2015 Toyota RAV4 LE Fog Light Installation Help! - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2015 Toyota RAV4 LE Fog Light Installation Help!

2015 Toyota RAV4 LE Fog Light Installation.
I am trying to figure out what is the difference between OEM fog lights kits
Part # : 00016-42023 and Part # : PT413-42150
the two kits have a different wiring diagram and both kits will fit 2015 RAV4.
Can anybody tell me what is the difference?
Also a YouTube video with a totally different wiring diagram , all ways seems to work. What is the factory wiring diagram for a 2015 XLE or Limited edition RAV4 that comes with factory fog lights installed?

OEM 2013-2015 RAV4 Fog Lights Factory kits:

Part #: 00016-42023 ( $150)

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/00016-42023inst.pdf

and Part #: PT413-42150 ( $260)

http://www.toyotapart.com/PT413-42150.pdf

YouTube version:
2015 Toyota RAV4 LE Fog Light Installation 1:

and also:
2015 Toyota RAV4 LE Fog Light Installation 2 :

I already installed the OEM Factory Fog lights, without taking the bumper off like in the YouTube video, took about 30 minutes, just turned the wheels , connected the lights to the factory harness and added the OEM relay in a fuse box. Now if I can figure out the switch wiring...
I would like to make the switch wiring look like it was factory installed.
image of MIT wiring diagram:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAV4_FOG_LIGHT_MIT_CCT_rev_4.jpg (100.7 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg Dash_Switch.jpg (78.9 KB, 225 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to m92660 For This Useful Post:
cowbow (05-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I installed Toyota part number PT413-42150 on my 2015 Rave LE. I ordered the kit off ebay seller toyotamall1 which came with the old instructions you have linked in your post above.

The old instructions tell you to tap a grey wire on the body ecu that is non-existent on my 2015 Rav4. I messaged the ebay seller which turns out to be Sullivan Brothers Toyota and they very quickly supplied the correct instructions. Top notch customer service.

The new instructions (Issue: E 11/26/2014) provides details on how to insert the new harness into pin 27 of the body ecu connector. You simply pry the lower shell of the connector apart and correctly seat the new terminal in place and snap it back together. The supplied harness has the correct terminal pre-installed (see circled in yellow). Very simple to accomplish in less than 10 minutes (time my clock lost due to battery disconnect).

Total installation time was 40 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fog_connector.jpg (172.8 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg pin_27.jpg (151.0 KB, 380 views)

Last edited by sb15rav4; 12-05-2015 at 09:38 PM. Reason: image added
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sb15rav4 For This Useful Post:
erio (05-28-2017), m92660 (12-05-2015)
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you very much !!!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 12:48 PM

Fog Light Install on a 2014 RAV4 LE

I have a 2014 RAV4 LE that has the harness and fog light fuse already in place but no fog lights and no relay (same as the person who made the two videos on his 2015 model). I too ordered the kit that came with the "hot switch". I liked very much what he did with all his efforts but very unclear on how to modify the "hot" switch to turn it into a "ground" switch. Seems like he is using diodes and such according to his hand written diagram in part 2 of his video. Having fog lights "on" at the same time as the high beams of the headlights is very undesirable. Anyone that has driven in fog knows that high beams make visibility even worse! So, I would rather turn the fog lights on/off manually, but override the fog lights to "off" when ignition key is turned off (key position 1). I believe he stated this could be done with 3C pin 45 (+ACC). However, it seems that when one particular fellow did this, he encountered a whole bunch of warning light problems on his dash panel. The author of the videos replied that was probably because he was connecting ACC+ to ground.

1) So my question is, should I use the "hot switch" version that has a control wire (WHT , YEL, or GRN as the case may be) and also use 3C pin 45 so that the hot switch only receives power when the ignition key switch is turned to position 2 or 3? I am still thinking that the factory installed fuse will still come into play if I am using the factory installed harness, and I am also thinking that I will still need to buy the Fog relay and place it in the relay box on the left side under the hood. Are my assumptions correct?

2) I still haven't figured out where my control wire (WHT , YEL, or GRN as the case may be) connects to and where to connect the red wire of the "hot switch". The video author says to connect the red wire of the fog switch to the red wire of the TRAC/VSC switch located on the left side of the fog light switch in his video. However, that is also assuming that you are using the modified "ground switch" version like he used. Again I have a problem with the modifications he made. He says he cut two wires and he added two wires but his diagram shows diodes being used. Very unclear. It is my understanding that his method only allows the fog lights to come on if the headlight high beams are "on". I think its a better idea to be able to switch the fog lights "on" and "off" anytime, but only when the ignition ACC+ switch is in position 2 or 3, so that you don't accidentally leave the fog lights on and run your battery down. I need help achieving this.

Thanks again to the author of the videos for all his efforts in trying to accommodate everyone. I would appreciate anyone here who could shed a little more light (no pun intended).
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 09:50 PM

Toyota part number PT413-42150 functions as follows on my '15 Rav4:

Fog light switch on-->
when headlights are switched on, the fog lights are illuminated
when headlights are switched off, the fog lights are off
when the high beams are on, the fog lights are off

A car will fail the annual state inspection where I live if the fog lights come on with high beams on so I don't have much of a choice
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Red face help needed!!!!

Hi guys...
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my 2015 fog light installation. I bought a kit on eBay and the supply switch cable have different colors...i supply pics for your appreciation. If possible a walk-through of installation will be much appreciate....thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160402_144638.jpg (120.0 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 20160402_144659.jpg (113.5 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by tarzanBoy; 04-06-2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: missing pics
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 08:08 AM

This whole thing got me drove nuts. I installed foglights on my tacoma years back which came prewired also. It was all plug and play right to switch harness itself. So now I'm installing fogs in my father laws rav. I got denso Relay bought with foglight kit thinking it was going to be easy But this ground switch/hot switch thing and what pin to put it in got me drove crazy. How do i get that insert pin on my lead wire?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 07:33 AM

Hello I saw these at the dealership a few days ago. If anyone is interested of adding LED to the fog lights and DRL.
http://www.amazon.com/SOUTHEAST-TOYO.../dp/B01ETLSG4M
They say they fit the Rav 4.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 03:08 PM

Yes, I just did this install. Went well except it was like doing brain surgery upside down under the dash. Very fine work in very tight quarters for a ham fisted guy. My advise, find a petite brain surgeon to do this part.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 04:50 PM

Ok for everyone watch the YouTube video take the bumper off and put on and plug up the lights ok now wire up the switch black ground to reds r hot jump power off the tac control red wire on that the off color wire purple green or yellow take at wire to the relay box find the plz on the relay box that say fog drl but don't put a relay in take a in line fuse put a male end put it in the middle pin and take the other in of the inline fuse and hook it up to line coming from the switch everything should work hope I help this is what I done on my 2015 rav4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page