WARNING - Front Camera Vulnerability! - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
WARNING - Front Camera Vulnerability!

Hello,

For those that have the Birdseye View (Technology Package) the grille camera is vulnerable to to rock hits/chips. Found out on a recent 600 mile highway trip (total mileage only 18K) the hard way!

To make matters MUCH worse is that Toyota wants $1100 for a replacement camera! You can get a steal of a deal online for only $700-800. What a rip-off! Toyota you should be ashamed of yourself for a piss-poor design and gouging repair part prices!

If yours is still intact you might want to consider either removing it or taping it over with several layers of duct tape until a transparent protective solution can be found. I have a few ideas in mind but I'm not about to pay $800 for a new camera!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
What about insurance? I go through on average 1 windshield per year and 2-3 windshield repairs. Its about 150$ for a a windshield and maybe $10 for a repair. The rest is picked up by the insurance company. Not from America here so I don't know your insurance system.

Your front camera which is part of your vehicle had a collision, that could work as semantics otherwise

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khav View Post
No, this seems to be some aftermarket add-on camera.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
What about insurance? I go through on average 1 windshield per year and 2-3 windshield repairs. Its about 150$ for a a windshield and maybe $10 for a repair. The rest is picked up by the insurance company. Not from America here so I don't know your insurance system.

Your front camera which is part of your vehicle had a collision, that could work as semantics otherwise
In my state (NC) this would be covered under collision at your deductible which in my case is $500. On top of that a collision claim will raise my insurance rates by a non-trivial amount for the next 3 years so a claim would cost MORE than a new camera.

It would be nice if comprehensive (covers windshields) would cover it as I have a $0 deductible and they can't raise my rates for a comprehensive claim. Unfortunately, my conversations with the NC insurance commission indicates that something like this is NOT covered by comprehensive coverage.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like one more reason to skip the ATP option that I've been living without for over 5 decades of driving.

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:56 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,783 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sr View Post
In my state (NC) this would be covered under collision at your deductible which in my case is $500. On top of that a collision claim will raise my insurance rates by a non-trivial amount for the next 3 years so a claim would cost MORE than a new camera.

It would be nice if comprehensive (covers windshields) would cover it as I have a $0 deductible and they can't raise my rates for a comprehensive claim. Unfortunately, my conversations with the NC insurance commission indicates that something like this is NOT covered by comprehensive coverage.
You could always claim that it was vandalized and comprehensive would cover it.

My insurance company told me that if an object hits my car AFTER bouncing up off the ground, that's considered collision. BUT, it it fell off the back of another vehicle, and hit my car DIRECTLY without hitting the ground first, that's considered comprehensive. Read the fine print.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sr View Post

Why would that not be a comprehensive claim? Collision is for when you cause an accident and it will pay to repair your own car. Comprehensive is for damage exactly like this. When I hit a deer it was covered under comprehensive. When we hit a plastic bucket that flew out of a pick up truck bed and ran over it our comprehensive covered the damage. No different then a rock or road debris damaging anything on your car, it's a comprehensive claim. Act of God things, theft, road debris, etc is all comprehensiveI would check with your insurance as that make s zero sense. The meaning of collision is not road debris flying into your car and damaging it.

2017 RAV4 XLE AWD / 2017 Corolla iM 6MT
2010 Prius III / 2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT
2006 Scion xB 5MT / 1995 Supercharged Previa
1989 Supercharged MR2 5MT
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperchargedMR2 For This Useful Post:
RD180 (04-17-2019)
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
You could always claim that it was vandalized and comprehensive would cover it.

My insurance company told me that if an object hits my car AFTER bouncing up off the ground, that's considered collision. BUT, it it fell off the back of another vehicle, and hit my car DIRECTLY without hitting the ground first, that's considered comprehensive. Read the fine print.
I have considered this but there is the issue of "proof". Vandalism would require a certified police report. Flying rock would be my word against theirs and if they didn't believe me they would then file it under "collision" and raise my rates while only covering half of the damages.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Is there a clear product that can be applies to the lens that would protect it from breaking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page