OEM Continental Crosscontact LX done at 37,000? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
OEM Continental Crosscontact LX done at 37,000?

I have a question about the factory tires that came on my wife's 2015 Rav4 LE AWD. With only 37,000 miles the tires are almost shot. We took a long trip last weekend and there were several times when the vehicle lost control in slippery conditions and needed to be corrected on the highway. Even at 40mph I didn't fee confident in the Rav4 while other vehicles were driving 70mph without an issue.

Before this winter, we had never experienced any issues with light snow or semi icy conditions.

Before we left on the trip I set the tire pressure to the factory recommended 33psi (cold). After the Rav slipped on my wife a few times we pulled over to switch drivers and I checked the tire pressure and all the tires were between 37-38 psi (warm). I immediately decreased the pressure to 31 psi and the Rav drove better but it was still dicy and would easily get squirrely.

I don't have a tool to measure the tread depth but there isn't much left. All the tires are worn evenly and have been rotated since new. I was hoping to make it through this winter on these tires but that might not happen. This morning my wife was following me to work and I was able to make good contact with the road in my Saab 9-5 Aero while she said she was slipping all over.

Has anyone else experience this with the factory tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The OEM Bridgestone Duelers that came on our '15 Limited AWD were at about 50% at 21K when we bought it. With winter approaching here in Iowa, I wasn't really confident in them/the remaining tread, so we replaced them with Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 tires and they have been great. Every car I've ever owned from new always had the tires wear out long before they should have - but they also seemed to be of cheaper quality, regardless of the name on the sidewall. The OEM Michelins we had on our Honda Odyssey were shot at 30K and we replaced them with another set of Michelins (same model) and they went close to 70K.

I've heard, can't verify the truthfulness of it, that OEM tires are of a softer compound to create a better ride during the initial purchase...do I believe that? Not really, but I wouldn't put it past auto makers. I do know there are different "lines" of products manufactured depending on where they will be sold. Brand name tires I see at Walmart are not of the same quality I have seen at the actual tire shops, so...
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRedline View Post
I don't have a tool to measure the tread depth but there isn't much left.
A tread depth gauge costs 1¢. Get the 25¢ version if you like.

Ω

2011 Limited, V6, Blizzard Pearl
SE Minnesota
The Following User Says Thank You to pico For This Useful Post:
CB91710 (01-25-2018)

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,797 Posts
Garage
Consider yourself lucky. The Yokohama Geolandar G91A's that came on my RAV were done at 28K. The Bridgestone Ecopias I replaced them with are still looking great at over 27K.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I live in the Minneapolis area and just put a set of Continental True Contacts and my size is 225/65 17. I LOVE Continentals. It's the only tire brand I will buy. I worked in the tire biz for 4 years when I was just out of high school, and raced cars is local autocross, and had a hobby Audi repair shop for years. So I have some idea on tires. First off, 31 PSI on a tire that has a top PSI rating of 51. I don't like how the tires handle with that low of PSI. 33 PSI that is on door beam is too low I think. Every car I have driven handles badly when put to the OEM side beam PSI. I run 40-42 PSI in front and 36-37 PSI in the rear and test this after driving around 5 miles in summer and 10 miles in winter. I go with 40 in the rear when towing because I u sally have a loaded area behind the back seat and trailer tongue weight added.

TrueContact - 225/65R17 102T Tire | Continental

I the old OEM Bridgstones off at 26,000 miles and they were at 4/32 and sold those for $125 and put that in for the new set of True Contacts. Add the $100 from Discount Tire and $70 from Continental, I only payed $100 for the new set. I myself like Continental's Traction Grooves technology, as seen in this video below The True Contacts have that technology and the DWS rating system which is a name of one of their Ultra All-Seasons but is it also stands for Dry/Wet/Snow and the letters are casted into the rubber on the tread to show when the S wears away it is suggested it is not good for snow anymore and when the W gets wore away it is not good for Wet anymore.

That being said, your tires are rated for 50,000 miles and got 37,000 out of them. That's good, you never get the manufacture set amount. Some do, most don't. You even said they are almost bald. No tire will do good in that condition. You look at all top brands , even Michelin people complain on noise, ride, and wet/snow holding ability when any tire gets under 5/32. I pull my tire at around 5/32 to 4/32 and i sell them on Craigslist to people that will be glad they could get tires at a cheap cost with some tread left on it. Then you don't have to pay for junking your tires. I only expect to see at best 35,000 out of the True Contacts before selling them again to get new. My wife has a heavy foot and is hard on the brakes, so tire life is reduced. I just don't like bald tires in Minnesota winters for my wife, AWD or not. I will do it again on Discount Tires 4th of July sale, it seems to be their best sale time. I even waited 1 month to put them on and let them store them, because they don't carry that size and had to get them. It was not even on their site. I just shopped to see the sizes on Continental's US site. Which believe it or not is always accurate on what sizes available. The next time around I may have to buy them on the 4th July sale and take them home till I get the wear at 4/32 that could come early or mid spring or late fall.

Have you had your Rav4 in for a 4 wheel alignment and reset for maximum mileage for tires and NOT just in the broad spectrum swings that are considered "in spec". Example: My Hyundai Elantra GT is all squarely in the rear when on icy snow because the rear alignment is way out but "still in spec", way on the end but Hyundai won't do it under warranty. SO if I decide to keep that car I will have it re aligned at a racing specialty shop so I know it is done right without the attitude "it's good enough."

Here are the tires I have on my Hyundai Elantra GT. Sold the OEM's with 15,000 on them and sold them for $225. I bought 2 sets on DT 4th of July sale. The second link below here is what I had on my Honda Fit that I just sold. Notice the nice tread patterns Continental has, all these tire I posted had the DWS and Traction Groove Technology. It helps.

http://www.continentaltire.com/produ...t-19565r15-91h

http://www.continentaltire.com/produ...-20545zr17-88w

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think that's a lot of miles for a tire that only has a 360-380TW rating. But for a soft tire, I assume you enjoyed the quiet ride. If you want max miles (along with more tire noise) look for a tire with >600TW rating

-Keith
2014 RAV4 XLE
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k757 View Post
I think that's a lot of miles for a tire that only has a 360-380TW rating. But for a soft tire, I assume you enjoyed the quiet ride. If you want max miles (along with more tire noise) look for a tire with >600TW rating

This tire is a 800, but you will never see the 90,000 miles it claims. 40,000 is more like it, 50,000+ if you drive like Grandpa and are lucky to have a well aligned car.

TrueContact - 225/65R17 102T Tire | Continental

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Geolandars are suppose to last up to 60,000 miles with correct rotation according to some tire websites, it has 740AA rating. My 2016 SE came with Toyo open country A20 which is rated at 300AA more than half the less the life of the Geolandars and I'm currently at 42000miles and the dealer & tireshop told me I still have about 35-40% life left of it.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,797 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrack View Post
Geolandars are suppose to last up to 60,000 miles with correct rotation according to some tire websites, it has 740AA rating. My 2016 SE came with Toyo open country A20 which is rated at 300AA more than half the less the life of the Geolandars and I'm currently at 42000miles and the dealer & tireshop told me I still have about 35-40% life left of it.
Not all Geolandars are the same. The Geolandar G91 version is a very crappy OEM tire. Read the reviews on Tirerack.com.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainia View Post
First off, 31 PSI on a tire that has a top PSI rating of 51. I don't like how the tires handle with that low of PSI. 33 PSI that is on door beam is too low I think.
I would normally run them at 33-35psi as recommend. I only lowered them to 31psi on this trip since we were slipping all over the highway. It made a significant difference that day.

Quote:
That being said, your tires are rated for 50,000 miles and got 37,000 out of them. That's good, you never get the manufacture set amount. Some do, most don't. You even said they are almost bald. No tire will do good in that condition. You look at all top brands , even Michelin people complain on noise, ride, and wet/snow holding ability when any tire gets under 5/32. I pull my tire at around 5/32 to 4/32 and i sell them on Craigslist to people that will be glad they could get tires at a cheap cost with some tread left on it. Then you don't have to pay for junking your tires.
Good point about getting 37,000 out of an OE tire. That is a good tip for selling used tires. I've done that with other vehicles I've owned but I had a buyer lined up who needed what I was selling. It worked out good for both of us. I got to enjoy and best part of the tire and he got to enjoy the low price.

Quote:
Have you had your Rav4 in for a 4 wheel alignment and reset for maximum mileage for tires and NOT just in the broad spectrum swings that are considered "in spec".
No. It hasn't been in for an alignment. The tires have been rotated under Toyata's 25,000 No Cost Maintenance plan. The tires are evenly worn. I understand the alignment could be adjusted to provide better fuel economy and mileage by taking out some of the camber. But we live in the WI and get presented with many different driving conditions so I think the factory specs are best for us.

Thank you for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page