Very strange, when turning... - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Very strange, when turning...

OK, this is going to sound very strange, but here we go... I'll be driving, going around a bend, jug-handle, something of the like...I'll take the turn/bend, and all of a sudden...the interior/dome lights go on (as if I opened the door), and the door-beeps go off (as if I opened the door). It's happened on a straight-away, but most times, around a bend/turn.

It happens for a couple of second at the most...but it's very strange...as if I opened the door and immediately closed it. I've checked the door, at least to the extent I can, and all seems to be sound, stable, etc. The doors close and function properly.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
What year car? On my 16 there is a graphic that shows which door is open. Figure out which door is the culprit. Once you do that you can adjust the door striker. This is what determines how far the door closes. It's possible your striker is loose and allowing the door to trip the open indicator. Could also be a wiring issue, but it will still tell you what door is the problem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav4system3 View Post
What year car? On my 16 there is a graphic that shows which door is open. Figure out which door is the culprit. Once you do that you can adjust the door striker. This is what determines how far the door closes. It's possible your striker is loose and allowing the door to trip the open indicator. Could also be a wiring issue, but it will still tell you what door is the problem.
I've got a 2013 AWD Limited...it was the top of the line when I got it.

So, I don't have that graphic. I just get the repeating beep when a door is open. I guess I could check the striker. It happens once every few weeks. I hope it's that an not a wiring issue (as wiring sounds a lot more complicated...and expensive! LOL).

I'm lucky I can start the car, so I'll have to ask the mechanic. I'm bringing it in this week for an oil change.

Thank you for the insight.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
You could start the car and from the inside try pushing each door open. If a striker is loose that door will move enough to trigger the alert.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rav4system3 For This Useful Post:
BoomerNJ (04-28-2019)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Does it happen turning left and right? Itís possible that itís on the outside of the turn (turning left would be right side). Might be a way to start investigating.

Current Fleet (of 2)
2012 RAV4 2.5 2WD Base
2017 Golf TSi Auto

Easy now, it's actually our 3rd Toyota!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Same thing happened on my 2006 Acura TL. The door striker slipped a bit so that the door was not 100% closed. When I rounded a curve, the door was forced outward and the lights and warning came on. I previously noticed that the door was not flush with the other body panels - another clue that the striker slipped a bit. I moved the striker back and tightened it up and it never happened again. BTW - when I pointed out the misaligned door to the dealer during a routine service visit, the service manager told me that the doors were aligned at the factory and there was nothing they could do!
Five mintes with a screwdriver would have fixed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom_B For This Useful Post:
dehill (05-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page