Spare Tire - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Spare Tire

Thought I would share with you how I carry a full size spare. I live in the Rockies (waiting for Yellowstone to blow) and when I pull a camper or just have a full load in my RAV4, there are hundreds of miles between where I can get a flat fixed. Plus that donut spare can’t handle a full load especially towing a camper. See pics below. I use a bungee net and or also use a black tarp. This works well for me. I also carry a portable folding plastic step to help reach. Total weight (I also have the Adventure rim on the spare) is 81lbs which I have to add to myGVWR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 099FE75E-8C6B-4C0C-B2AD-CDF3D9978078.jpg (253.6 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 9C51CE95-78E0-435F-9F38-8C8775048642.jpg (235.5 KB, 121 views)

2015 XLE AWD-Hot Lava
STEPPENWOLF https://youtu.be/A-7uwshsfFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Thanked 1,050 Times in 873 Posts
Garage
It looks cool, but good luck with your fuel economy, I had a rack like that on my '88 XJ Cherokee, my spare was on a swing out carrier instead of inside the cargo area, fuel economy took a noticeable hit with just the rack. I'd put the full size spare in the trailer when you're towing and/or carry a can of spare tire instead.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-...affect-mgp.htm

https://www.osti.gov/pages/servlets/purl/1257753

2019 XLE Premium AWD
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills Toy View Post
Thought I would share with you how I carry a full size spare. I live in the Rockies (waiting for Yellowstone to blow) and when I pull a camper or just have a full load in my RAV4, there are hundreds of miles between where I can get a flat fixed. Plus that donut spare can’t handle a full load especially towing a camper. See pics below. I use a bungee net and or also use a black tarp. This works well for me. I also carry a portable folding plastic step to help reach. Total weight (I also have the Adventure rim on the spare) is 81lbs which I have to add to myGVWR.
I hear you, and am all for Full-Size Spare Tires--and I do not tow.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
I think if he's towing fuel economy isn't a big deal LOL. I use a rooftop cargo bag which is much larger than his setup and I lose 1 MPG or less.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav4system3 View Post
I think if he's towing fuel economy isn't a big deal LOL. I use a rooftop cargo bag which is much larger than his setup and I lose 1 MPG or less.
Your right about mpg’s and towing. I don’t check and I don’t care. Your right also about mpg’s with the rooftop carrier. I get 26mpg vs 27mpg without carrier. Because I live in this area I know which mountain passes to avoid. Take for instance Teton Pass, if I drive over it we are in my wife’s 2017 Camry Hybrid. When we go camping we are never in a hurry and take the longer way around which is better for the RAV4s engine, transmission and brakes. I don't tow over steep passes, when I can avoid it, towing with anything. To each their own. BTW the carrier makes no additional noise which was a surprise to me. Carrying a full size spare out-in the middle of nowhere—priceless Using power tools and torque wrench even better.

2015 XLE AWD-Hot Lava
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdtoo View Post
It looks cool, but good luck with your fuel economy, I had a rack like that on my '88 XJ Cherokee, my spare was on a swing out carrier instead of inside the cargo area, fuel economy took a noticeable hit with just the rack. I'd put the full size spare in the trailer when you're towing and/or carry a can of spare tire instead.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-...affect-mgp.htm

https://www.osti.gov/pages/servlets/purl/1257753
I have a 2-bike hitch carrier bike rack, I've thought about attaching a spare on that for any long road trips where I didn't take the bikes. I think it could be done without too much difficulty, but I might have to temporarily move the license plate to keep it visible.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there room in the wheel well (that holds the donut spare) for a full size? My wife has a 2012 Camry XLE and we had no problem dropping a full size spare in.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:40 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,796 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofy View Post
Is there room in the wheel well (that holds the donut spare) for a full size? My wife has a 2012 Camry XLE and we had no problem dropping a full size spare in.
No, there isn't enough room for a full size spare. They are available in Europe and other countries, however it requires a raised floor which cuts down on your cargo capacity:

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Do you have a picture of the rav4 towing the camper? Also, how much does your camper weigh and what difference do you feel towing it? I know the Rav wasn't really meant for towing much and with the 1500lb towing limit on my xle, i'm stuck! But I have been wanting to get a camper for our hunting trips and am not sure what to look for..
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizia829 View Post
Do you have a picture of the rav4 towing the camper? Also, how much does your camper weigh and what difference do you feel towing it? I know the Rav wasn't really meant for towing much and with the 1500lb towing limit on my xle, i'm stuck! But I have been wanting to get a camper for our hunting trips and am not sure what to look for..
At this time, no. What I have is in my fenced back yard under a large high carport. My max towing is 2,000 lbs. that’s everything including personal items, food, etc. my RAV4 is rated for 3,500 lbs. which to me means nothing. Towing info can be found on the internet and camper forums. There are basic rules to follow and you will find them like I mentioned. I do have pics in this forum of my hitch, air bags, and brake controller. I camp off grid. No power. Therefore, the 13’ Scamp has no bathroom, hot water heater, air conditioning. It is basic—a place to sleep. The Forest River pop-up has no ac, does have hot water heater—don’t use. It is a place to sleep. Both are under 1,500 lbs. without our gear. I always use a sway controller.
We are basically tent campers (yes we also use a tent) we get away from everything, including people. Unfortunately the RAV4 can not go where my off road Tacoma could. We have hiked in only to find our isolated places have been discovered and have been trashed.
Decades ago, campers were the best people to meet. Everything was inexpensive. Never had to worry about stuff being stolen. Today is another story, and I feel bad for young people who can never experience the true camping experience as it once was. Sorry for ranting.

2015 XLE AWD-Hot Lava
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page