OEM Denso DDLT002 HID XENON BALLAST - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OEM Denso DDLT002 HID XENON BALLAST

Can anyone tell me if I can use these ballasts on my rav4'17 xle to replace the stock halogen headlights to hid xenon 9012? I've read tnat it's better to use hid to a projector housing headligthan an led. I can replace the pigtail for the hid bulb and also the pig tail for the power. My concern is will the ECU accept these and not trigger a light on the dash. The Toyota part is 85967-50020 35watt. This ballast is being used in some models of lexus and sienna. It is expensive that's why I need some feedback from those here in the forum who have electrical background about this mod.
Any advise appreciated.
Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
If you want hid you should look into a Morimoto hid kit. You can get the ballasts, bulbs and a relay harness for $150. Right now I think they sty doing a 10% off sale. I get them at theretrofitsource.com and highly recommend them. Great product with great customer service. Also you should get 9006 bulbs not 9012. The ground wire in the 9012 bulb cause a shadow that the 9006 ground wire doesn't. Also make sure you use a relay harness. Some people report no problems without one and some people do have problems without one. I have never heard of anyone including myself having problems using a relay harness. You can use the factory Toyota ballasts if you want, but you will need connectors to power the ballasts. You will also need adapters to convert the d2s ballast to the amp connection on the bulbs. I took denso ballast out of a Prius and installed them into a Kia using the adapters so I know it works fine. I only did that because I had all the spare parts laying around. Any more questions just shout.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
When you said "The ground wire in the 9012 bulb cause a shadow that the 9006 ground wire doesn't", are you referring to the beam pattern? BTW, I have the pigtail conversion for the stock sockets.

I noticed that 9006 bulb has a different locking tabs to the housing compared to 9012 bulb. So I have to use a dremel on the 9006 to fit the housing? This is what i'm thinking if feasible. Buy the oem d2s hid bulb. Then break an old 9012 using a dremel to cut the round locking tabs. After that use micro screws/heat resistant glue to attach it to the d2s hid bulb to fit the stock projector housing. It's a lot of work and I'm not sure if doable.

On the morimoto wire harness, is that the one with relays that connects to the battery to power hid headlights?
The reason I like the OEM Denso ballast is because you don't have to wait for it to warm up for the hid to turn full blast like what I see online.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroad View Post
When you said "The ground wire in the 9012 bulb cause a shadow that the 9006 ground wire doesn't", are you referring to the beam pattern? BTW, I have the pigtail conversion for the stock sockets.

I noticed that 9006 bulb has a different locking tabs to the housing compared to 9012 bulb. So I have to use a dremel on the 9006 to fit the housing? This is what i'm thinking if feasible. Buy the oem d2s hid bulb. Then break an old 9012 using a dremel to cut the round locking tabs. After that use micro screws/heat resistant glue to attach it to the d2s hid bulb to fit the stock projector housing. It's a lot of work and I'm not sure if doable.

On the morimoto wire harness, is that the one with relays that connects to the battery to power hid headlights?
The reason I like the OEM Denso ballast is because you don't have to wait for it to warm up for the hid to turn full blast like what I see online.
I wouldn't say it's a beam pattern thing. When the 9012 bulb is locked in place in the projector the ground or return wire sits in a different spot than the 9006 bulb. Because of this the ground wire on the 9012 causes a shadow on the ground that the 9006 didn't or at least not as bad. The 9006 bulb will easily fit the 9012 socket. You have to trim a 9012 bulb tab to fit a 9006 socket. As far as your bulb modification goes that's a bad idea. It won't work and it's way too much hassle. As far as the ballast goes my Morimoto goes to full brightness in seconds...maybe 5 to 10. I have some 9012 and 9006 bulbs at home. I can take some pics showing light output between the 2 bulbs.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Here is a link to the retrofit I did. There is a pic or 2 of how the stock projector looks. You will see why I did a full retrofit LOL.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/125...fit.html?amp=1
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
HIR retrofit

Your conversion turn out really nice special with that beam pattern. Unfortunately I don't have the nerve to disassemble the stock Headlight of my '17 xle rav4 even though I have the necessary tools on hand.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroad View Post
Your conversion turn out really nice special with that beam pattern. Unfortunately I don't have the nerve to disassemble the stock Headlight of my '17 xle rav4 even though I have the necessary tools on hand.
Those are for sale LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page