Spare Tire - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills Toy View Post
At this time, no. What I have is in my fenced back yard under a large high carport. My max towing is 2,000 lbs. thatís everything including personal items, food, etc. my RAV4 is rated for 3,500 lbs. which to me means nothing. Towing info can be found on the internet and camper forums. There are basic rules to follow and you will find them like I mentioned. I do have pics in this forum of my hitch, air bags, and brake controller. I camp off grid. No power. Therefore, the 13í Scamp has no bathroom, hot water heater, air conditioning. It is basicóa place to sleep. The Forest River pop-up has no ac, does have hot water heateródonít use. It is a place to sleep. Both are under 1,500 lbs. without our gear. I always use a sway controller.
We are basically tent campers (yes we also use a tent) we get away from everything, including people. Unfortunately the RAV4 can not go where my off road Tacoma could. We have hiked in only to find our isolated places have been discovered and have been trashed.
Decades ago, campers were the best people to meet. Everything was inexpensive. Never had to worry about stuff being stolen. Today is another story, and I feel bad for young people who can never experience the true camping experience as it once was. Sorry for ranting.
It's alright! Trust me I know.. I'll be 27 and I feel bad for myself and my daughter's generation! I've never gone camping but would love to do it like you do with actual tents! Unfortunately, my Rav4 is not AWD.. (I messed up there!) but for a dirt/rocky road, it does just fine. I have no plans of taking it in the mud or anything, just basic off road stuff. Plus where I live, the nearest mountain is a mountain of trash off the highway lol (Miami). I mainly wanted it for when I go to Georgia. Next vehicle I get will either be a big SUV or a truck for sure and with towing and 4x4! But that'll have to wait lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizia829 View Post
It's alright! Trust me I know.. I'll be 27 and I feel bad for myself and my daughter's generation! I've never gone camping but would love to do it like you do with actual tents! Unfortunately, my Rav4 is not AWD.. (I messed up there!) but for a dirt/rocky road, it does just fine. I have no plans of taking it in the mud or anything, just basic off road stuff. Plus where I live, the nearest mountain is a mountain of trash off the highway lol (Miami). I mainly wanted it for when I go to Georgia. Next vehicle I get will either be a big SUV or a truck for sure and with towing and 4x4! But that'll have to wait lol
My Adventure tows nice. See attached pic. I just came back from a long trip and I never checked before but I got 23mpg towing. I took the carrier off and put the full size spare in the back. If you pac right, it works. To tell ya the truth, I was shocked at what I was getting in gas mileage. At best, I got 19mpg in my Tacoma.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A62E6FDF-F753-4C90-8CB1-F0BF3C7EF316.jpg (349.3 KB, 65 views)

2015 XLE AWD-Hot Lava
STEPPENWOLF https://youtu.be/A-7uwshsfFI
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
My Adventure tows nice. See attached pic. I just came back from a long trip and I never checked before but I got 23mpg towing. I took the carrier off and put the full size spare in the back. If you pac right, it works. To tell ya the truth, I was shocked at what I was getting in gas mileage. At best, I got 19mpg in my Tacoma.
Sorry for the late response! Haven't been able to log in for a while. Wow! I'm surprised at the mileage you were doing! I'm a bit hesitant about towing with my XLE still.. I don't have anything set up on the car itself besides the towing hitch. I'm sure I can get away with a small camper like yours but i'd have to be careful with speed and braking. Hoping once I move out of state that I can tow a u-haul without a problem

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WOW.I'm surprised at the mileage you were doing!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Thought I would share with you how I carry a full size spare. I live in the Rockies (waiting for Yellowstone to blow) and when I pull a camper or just have a full load in my RAV4, there are hundreds of miles between where I can get a flat fixed. Plus that donut spare canít handle a full load especially towing a camper. See pics below. I use a bungee net and or also use a black tarp. This works well for me. I also carry a portable folding plastic step to help reach. Total weight (I also have the Adventure rim on the spare) is 81lbs which I have to add to myGVWR.
Hi mate I'm curious how the boot would look like with a full-sized spare, would you have any pics? Cheers
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:30 AM
arf

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Here is my full size 245/65/17 spare ‘mounted’ in my trunk. I wish there were a better way to keep it in place, for now I have it held in place by a ratchet strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 603208BC-A9DC-46D3-B8AB-4B12503EA01C_1557149408639.jpg (119.3 KB, 25 views)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzy9 View Post
Hi mate I'm curious how the boot would look like with a full-sized spare, would you have any pics? Cheers
Sorry, my 2018 RAV4 Adventure was sold many months ago. Turned out I was killing it here in the Rockies. Motor was too under powered and just wasnít big enough for my use. Had to use my gas hog tundra, but now have a Tacoma. Our current RAV4 belongs to DW and is just used as a work commuter and groceries. Offered her a highlander, but she loves her 2015 RAV4 and wonít get rid of it.

There are pics on the forum where I can put it on the roof in a roof rack. I took out the donut and put another camper spare tire in there, then just put the full size spare in the back. Sorry no pics of that. See what ARF did.

2015 XLE AWD-Hot Lava
STEPPENWOLF https://youtu.be/A-7uwshsfFI
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 AM
reb

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I agree about the necessity of a full size spare. I built a sloping platform to allow room for a full size spare in SWMBO's 2016. Costs a small bit of space, but has essentially no effect on MPGs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page