Types of lift kits - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Types of lift kits

Hello,

I have been looking around for lift kits and I see that there is a good selection of them available for 4.4s now.

There is this one from ReadyLIFT that looks more "legit" than spacers at the rear : https://www.readylift.com/2-0-sst-li...ta-rav4-1.html

Ryan Millen, the Rav4 rally car driver, has produced a lift kit that looks similar to others on the market, but it includes a linkage that I am not sure what it is for : Store ? Millen Adventures

CMR makes the kit we all know: Toyota RAV4 Lift Kit 2006-2017 (Including Booster/ Sag Correction Kits)

Finally you have the kit Tema4x4 kits you find on Amazon or eBay.

My question is, do any of these offer performance gains over the other? I read a bit about lifts for larger vehicles and it is agreed that suspension upgrades are much better than spacers, but Rav4 owners do not really have a choice. Does ReadyLIFT with their different rear cradle drop setup provide any benefit over CMR/Tema4x4/Ryan Millen kits with the spacer at the rear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 05:07 PM
arf

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I have been running the Tema kit but I don’t like the rear spacers. I don’t think the rear suspension works well with a spacer over the coil.

If I had to do it again I’d go with the ReadyLift or LP Adventure kit. Both space the subframe from the body of the vehicle.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf View Post
I have been running the Tema kit but I donít like the rear spacers. I donít think the rear suspension works well with a spacer over the coil.

If I had to do it again Iíd go with the ReadyLift or LP Adventure kit. Both space the subframe from the body of the vehicle.
Hello Arf,

What makes you dislike the rear spacers? May I ask how your experience with the lift kit has been so far?

Thank you

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently looking LP Aventure lift kit. I have some of their products and those parts are great products.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:03 PM
arf

I say that rear spacers aren’t the best option based on my experience with the Tema kit.

I installed the kit on my Rav4 (front and rear) and after 3 months one of the spacers in the rear cracked at the lip (part that sits in the coil). I luckily found it wedged half inside the coil during a routine check and then just removed rear spacers completely for now.

The way coil spacers sit with the rear suspension is at a slight angle (the coils and spacers aren’t 100% vertical) and it seems to me that it places a lot of stress on the lip of the spacer.

Had the kit been made of steel or aluminium I’m sure the break could have been avoided but it still doesn’t seem like the propper way to lift the rear.

Tema was very easy to work with and is sending me a new rear set. I’m not necessarily blaming them for the failure but I am certain I installed the kit properly and I had not even been rough with the car at that point - just daily driving. Defects can happen and they were very helpful and courteous.

I have kept the front spacers in and am at stock height in the rear for now - the Rav actually sits level this way. Still, I am working on a homemade kit for the rear. I have gotten 1” stainless spacers machined to space the subframe cradle from the body (as the quality kits like LP Adventure or ReadyLift do) and am sourcing the right hardware needed to get the job done properly. Once I have everything I need the install should be pretty straightforward. I’ll keep you all posted. Looking back I wish I had just gone with the LP adventure kit but it was out of my price range at the time (and still is truthfully although it is by far the best kit out there).

I’m not an expert so take it for what its worth!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:51 PM
arf

I will post an update in case anybody's interested.

I have installed my homemade lift kit for the rear of the 4.4 RAV4. It was pretty easy to piece together based on information I found online about other kits for sale.

The spacers I had machined are these:

What I used:

4x spacers, 1'' tall, M14 hole and approx 1.5'' wide
4x grade 8 bolts, M14 x approx 4.25'' long. Fine thread
4x M14 washers, grade 8
4x bigger washers for behind the M14 washers (too small)

Install was fairly simple with hand tools and a floor jack. Remove rear coils, drop subframe, remove stock bolts and reinstall with spacers and new hardware. Here's the final result - front 1.5'' strut spacers (Tema 4x4) and rear homemade 1'' subframe lift:

If anybody has questions feel free to PM me.

Again do this at your own risk, I assume no responsability for anything you do!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I'm looking into the Ready Lift. I like the LP Adventure kit but I fill like it's overpriced.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 01:03 PM
arf

I haven’t heard of anybody running the readylift kit but I would try it, seems like a good option.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf View Post
I will post an update in case anybody's interested.

I have installed my homemade lift kit for the rear of the 4.4 RAV4. It was pretty easy to piece together based on information I found online about other kits for sale.

The spacers I had machined are these:

What I used:

4x spacers, 1'' tall, M14 hole and approx 1.5'' wide
4x grade 8 bolts, M14 x approx 4.25'' long. Fine thread
4x M14 washers, grade 8
4x bigger washers for behind the M14 washers (too small)

Install was fairly simple with hand tools and a floor jack. Remove rear coils, drop subframe, remove stock bolts and reinstall with spacers and new hardware. Here's the final result - front 1.5'' strut spacers (Tema 4x4) and rear homemade 1'' subframe lift:

If anybody has questions feel free to PM me.

Again do this at your own risk, I assume no responsability for anything you do!

What size tires did you squeeze in after the lift? Brand? Wheel size?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 05:16 PM
arf

What is pictured is my winter tire and wheel setup, they are Yoko Iceguards in 225/65R17 (stock size) on the stock rims, hubcaps removed. I am also running 1*inch wheel spacers.

For the summer, to compliment the lift, I recently bought a new set of Firestone Destination AT in 245/65R17. They are on Dai target wheels in 17x7.5. I will post pics once I put them on in March.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page