SOLVED: 2013 FOG LIGHT WIRING SWITCH - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SOLVED: 2013 FOG LIGHT WIRING SWITCH

1. Lets pretend that we already put the two fog light bulb in their place, already connected the wiring.

2. Lets pretend the we also put the relay on the relay box on the left side, under the hood.
IMG_2531.jpg
3. Now the wiring.
IMG_2528.jpg
On the picture above.
ON RELAY
left yellow wire - connect to the ground
right yellow wire - connect to the yellow on fog light switch
black wire - also connect to the ground ( you can connect the left yellow wire to the black wire and then connect it to the ground.
red - connect to pin 56 of 3B connector
IMG_2530.jpg
pin 56 - white wire, the very bottom right wire
ON FOG LIGHT SWITCH
red wire - connect to the red wire of VSC switch. sorry I dont have a picture of it.
black wire - connect to the ground
yellow wire - connect to the right yellow wire on relay.
Additional Information
connectors.pdf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jester For This Useful Post:
jmailly (11-02-2016), smateos (12-13-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to LockDots Send a message via Skype™ to LockDots
What are you trying to accomplish with both the wiring and this thread?

Seems like a rushed post.

http://i.imgur.com/yyRr5qy.jpg?1
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDots View Post

There are some thread here regarding on how to install fog light but some of them are confused on how to connect their fog light switch wiring on the car, and I am hoping that I can help them to do it... and I am sorry if you didn't understand this thread, I am just trying to help in a little way...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to LockDots Send a message via Skype™ to LockDots
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
There are some thread here regarding on how to install fog light but some of them are confused on how to connect their fog light switch wiring on the car, and I am hoping that I can help them to do it... and I am sorry if you didn't understand this thread, I am just trying to help in a little way...
No need to apologize. Help is always welcome. I was commenting on the fact that the post seemed incomplete. There is information in it that could be helpful but no direction as to what it solves or why. It would be more consise to include the issues you're solving, questions you're answering, or at the very least links to the threads in question.

http://i.imgur.com/yyRr5qy.jpg?1
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
@jester

On the other youtube website where you commented on the video preparred by CzGu, I noticed that you have exactly or almost exactly the same fog light kit that I have. My 2014 Rav4 also has the existing wiring harness in place, and it also had a 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood on the right-hand side, but no relay in the relay box under the hood on the left side. My concerns are, you seem to be using two relays on your setup (one in the relay box under the hood, plus the one that comes with the kit on the harness). Do these two relays seem to play nice together?

Also, the existing fuse in the fuse box under the hood is 7.5A, but my wiring harness kit has a 30A fuse in-line (I believe yours does too). The huge difference in fuse rating seems a little sketchy to me and here is why:

No one seems to have mentioned or taken this into consideration in other posts or threads here and on youtube, but there are two types of fog light bulbs that are typically being shipped with the kits from eBay and Amazon: There is the H11 bulbs which is what I have (and I think you have as well) and I believe these are 55 watts; and then there are kits that come with H16 bulbs which I believe are rated at 18 watts and I believe those bulbs are what a Toyota dealership typically installs with genuine Toyota fog light installation. There is quite a bit of difference in the wattage on these two bulbs, and hence, I believe that is why there is only a 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood because the Toyota OEM bulbs are 18 watts X 2, or 36 watts total. In contrast, the H11 bulbs I believe are 55 watts X 2, or 110 watts total, which is too much for a 7.5 amp fuse at 12 volts.

I am not sure if you have the H11 bulbs in your kit, and you did not mention if you used the in-line 30A fuse that came with your fog light kit that you purchased, but did you replace the 7.5 amp fuse under the hood with something bigger? I would think you need at least a 15-20 amp fuse, but the kit comes with a 30 amp fuse which is pretty big.

There is also another potential issue with the higher wattage bulbs: the wire gauge of the stock wiring harness verses the wire gauge of the harness that comes with the kit. If there is a substantial difference between the two, this could be a problem but only if the existing harness uses smaller gauge wire for the power wire. Some of the wires (red) on the harness that came with my fog light kit from eBay are a little heavier gauge that other wires on the harness. You might recall that CzGu makes mention of this in some of his videos or posts and says to gauge it down so it will fit in certain connector splices (not a good idea in my opinion if you have the H11 bulbs). I have not been able to verify if the kit harness is the same gauge or larger gauge than the existing wiring harness on 2013-2015 RAV4s. Also, I contacted the re-seller on eBay (not the manufacturer of the fog light kit, but the retailer) and they strongly recommended using the kit harness and not the existing harness. This would basically turn a 30-minute job into an all day job if you have to re-wire the RAV4 with a new wiring harness.

Could you please elaborate on the following: (1) do you have the higher wattage H11 bulb types, (2) what did you use for the the fuse under the hood (stock 7.5A or did you replace it with a larger fuse), (3) have you compared the wire gauges of the existing harness verses the harness that came with the kit, (4) did you use the additional 30A in-line fuse that came with the kit, (5) how well do the two relays work together if they are both used in your RAV4 system, and finally, (6) how long have you been successfully using your fog lights and how often do you use them? I wonder if they were ON for long periods of time if the wiring would get hot and melt or short out.

Thank you so much for responding here.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDots View Post

It seems like the intimidation kept the him from coming back....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 04:32 PM

Hi,

Is there a way to connect to low beam instead of high beam.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page