Meep, meep . . . Whaaaaa? - Page 5 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 General Discuss anything RAV4.4 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
Just ordered the hi and low factory Camry horns from Original Equipment Auto Parts (oeparts) on eBay. $40.65 each with free shipping. Part#'s. 86510-AA010 and 86520-AA010.
Robert,

I just did this mod to my 2016 Rav4 using the same horns and am wondering if the junkyard horns are working correctly. They sound higher pitched and softer than I had expected.

Spectroid shows the low note to be about 435Hz and the high note to be 562Hz. I'll post a sound file so that you can hear the actual result.

So does this sound like the same horns or did mud daubers possibly take up residence in these horns while sitting in the junkyard?
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 2015 Camry Horns.mp3 (205.3 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Thanked 1,082 Times in 898 Posts
Garage
I'd go with the Hella Toyota horns, click the video link on the Amazon page to hear them, they work great on my '19, bolt right on and connect with factory wire connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...qh_dp_hza?th=1

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm still too new to the forums to be able to post pics (not sure of the post count that allows it), but I did make an album under my profile (also assuming it's publicly viewable) to show my solution to the little meep-meep horns the Rav comes with. Probably more work than most are willing to do (fabricate brackets and such) but the results most certainly speak (or HONK) for themselves. I've had these same horns on my '17 Miata since shortly after purchase and can tell you they get the attention of distracted drivers.

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP1968 View Post
I'm still too new to the forums to be able to post pics (not sure of the post count that allows it), but I did make an album under my profile (also assuming it's publicly viewable) to show my solution to the little meep-meep horns the Rav comes with. Probably more work than most are willing to do (fabricate brackets and such) but the results most certainly speak (or HONK) for themselves. I've had these same horns on my '17 Miata since shortly after purchase and can tell you they get the attention of distracted drivers.
Yea, you could probably wake the dead with those!
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sr View Post
Robert,

I just did this mod to my 2016 Rav4 using the same horns and am wondering if the junkyard horns are working correctly. They sound higher pitched and softer than I had expected.

Spectroid shows the low note to be about 435Hz and the high note to be 562Hz. I'll post a sound file so that you can hear the actual result.

So does this sound like the same horns or did mud daubers possibly take up residence in these horns while sitting in the junkyard?
What Are The Odds...

Pulled the bumper loose again and pulled the horns. First inclination was to flush them with water to clean out any mud daubers. Found nothing. For future reference I wouldn't recommend this as these horns are a "Roach Motel" for water. It goes in but does not come out easily. Several days in the hot sun laying on the driveway got most of the remaining water out.

Next step was to attempt to adjust the tuning screws. Bingo! the pitch lowered slightly and the volume increased. BTW, the adjustment screw doesn't really "tune" the horn. The pitch is determined by the mechanical resonance and weights of the moving pieces. All the screw does is to set the optimum diaphragm movement for the most output.

So the previous owner of this junkyard Camry had "tweaked" both horn adjustments to make it sound "different" than all of the other Camry's out there. Go figure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page