2015 Toyota RAV4 LE Fog Light Installation Help! - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlee View Post
Do you know if they sell the harness for the fog light switch separately? I looked but I can't find a place that Toyota would sell only the switch for their fog light kits. I have an aftermarket switch and don't have the pin wires that would go to the harness under the dash for pin 27 on my 2013 rav le

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone above found a kit with a pin that inserts into the plug, but I'm not sure if you can get that kit outside the USA.

As far as the switch goes in the 2016+ the factory fog light switch is on the indicator stalk. You can replace the whole stalk but that's a lot more effort. You can find night quality, factory looking switches online. I'll post pics of mine once it arrives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDizzle View Post
Someone above found a kit with a pin that inserts into the plug, but I'm not sure if you can get that kit outside the USA.

As far as the switch goes in the 2016+ the factory fog light switch is on the indicator stalk. You can replace the whole stalk but that's a lot more effort. You can find night quality, factory looking switches online. I'll post pics of mine once it arrives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right. I already had bought a kit from some place other than Toyota so I was wondering if they sold the switch harness separate that has the pin on it to install in the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Lee
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDizzle View Post
I installed using the instructions from the Toyotapartsdeal website on a 2017 Japanese built right hand drive. Lights plugged straight into the factory wiring and bought a relay from the local hobby electronics store.

My car already had the grey wire in pin27 of plug G78 [see attachment and jmailly post above for reference]. This is the loom that plugs into the bottom ecu NOT the front like the other large plugs. I just t-tap the pin27 to one side of the switch and chassis grounded the other side. Piggy back the illumination off the switch next to the blank I used.

Grounding pin27 on G78 with parker/headlight on turns on fog lights. Also lights up the dash icon which others above who ground pin 36 on 3B don't get. Fog lights also turn off with the auto headlight switch when the cars locked.

Hope this helps.
did some digging in there, I can't seem to locate G78 as seen on the diagram. Here's a pic of whats behind the switch panel on the drivers side. Is this the right location, the plugs all look different from G78 and nothing is labeled. Note the white plug just hanging in the back left side on the harness, wonder if that's the oem fog plug?
any suggestions on which plug is G78 so I can tap 27? thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170704_123235 (2).jpg (91.4 KB, 90 views)

2017 Toyota Rav4 LE PLUS Hybrid - location: HI

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhwn17 View Post
did some digging in there, I can't seem to locate G78 as seen on the diagram. Here's a pic of whats behind the switch panel on the drivers side. Is this the right location, the plugs all look different from G78 and nothing is labeled. Note the white plug just hanging in the back left side on the harness, wonder if that's the oem fog plug?
any suggestions on which plug is G78 so I can tap 27? thx
edit - found G78, man that is a tough space to put it way under there. Anyway, I was eventually able to tap the 27 grey wire of G78 to the yellow wire of the kit switch and ran the black switch wire to the chassis ground. Problem - without the key or anything else on or even the red wire connected to the nearby switch for illumination yet, the illumination indicator box area on the switch lit up and I don't think it should unless the car is on or the lights are on or both. Thinking I had the yellow and red switch wires backwards, I switched the tap of 27 from the yellow switch wire to the red switch wire and now the pic (emblem) of the fogs on the switch is illuminated and again I don't think this should be on yet. I should mention pushing the switch on and off does not turn off the illumination.
The switch has 4 wires total -
2 red wires that are eventually join in the loom and become one after a few inches and it was labeled ignition ( meaning hot??) and
1 yellow and
1 black that has a flat spade connector to go behind a ground screw.

What am I doing wrong? Why do I have constant power to the switch that illuminates it? Will tapping the nearby switch with either the red or yellow do something?
I didn't install the blue relay in the box under the hood yet, still waiting for it to arrive, I also did not plug the fogs into the factory harness yet.
So close! I undid the tap to 27 for now and disconnected the switch, don't want to chance draining the battery.

2017 Toyota Rav4 LE PLUS Hybrid - location: HI
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 11:24 AM

Hi,
I have installed the fog lamps on my 2015 RAV4 with no problem. The problem I'm having is inserting the wire harness into the connector. The metal lead will only go so far in and then stops. Any help on solving this without going to a car electrical shop. Thanks.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 10:36 AM

Where did you find it? can you send us a picture? did you ever solved the problem?
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Do the Fog lights turns off automatically just like the headlights or you have to turn them off manually?
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 04:39 PM

Hey Guys,
My First Post here. Got a 2015 RAV4 LE FWD Canadian Made. I already got the fog lights and have figured out quite a bit. But before i dive in to the installation wanted to ensure i'm on the right path.

The Kit details:

Plastic Mount with Plastic Fog Light casings. The assembly/casing has H16 12V written on that, but the kit came with yellow H11 bulbs. Now i know H11's are much hotter than H16's at 55W compared to 30W of the H16's. Would you guys suggest i get H16's to not ruin or damage the plastic casing? Of course the sellers didn't supply an installation guide. . It came with a Dash Switch similar to the TRAC one and a wiring kit which i wouldn't use (since i'm planning to use the existing harness). I have ordered the factory relay that goes in the relay box as well.

This is what i am planning to do (correct me if wrong or for better advises)
  • Take off undercover of Fog Lights and Wheel Well. Not taking off the entire front bumper. Now i have read i can do it without having to take it off. ADVISES please on a DIY
  • Unscrew the black fake fog light covers/plugs.
  • Screw on the new mounts with the assembly on it. Basically the entire light kit (no wiring)
  • Plug the existing harness into the bulbs.
  • Take off the TRAC switch dash cover
  • Use ground switch method i.e. Red from Fog light switch T-Tapped to Red on TRAC switch, Black to body/ground and Gray Wire to 3b pin 36
  • Put Relay in the relay box.
  • Check for Fog fuse in the fuse box.
That should do the magic. Now i am a bit worried about accessing the fog light assemble through the undercover and wheel well. I'll put the car up on Rhino Ramps and go underneath.

Guys please advise if i am missing something or a better way of this DIY!!

Cheers!!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 12:44 PM

Hey Guys,
Got a 2015 RAV4 LE FWD Canadian Made. I already got the fog lights installed on the front bumper. Now need help with the wiring. I am using the existing harness on the car (taped on the inside of the wheel well) and not the provided harness

The Kit details:

Plastic Mount with Plastic Fog Light casings. The assembly/casing has H16 12V written on that, but the kit came with yellow H11 bulbs. Now i know H11's are much hotter than H16's at 55W compared to 30W of the H16's. Would you guys suggest i get H16's to not ruin or damage the plastic casing? Of course the sellers didn't supply an installation guide. . It came with a Dash Switch similar to the TRAC one and a wiring kit which i wouldn't use (since i'm planning to use the existing harness). I have ordered the factory relay that goes in the relay box as well.

This is what i am planning to do (correct me if wrong or for better advises)
  • Take off undercover of Fog Lights and Wheel Well. Not taking off the entire front bumper. Now i have read i can do it without having to take it off. DONE
  • Unscrew the black fake fog light covers/plugs. DONE
  • Screw on the new mounts with the assembly on it. Basically the entire light kit (no wiring) DONE
  • Plug the existing harness into the bulbs. DONE
  • HELP NEEDED from here
  • Take off the TRAC switch dash cover
  • Use ground switch method i.e. Red from Fog light switch T-Tapped to Red on TRAC switch, Black to body/ground or brown wire on TRAC Switch and Gray Wire to 3b pin 36 (IS IT PIN 27 OR 56) . Canadian Made Rav4 so confused. I dont want to tap too many wires
  • Put Relay in the relay box.
  • Check for Fog fuse in the fuse box.
That should do the magic. Now i am a bit worried about blowing unwanted fuses so i'll take off the battery and really want to be sure before tapping into existing wires.

Guys with Canadian Rav4's or knowledge of the same please advise.

Cheers!!
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PT413-42150 Install instructions from Toyota for 2015 Rav4 as requested,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2014-2015 RAV4 FOG LIGHTS.pdf (627.8 KB, 46 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page