Meep, meep . . . Whaaaaa? - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
I did not use the included relay, it is unnecessary since the RAV4 already has one. The relay is included for vehicles (like a '75 Pinto) that don't have a horn relay.
Thanks, that will save some people some unnecessary wiring! Sounds like it is as easy as Vanib described.. will probably order them myself when I can find something else to order at the same time so I get the free shipping.
May even order two.. a set for our Honda Fit as well. (Everyone, please don't attack me! )

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
The Following User Says Thank You to doane2u For This Useful Post:
varkbait (09-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
I did not use the included relay, it is unnecessary since the RAV4 already has one. The relay is included for vehicles (like a '75 Pinto) that don't have a horn relay.
Since this thread is in the 4.4 forum are you sure this is true on the 2013?
There are plenty of new vehicles without a relay in the horn circuit.

-Brian

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD - Barcelona Red
2011 Hyundai Tucson GLS AWD - Silver
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive

post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Correction, there are two beep-beep horns.

Correction! There are two beep-beep horns on the 2013 RAV4. The first one is high up on the driver side, the second one (which I initially missed) is on the passenger side, much lower, roughly behind the chrome Toyota logo.

I was able to swap them out with OEM horns off a Toyota 2004 Tacoma at the local junkyard ($5 each). The part numbers off the horns are Toyota Denso 86520-04010 L (Low Pitch) and Toyota Denso 86510-04010 H (High Pitch).

To get access to the top and part of the bottom, and it was very tight, I popped the plastic press mounts (4) on the black plastic air dam at the top of the radiator. I removed the front bolt that holds the battery strap so I could move the air dam around.

To get access to the lower horn, I removed the six connectors that held the flexible upper grille. They are in this order, left (passenger) to right (driver), 1) nut, 2) phillips grommet, 3) popup grommet, 4) popup press mount, 5) phillips grommet and 6) nut. Although it didn't give better access, I did popout the Toyota logo from behind so I could see when removing the old horn and adding the new one. I'd recommend you wear a long sleeve shirt because the grille can scratch and cut skin while you reach in from above.

Because the mount arms are on opposite sides, it made more sense to mount the low horn on the passenger side (low horn at low height) and the high tone horn up high on the driver side. That puts the wiring jack in the best possible position for connection to the existing wiring. The wiring was an exact match for the old horns, so no wire splicing, no cutting, etc. Just plug and play. I'd recommend connecting the wire and then bolting the horn on.

The only imperfection was because the plastic air dam was too close to the top horn, I had to nick it so it wasn't pushing up against the horn. I might end up removing a small portion later, but two nicks and it bends out of the way. I also left off the popup press mount behind the logo, as the air dam is still too tight to reach until I take off that small portion.

After having a one ton diesel truck nearly sideswipe me in my lane and him not hear me honking meep-meep for dear life, I now have horns that match the rest of the car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bflores For This Useful Post:
Treeguy (12-30-2018), varkbait (09-07-2014)

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
To get access to the lower horn, I removed the six connectors that held the flexible upper grille. They are in this order, left (passenger) to right (driver), 1) nut, 2) phillips grommet, 3) popup grommet, 4) popup press mount, 5) phillips grommet and 6) nut. Although it didn't give better access, I did popout the Toyota logo from behind so I could see when removing the old horn and adding the new one. I'd recommend you wear a long sleeve shirt because the grille can scratch and cut skin while you reach in from above.
Hey guys - just finished the horn replacement in my 4.4 and I'd HIGHLY recommend it. It was the best $19 I spent from Amazon. I went with the El Grande and it's very "normal" sounding. What I mean by "normal" is that it's the type of horn you'd expect from a $30K car, not the wimpy one we got. I was worried it was going to be too much or too obnoxious, but it wasn't. Just right!!!

I'd HIGHLY recommend removing the front bumper for the install (see pics below). While I started to remove the flexible upper grille, it was still a PAIN and I really couldn't get good access. Removing the bumper was VERY EASY and I did the install and reinstall all myself (just showing it's not that complicated).

Install time: 1.5 hours
Cost: $19 from Amazon!!!

Horn: Amazon.com: FIAMM 74100 El Grande - Twin Horns - Red: Automotive

Pics from the install that might be helpful:

NEW HORNS:

NEW HORNS installed:

LOWER HORN replacement (direct replacement, no bar adjustment needed):

NEW Horn replacement for the UPPER horn. I had to use a longer bar and bend it backwards (but careful not to hit the radiator) to allow room for the bumper.

Final close up of the horns - ALL DONE!

2013 RAV4 AWD Limited with Nav, JBL, Blind Spot Monitor, Floor Mats, in Spruce Mica with Latte interior.

Added options: Mud flaps, door moldings, step plates, updated shifter, El Grande horns, preforated leather, and Valentine One (V1) with remote display and mute switch
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to keeva381 For This Useful Post:
Bob K (01-01-2014), JuneBug (01-10-2016), Retired Rav4 Man (12-31-2013), tron (12-31-2013), varkbait (09-07-2014)
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcp1 View Post
I say go for a set of those train horns!
Years ago I had a 1970 Monte Carlo (the hood is longer than a Chevette)

I put a pair of air powered boat horns under the hood with a vacuum driven compressor.

There is no room for them in any of the cars I have owned since then, so they were sold.

Mine : 2009 Avalon XL Magnetic Gray Metallic
Hers : 2010 RAV4 Base 2.5 AWD Pacific Blue Metallic

If I have helped, please hit the thanks button.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Glad that you like it. Did you end up using the relay afterall? I simply replaced the horns on mine.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Marty Friedman" - Dragon's Kiss
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Glad that you like it. Did you end up using the relay afterall? I simply replaced the horns on mine.
I meant to include that detail. NO RELAY NEEDED. The only thing I did was wrap electrical tape around the fittings pretty tightly to make sure the connection stays snug and to keep water out. Other then that, it was a simple plug and play.

2013 RAV4 AWD Limited with Nav, JBL, Blind Spot Monitor, Floor Mats, in Spruce Mica with Latte interior.

Added options: Mud flaps, door moldings, step plates, updated shifter, El Grande horns, preforated leather, and Valentine One (V1) with remote display and mute switch
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Slightly off-topic... I wonder if anyone has a resource to locate a plug that will fit into a Maruko or Denso horn? Is there a name for these sort of plug/jack combinations? I realize you can simple stick a female spade connector in there, but I like to live in the world of nice-looking installs.

My goal is to install my existing Hella Supertones into my new'ish RAV, and I'd like to build a jumper that is plug-and-meep. I also realize that the stock horn is body grounded, so my jumper would be a +12VDC wire only into a plug.

post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
After selling my 1st Gen 2door I've bought a 2013 and I love it . . . Except.
Who thought the high pitched "Meep-Meep" horn was a good idea? About the only thing I would change.

Any advice on wiring in other Toyota units like a 400/500mhz unit from a land cruiser 200?
I don't think even dogs can hear 400/500 MHz.
The Following User Says Thank You to AE1M For This Useful Post:
buerkletucson (01-01-2014)
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just go down to your junkyard with a few wrenches and find an early 70s Chevy. For a couple of bucks you'll get a set of horns that will sound great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page