Question on device attached to key chain with used 2018 AWD XLE - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question on device attached to key chain with used 2018 AWD XLE

I had to take my "new to her" daughter's 2018 RAV4 XLE AWD into the dealer to have them correct a leaking oil filter. When we brought the car in, the key chain had a little gizmo on it (see attachment) that I had not yet taking the time to identify. After we returned home from the dealer I noticed that the gizmo was no longer on the key chain and was presumably removed at the dealer. I have emailed the dealer for an explanation but am now really wondering what the heck it is. Can anyone identify it?

Thanks,

Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sonja Key.jpg (55.5 KB, 29 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi:

From your picture the device looks similar to a "Dallas" memory FOB https://www.ibutton.cc/products/ibut...serial-number/

If that's what it was - could possibly be an inventory tagging device - can store more info than the old paper tags that would be attached - easily read when vehicle is sold, etc.

At one time these devices were being marketed for computer access security - hold log in credentials in the memory - then validate with a PIN...

Just a guess based on the photo....

Doug
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaSask View Post
Hi:

From your picture the device looks similar to a "Dallas" memory FOB https://www.ibutton.cc/products/ibut...serial-number/

If that's what it was - could possibly be an inventory tagging device - can store more info than the old paper tags that would be attached - easily read when vehicle is sold, etc.

I am sure that is it - thanks. Was hoping it was something of value that I could use to negotiate for a second key fob, as the car only came with one even though it is not even a year old. I guess rental car companies don't bother to send both keys along and a new factory one is setting me back over $200, even with my buddies discount at the Lexus dealer. I definitely missed that bit during negotiations.

Cheers,

Rod

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That fob looks exactly the same as a telematics device I had on my old work van. There was a little silver module on the dash that the key fob matched up with. When you started the van at the beginning of the day you had to hold the fob against the dash button or it would beep obnoxiously loud until you did. The device tracked gps location, speed, how long the van was running/idling & probably other things. But unless your used Rav was some company-owned car prior, cant imagine it had the same device (the company that made the devices is no longer in business)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdublin View Post
I am sure that is it - thanks. Was hoping it was something of value that I could use to negotiate for a second key fob, as the car only came with one even though it is not even a year old. I guess rental car companies don't bother to send both keys along and a new factory one is setting me back over $200, even with my buddies discount at the Lexus dealer. I definitely missed that bit during negotiations.

Cheers,

Rod

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-...-info-how.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page