Oil Analysis - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Question Oil Analysis

Posting in General, please move to mechanical if needed.

I will be sending off my engine oil to Blackstone Labs in about a month or so when I do our next oil change. It will be 1yr and ~10k miles since the last change, which was the first change while we have owned the vehicle. Please don't criticize me for that, it was not my ideal circumstance to do the first test after we put 10k miles on the engine and oil... life gets in the way some times ;-)

I'll post all my results here, I have no real concerns that a modern engine in good condition can easily do 10k miles on synthetic oil. I'm simply looking to find out if our engine is good or was it abused before we bought it.

I have two questions.

First, has anyone done oil analysis of the transaxle/transmission fluid on their RAV4? If so, can you share the details (age, mileage, etc... at test) and the results?

Second, has anyone collected engine oil analysis done by the forums users? I'd love to review what others have found in their oil at various points along the life of the car.

Cheers

2015 RAV4 LE AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
My OCD is getting the better of me... I am building a spreadsheet with the various RAV4 Oil Analysis results I can find... Please share with me your results if you are willing (PM for e-mail if that is preferred)...

2015 RAV4 LE AWD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Here are a few for you. I discovered the motor and oil do just fine with 10,000 mile oil change intervals.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/126...oyota-oil.html

Same goes for Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy oil.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/126...-analysis.html

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'll be honest, that 10,000 mile oil change interval scares the crap out of me. I know that Genuine Toyota Synthetic motor oil is very good stuff. However, my stealership only uses Mobil 1. I contacted mobil 1 and they do not recommend going 10K miles between oil changes on their oil. Obviously oil capacity does matter as German cars such as my MB ML500 states to go 10K-12K miles between changes however it has 10 quarts of oil. Our Rav4's only have 5 quarts or less. That means the oil is prone to be circulated and used twice as much.

When I took my car in at 5,000 miles expecting a free oil change I was very upset to find out that they wouldn't change the oil under the ToyoCare free maintenance and I wasn't going to pay the stealership price of $74.99 because they use synthetic. Walmart sells mobil 1 for $25 for 5 quarts.

I'm trying to find out what Toyota's official recommendations are. They may recommend 10K mile interval on their Genuine Toyota oil, however these stealerships out here are cheaping out and buying bulk drums of Mobil1 and using that. I think that's a shame and a disservice to Toyota.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek4484 View Post
I'll be honest, that 10,000 mile oil change interval scares the crap out of me. I know that Genuine Toyota Synthetic motor oil is very good stuff. However, my stealership only uses Mobil 1. I contacted mobil 1 and they do not recommend going 10K miles between oil changes on their oil. Obviously oil capacity does matter as German cars such as my MB ML500 states to go 10K-12K miles between changes however it has 10 quarts of oil. Our Rav4's only have 5 quarts or less. That means the oil is prone to be circulated and used twice as much.

When I took my car in at 5,000 miles expecting a free oil change I was very upset to find out that they wouldn't change the oil under the ToyoCare free maintenance and I wasn't going to pay the stealership price of $74.99 because they use synthetic. Walmart sells mobil 1 for $25 for 5 quarts.

I'm trying to find out what Toyota's official recommendations are. They may recommend 10K mile interval on their Genuine Toyota oil, however these stealerships out here are cheaping out and buying bulk drums of Mobil1 and using that. I think that's a shame and a disservice to Toyota.
So you think TOYOTA wants you to damage their engine by changing the oil at 10, 000 miles?

You don't think they tested it to make sure it's ok?

If the oil could only go 5,000 miles why wouldn't they just say it? Tell me what is the benifit to Toyota as they don't pay for the oil changes.

Do you also change all other fluids at half the recomended intervals . If they wrong with the oil how can you trust them on the other fluids?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Quote:
I contacted mobil 1 and they do not recommend going 10K miles between oil changes on their oil.
Which Mobil 1 exactly? They make 16 versions and also make Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. Mobil 1 Extended Performance is approved for a 15,000 mile change interval so 10K would be a snap.
Mobil 1 Annual Protection is guaranteed for 20,000 miles. You need to do some research, whoever you "spoke with" has no clue..

Using your year model and engine here are their recommended oils. Three of which will exceed a 10,000 mile oil change interval.

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-sele...ItRkUpIChHQVMp

2008 Base V-6 (Hers)
2008 Limited V-6 (His)
Tow Prep & front wheel drive (both)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement