.
Isn't group 24 slightly larger than group 35 hence the issues of it not fitting?

According to AAP below, capacity and CCA are both larger on the group 24 which seems like an upgrade?

24 - https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...4f-6/2130001-P

35 - https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...35-2/2130004-P

24AGM - https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/844459/00966

35AGM - https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...966?quantity=1

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Beaumont67 and Yellowfellow --- Very interesting.

Back in the day-- I bought a new 1982 Chevy Cavalier stationwagon, first year produced. STOP LAUGHING!!!

Anyway, on very cold Oklahoma Christmas day, ready to go to the in-laws, the battery would just not crank enough to start it. Jumped it from my mom's vehicle, got it started, but then had the battery checked the next day. Battery was good, but they explained to me that the small 4 cyl needed more battery power than required for a 6 or 8 cyl. Bought the largest CCA battery that would fit (and it was a tight fit) and replaced the factory battery size.

Now, do smaller motors require more CCA's? Don't know, but have always taken it as true because never had starting problems with the Cavalier again.

Having said that, as Yellowfellow pointed out, the CCA's for the size 24 are greater than the size 35.

But.......?

When I bought the 24 for the Avalon (still feel factory battery should have lasted more than 33 - 34 months) I glanced at the CCA's and bought it. Got it from Walmart, never had a problem with their batteries and they are located darn near everywhere.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Even if the 4-cyl and 6-cyl engines have the same internal displacement and the other specs. are equal (not at all so with RAV 4 engines) the 6-cyl will require more battery cranking power because it has more internal parts and somewhat more internal friction.

The greatest battery killer is heat. Some battery makers have different versions for hot and cool climates. The hot climate version has fewer plates and so more room for electrolyte and runs cooler internally, and the CCAs are not as important as in cold weather areas. Of course the other heat factor is the running engine, which can be mitigated somewhat by ambient air which enters the engine compartment, especially when the vehicle is moving.

My '11 V6 RAV still has the 24F OEM Johnson Controls battery and it spins the engine over quite well. The OEM sticker on it says 565 CCAs, but in my tests that is declining and it will need to be replaced soon. Probably will use an equivalent private labeled battery from Exide with a 3-year replacement warranty, about $65 when on sale here.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Walmart has a 24F 750 CCA for just under $100 and a 3 year over the counter exchange. The remaining 2 years are prorated.

Hats off to Dr. Dyno for turning me on to this one. That's where I'll go for battery #5 .

2008 Base V-6 (Hers)
2008 Limited V-6 (His)
Tow Prep & front wheel drive (both)

Last edited by RTexasF; 04-01-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page