2015 Toyota RAV4 LE Fog Light Installation Help! - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought the $69.99 Fog Light kit for my Japanese made 2016 RAV4 LE on eBay and installed it last night. I got access to install them by turning the wheels and pulling back the inner fender liners.

There is a plastic deflector piece that must be removed first (3 10mm screws) then remove the one 10mm screw in the fender liner so you can pull it back to install the lights.

There was only one plastic fastener at the top of the triangular blanking plate that needs to be removed. It is a two piece device that looks like a rivet with a large head. Don't try to pry it out. It has a center stem that expands the bottom of the shank. Use a tiny screwdriver to pry the center cap of this fastener up. Once you do this, the fastener can be removed quite easily.

When the fastener is removed, gently flex the locking tabs to release the triangular blanking plate. It can be discarded.

Mount each lamp assembly to its triangular mounting plate, using the two screws provided. The plates are labeled Left and Right.

There was a wiring harness plug anchored to the driver side blanking plate. I don't know what it was for, so I tie wrapped it back to its own harness do it would not bang around.

Pop the new mounting plates with attached lights into place. Each tab should snap into place. Inspect the installation from the front, and if you are satisfied, replace the plastic rivet to lock it in place.

I found the factory fog lamp connectors taped up so they would not rattle around. I undid the tape and connected each fog lamp connector to the lamp terminals.

That completed the mechanical installation, so I buttoned up the fender liners the way I found them.

I opened up the underhood relay box on the passenger side and saw that the 7.5Amp Fog Lamp fuse was there, but the relay was missing. In the Autozone parking lot, I pulled out one of the other blue relays and brought it to the counter and asked for one just like it. $17 later, I replaced the relay I borrowed and plugged in the new relay to the Fog Lamp position.

The only part of the kit wiring harness that I used was the dashboard switch and its connector. I wasn't impressed with the switch. It has two built in LED's and a push on, push off switch contact. The LEDs are wired so they work fine when using the switch with the kit wiring harness. Unfortunately, that won't work if you are using the OEM wiring harness. I simply identified the two pins that go to the switch and just used those two wires.

I used a T-splice to connect the red wire on one side of my switch to the white wire on Pin 36. I connected the green wire on the other side of the switch to ground. The other red wire and the black wire I did not use.

Grounding the white wire from pin 36 will cause the Fog Lamp Relay to close, if the headlights are on. I was disappointed that the dashboard indicator did not come on as I expected. I read elsewhere in the forum that Canadian made RAV4s include the dash LEDs, while the Japanese made cars (like mine) do not. Oh well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you very much !!!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:52 AM

Moonhowl:

Did you connect to the pin 36 or the 3B pin 56? Because I have the canadian version and the dashboard indicator did not come in either, but I connect it to the pin 56 of the block 3B (as the video says).

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
2013 RAV4 LE Canada built. Purchased Toyota OE kit Part #: 00016-42023. Kit came with two fog lamps (equipped with H16 19W OE bulbs), a switch, and all sorts of wiring harnesses including three relays. Sorry for any redundancies, but I wanted to give another walk-thru to see if I can try and capture some of what was missing from other posts.

I started on the driver's side by first removing the four screws from the plastic cover on the underside of the fog light location. A splash guard came off along with this cover. Then I removed two 10mm hex screws and a plastic snap fastener that holds the fog light blank plate in place. There was a green connector for the fog lights already in there, I just had to free it up by removing tape. I used the removed fasteners to install the driver's side fog light (the upper fastener was tough to get in. Once started by hand, a 10mm box wrench did the trick). Plugged in the green connector to the bulb and reinstalled the plastic cover/splash guard. Repeat this procedure for the passenger side.

Installed a fog lamp relay (had to purchase this ... part number 203-0133 or equivalent) in the relay box located under the hood on the passenger side. There is a relay "map" on the backside of the cover. Install it in the empty fog lamp location (upper left as viewed from the front of the car).

On the driver's side, locate the fuse box under the hood and verify the 7.5 amp fog lamp fuse is installed. There is a map of the fuses on the cover. If I recall, the fuse is somewhere in the top left quadrant when viewed from the front of the car.

Now to the inside. Carefully pry off the dash panel containing the buttons for traction control, dimmer for instrument illumination, and mirror controls. The fog light trigger location is pin 36 on connector 3B. See attached for location of 3B connector. Pin 36 on this connector is the one all the way to the bottom right. I had a white wire going to mine. Before hacking into any wiring , I manually grounded this pin using a small piece of wire to verify that the fog lights illuminated (remember to have the parking lights or headlights on, too).

The only part of the wiring I used with the kit I purchased was the switch and its connector with 3 wires (red, black, gray), which I had to cut free from one of the wiring harnesses. T-tap the gray wire to the white wire on pin 36. T-tap the red wire to the red wire on the traction control connector. T-tap the black wire to the brown wire on the traction control connector.

Pop out the switch blank plate in the dash panel located adjacent to the traction control button, snap the new fog light switch in its place, and connect its connector. Spend some time to carefully wire tie the new wires in place to make sure nothing will rub on one another due to road vibration and possibly chafe/short out over time. Then pop the dash panel back in place and you're in business.

Couple things to note. When wired as above, my fog lights work with parking lights, low beams, and high beams. Also, the fog lamp light on the dash board does not illuminate for me when the fog lamps are on. The supplied switch has a LED that illuminates when the fog lights are on, so that helps I guess. Oh, another point to mention. The switch illuminates green, which kind of turns me off a little. Why wouldn't Toyota make it match the rest of the buttons on the dash?

Last step is to align the fog lights per the attached procedure. I chose to do this in a parking garage with dim lighting and a relatively flat surface leading to a wall. I measured 20" from the ground to the center of the fog light, so at 25' I wanted the top of the beam to be at 16". I leaned a piece of plywood against the passenger light to shadow it while I adjusted the driver's side. I put a ruler against the wall with tape at the 16" mark. The plastic cover on the underside of the fog light has two holes in it. The front hole leads to the 10mm hex adjusting screw (I used a 1/4" drive screwdriver with a 6" extension and 10mm shallow socket) on the underside of the fog light. I used the other hole to shine a light into so I can peek into the side of the cover and get the socket onto the adjusting screw. Then turn the screw clockwise to raise the beam and counterclockwise to lower it until the top of the beam is at your tape mark. Repeat for the passenger side.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 53674d1439761483-solved-2013-fog-light-wiring-switch-connectors.pdf (94.8 KB, 181 views)
File Type: pdf align.pdf (68.0 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by jmailly; 11-14-2016 at 03:56 AM.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETPhHm View Post
I liked very much what he did with all his efforts but very unclear on how to modify the "hot" switch to turn it into a "ground" switch. Seems like he is using diodes and such according to his hand written diagram in part 2 of his video.
Any idea where i can get a picture diagram of the Hot Circuit Switch Mod? I grabbed a screen shot from the you tube but it's not clear on how to actually do the mod.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb15rav4 View Post
Toyota part number PT413-42150 functions as follows on my '15 Rav4:

Fog light switch on-->
when headlights are switched on, the fog lights are illuminated
when headlights are switched off, the fog lights are off
when the high beams are on, the fog lights are off

A car will fail the annual state inspection where I live if the fog lights come on with high beams on so I don't have much of a choice
I already purchased a kit from ebay a few weeks ago and have the fogs installed and working now. What I want to do is have the fogs work like factory behavior though. I have the wire into pin 56 as of now, and was trying to research how to get them to turn off when high beams are active. I haven't been successful with it. i did use the existing relay that came with the kit to get the switch working correctly, and I also have another 5 pin relay that i bought because a friend told me to get that and wire it in to have them cut off the fogs when the high beams are on, but I can't find the high beam wire to tap into with the relay. smh.
I was wondering if you can shed some light on the subject for me? I have a 2013 LE model.

Jason Lee
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 01:36 PM

sorry to resurrect a older thread, I have a japan built 2017 hybrid, just need to confirm which wire to t-tape for the fog light switch, in 3B - is it 56 or 36 or does it not matter? I see references to both.
I'm using a ebay kit and the pre-wired oem harness, so I'm just adding the missing blue relay in the empty slot, and the fuse is already there, so it's just a matter of the 3 switch wires,
black - ground t-tape to traction switch brown wire
red -ignition ( hot) t-tape to red wire in traction switch
yellow -this is the key one to turn on the fogs, so 36 or 56??
thx

2017 Toyota Rav4 LE PLUS Hybrid - location: HI
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
2015 Toyota RAV4 LE Fog Light Installation Help!

I installed using the instructions from the Toyotapartsdeal website on a 2017 Japanese built right hand drive. Lights plugged straight into the factory wiring and bought a relay from the local hobby electronics store.

My car already had the grey wire in pin27 of plug G78 [see attachment and jmailly post above for reference]. This is the loom that plugs into the bottom ecu NOT the front like the other large plugs. I just t-tap the pin27 to one side of the switch and chassis grounded the other side. Piggy back the illumination off the switch next to the blank I used.

Grounding pin27 on G78 with parker/headlight on turns on fog lights. Also lights up the dash icon which others above who ground pin 36 on 3B don't get. Fog lights also turn off with the auto headlight switch when the cars locked.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf my16 rav4 fog lights issc.pdf (875.1 KB, 100 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveDizzle For This Useful Post:
silverhwn17 (06-29-2017)
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDizzle View Post
I installed using the instructions from the Toyotapartsdeal website on a 2017 Japanese built right hand drive. Lights plugged straight into the factory wiring and bought a relay from the local hobby electronics store.

My car already had the grey wire in pin27 of plug G78 [see attachment and jmailly post above for reference]. This is the loom that plugs into the bottom ecu NOT the front like the other large plugs. I just t-tap the pin27 to one side of the switch and chassis grounded the other side. Piggy back the illumination off the switch next to the blank I used.

Grounding pin27 on G78 with parker/headlight on turns on fog lights. Also lights up the dash icon which others above who ground pin 36 on 3B don't get. Fog lights also turn off with the auto headlight switch when the cars locked.

Hope this helps.

Do you know if they sell the harness for the fog light switch separately? I looked but I can't find a place that Toyota would sell only the switch for their fog light kits. I have an aftermarket switch and don't have the pin wires that would go to the harness under the dash for pin 27 on my 2013 rav le

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Lee
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDizzle View Post

Hope this helps.
Yes, this helps big time ( I hope). I will give it a try tomorrow, gotta pick up the relay still. thanks so much!

2017 Toyota Rav4 LE PLUS Hybrid - location: HI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page