Power liftgate - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Power liftgate

My RAV4 LE does not have power lift gate. Now I found the power lift gate is a must have feature. But I cannot find a after market kits with reasonable price. Is there anyone knows where to buy it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
It might be better to trade cars for one that has it. The factory lift gates are integrated into the key system. It maybe an option to get a lift system from a wrecked car.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 01:10 PM
RBA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I agree with Robert that it is integrated on the keyless fob. My only gripe on this factory lift gate is the left side needs to be replaced (under warranty) since it is making weird grunting (sp?) noises. Other than that I love this feature.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I bought the RAV4 4 months ago. I'm going to keep it for 3 years. Next time I'll still buy RAV4 and will buy Limited. 4 months ago, I had money in hand and went to Buick dealer to buy encore. But in halfway, with unknown reason, somehow I walked into Toyota dealer and bought Rav4 LE. After 4 months driving, I like it. The only mistake was LE. I should buy Limited.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,797 Posts
Garage
You can also get the power liftgate on the XLE now as an option. I also thing the XLE gives you the most value for your money.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Is the gate that heavy? I ask in sincerity.

2008 Base V-6 (Hers)
2008 Limited V-6 (His)
Tow Prep & front wheel drive (both)
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Is the gate that heavy? I ask in sincerity.
On my XLE when you push the button you have a few pound pull to pull it loose from the seals then it opens by itself. A power lift gate would be nice but just one more thing that could go wrong.

TT

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Opening is really not the issue,closing is. It takes two hands to push it down and if you got your hands full it's a real inconvenience. I really notice it now with all this rain, you just can't put stuff on the ground to free your hands to close it.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTTNWA View Post
On my XLE when you push the button you have a few pound pull to pull it loose from the seals then it opens by itself. A power lift gate would be nice but just one more thing that could go wrong.

Sorry -- but reading this thread and had to post. I absolutely love (in this kind of a way ) the "one more thing that could break" line of thinking. Power steering? One more thing to go wrong... ABS? One more thing to go wrong... Radio? Airbags? (OK, well, airbags....fine).

But seriously... you could say any new (or old) feature of a new vehicle is just one more thing to go wrong. That's what a warranty is for. In reality, if your fear is that you plan to keep your RAV4 for 20 years, you really can't forecast the future. To omit a piece of technology that has been around for (has it yet been) a decade because "it may break" is really kinda silly when you think about it. Sure, if Toyota were the innovator of something and this was the experimental, first-run of said technology then some hesitation would be understandable. But to me, that should NOT apply to some of the more tried and true things like the power liftgate... If Toyota had a bad reputation for quality, then maybe the line of thinking would work. But this is Toyota...

Staying on topic: My reply to the OP would be that it's probably better to trade in on one w/that feature if you're adamant about it. It looks like you're not... at least not enough to trade in...

I took the opposite buying approach and OVERPURCHASED on features that I figured we'd maybe want. The only real thing we were after was heated, leather seats.... but we got a Limited w/Navi and JBL, blind spot monitors, cross-traffic alert, power liftgate, smartkey... and my wife loves all of the features. So now I've created a monster. One that is looking at 3-row crossovers 10K more than what the RAV cost... lol
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Power liftgate

The early 2nd gen Highlanders had a big problem with those mechanisms; the hinges weren't strong enough and after prolonged use the rear door would actually become misaligned and wouldn't close/operate correctly. Toyota actually replaced the entire door and mechanism on the vehicles that were brought in under warranty.

Beefed up the hinges on later models and that seemed to cure the problem. Hope it doesn't plague the RAV's with that option.

Careful what you wish for. ;-)

Pancreatic Cancer - the silent killer!
Freedom isn't free, thank you veterans! 9-11-01...NEVER FORGET!

2015 XLE AWD Silver Metallic + Camry horns; fog lite mod; OEM A/W mats / mud guards; AVS vent visors / bug deflector; BUMPSHOX bumper guard; Gentex mirror; console tray; HAM radio; LED's; Shark Fin antenna. [To do: BSM's; hitch.]

'12 - Highlander SE AWD
'09 - RAV 4 Base AWD
'06 - Highlander Base AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page