2015 Rav4 rear panel rattle - Passenger side - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Interior Stereos, Amps, Soundproofing, Seats, Gadgets, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Talking 2015 Rav4 rear panel rattle - Passenger side

Hi everyone, thought I would post a recent problem and fix that I have been experiencing in my new 2015 Rav4. I had a horrible rattle coming from the rear passenger side cargo area at speeds from 45 and up. Took the jack out, dynamatted under the spare tire area, even had my daughter hop in the back for a ride to try to pin point the cause. Ended up taking it into the dealer (Titus Will Toyota). Road with the tech and 6 hours later, found out they put an insulation kit in the cargo area including rear air vents. Unfortunately it did nothing but to quiet down the rear road noise alittle. Drove on the highway & still the persistent rattle. So this last Sunday prior to the Seahawks game I took everything out of the cargo area (Jack, Spare tire, Styrofoam, Jack tools) & had my brother drive the rav while I laid down in the cargo area. Turned out to be one of the small metal tie downs on the wheel well. There is a plastic cover that hides the bolt and it warped or was broken. I ended up just ripping it off and the sound is gone. I have to give credit to the dealer for trying but I am almost embarrassed it was something so simple. Silence is golden!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chadronica For This Useful Post:
miamisam (09-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
After an all day adventure to the coast this weekend turns out the rattle was apparently not just the plastic cover, but the entire bolt and tie down bracket. I ended up pulling both bolts and removing the brackets on each wheel well. The rattling is now gone, but I am already sick of this vehicle. No there is another sound coming from the back seat area. Sounds like a metal spring bounces a couple of times every time I hit a bump. Looked under the back seat and there are wires all over loosely attached to the under part of the seats. It is really disheartening to spend almost $30000 after tax and have this crap happen. I could take it into the dealer and let them deal with it but it is a huge inconvenience and then you have to prove it to the dealer.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
I believe those bolts in the wheel well finish outside in the wheel well. I would get the dealer to replace them under warranty.
If the rubber lining is damaged, there will be water, salt, snow, ... getting into your RAV.
I took the bolts out of my 4.3 once and over-screwd them in and the bolts went through the rubber lining in the fender

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Marty Friedman" - Dragon's Kiss

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the comment! When I removed the passenger side one it had some daylighting coming through and and it does penetrate into the wheel well. I will end up taking some silicone or flex seal and spraying it over the bolt to seal it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page