looking for some general info - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
looking for some general info

hello, new member here. I already posted in the new members subforum so i'll get right down to it.

recently bought a 2015 rav4 LE AWD. I do all the maintenance myself and have been doing so for about 12 years now. could use some help getting in the right direction:

1. I noticed the USB playback on the infotainment system is fairly craptastic. can't seem to handle a file system very well. when turning on the car, it defaults to the last folder played and ignores the rest. are there any updates for this thing that *might* help? where would I download these updates?

2. service manual...hopefully not the Haynes/chiltons crap. I know in the past Toyota didn't give them out for free, but they used to look the other way when someone put the entire thing on the internet for free.

3. I find the maintenance section of the owner's manual to be vague at best. it states to lubricate the AWD components at intervals...what exactly are they specifying here? does the driveshaft have grease nipples?

4. anything I should be aware of with these cars? common issues to look for?

thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_gravity View Post

1. I noticed the USB playback on the infotainment system is fairly craptastic. can't seem to handle a file system very well. when turning on the car, it defaults to the last folder played and ignores the rest. are there any updates for this thing that *might* help? where would I download these updates?

2. service manual...hopefully not the Haynes/chiltons crap. I know in the past Toyota didn't give them out for free, but they used to look the other way when someone put the entire thing on the internet for free.

3. I find the maintenance section of the owner's manual to be vague at best. it states to lubricate the AWD components at intervals...what exactly are they specifying here? does the driveshaft have grease nipples?

4. anything I should be aware of with these cars? common issues to look for?

thanks guys.
1. I never use the USB to play files. I know there are updates to certain head units because of problems, but the only place I know to get the updates is from the dealer. We have a USB that has the update on it and we plug it in and update the unit.

2. I don't know of any free service manuals. You can get info from All Data, Mitchell, Identifix or Toyota for a fee and it's usually time limited use.

3. Unless the driveshaft had U-Joints replaced with ones you can grease, they can't be serviced. They are probably talking about changing the gear box fluids. And the dealer I work for recommends the fluids be changed every 30k miles.

4. Torque converter shudder is a common major issue with the 2013-2015 Rav's. There is a TSB and an extended warranty on them.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
That's some help at least, thank you. <br />
<br />
I ended up paying for a 2 day pass at Toyota tech info. Making pdf's lik mad. I'll be sure to get a copy of the TSB

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
regarding the usb playback, ..see the posts in this thread , and see for yourself what might help you.
mine is post 11 i think,..and that suggestion is to create "folders" using windows explorer..

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/124...h-drive-2.html
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think the wife is already doing something like that. I was just wondering if there was a way to get the USB music mode to use a file system properly. Seems that no car manufacturer can get a deck that has a good interface and utilises the file system properly. But I get it, not like mp3 players have been out that long. Only since the 90s.

Seriously though I'll have to figure out what the wife is doing there exactly. The rav is her car. I don't even like it that much to be honest.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
I set my USB to play random tracks. I have about 3k song tracks. I have them divided into folders with no more than 250 tracks per folder. It shuffles perfectly for me. I noticed that if a folder has too many songs it doesn't work right.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:07 PM
reb

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav4system3 View Post
I set my USB to play random tracks. I have about 3k song tracks. I have them divided into folders with no more than 250 tracks per folder. It shuffles perfectly for me. I noticed that if a folder has too many songs it doesn't work right.

What kind of problems do you see? SWMBO's memory stick has something over 300 on it and I am contemplating adding more.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb View Post
What kind of problems do you see? SWMBO's memory stick has something over 300 on it and I am contemplating adding more.
I think the radio would not recognize more than 999 tracks on the USB. I found that splitting up into many folders worked the best. I did my research online and found that 250 or less tracks per folder was perfect.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:56 PM
reb

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav4system3 View Post
I think the radio would not recognize more than 999 tracks on the USB. I found that splitting up into many folders worked the best. I did my research online and found that 250 or less tracks per folder was perfect.
Thanx. Think I will add some folders to her memory stick. We just got back from a road trip and it seems that the random setting did not work as well as it should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page