How many TPMS' can be paired... - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Lav

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question How many TPMS' can be paired...

I am picking up my new winter wheels next week at the dealer. He will mount them on the car and pair the TPMS sensors with my RAV4.

So:
1) What exactly is it that he will do when pairing them (identifying their ID on the TPMS package?, Pushing buttons?, OBD2 interface etc.)?
2) Is there enough "memory" in the car to pair both summer and winter tyres - so I can just change between them and that's it?
3) Am I right that in the future the tyre pressure will always be measured correctly no matter what set of wheels I am using (or if I swap the front pair with the rear)

Thank you.

Happy smooth driving,
Steffen

2018 Rav4 Hybrid Selection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav View Post
I am picking up my new winter wheels next week at the dealer. He will mount them on the car and pair the TPMS sensors with my RAV4.

So:
1) What exactly is it that he will do when pairing them (identifying their ID on the TPMS package?, Pushing buttons?, OBD2 interface etc.)?
2) Is there enough "memory" in the car to pair both summer and winter tyres - so I can just change between them and that's it?
3) Am I right that in the future the tyre pressure will always be measured correctly no matter what set of wheels I am using (or if I swap the front pair with the rear)

Thank you.
This might help you. You can search this FORUM for TECHSTREAM to find a few good threads.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-7VAe7YoENo
The Following User Says Thank You to @2011rav4 For This Useful Post:
Lav (10-15-2018)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

So:

Thank you.

I have seen this been done a couple of times on my Toyotas, guess it will be the same procedure for you.

1. Each sensor/wheel mounted on the car will be scanned with a handheld tool to get the unique ID-code for each sensor. These ID-codes will then be transferred to TPMS control unit by connecting the handheld tool to the OBD2 interface. That’s it.

2. Yes, newer Toyota has the ability to register two sets of wheels with TPMS sensors. My RAV4 was delivered in January with winter wheels on, and my summer wheels on standby, they were all registered into TPMS unit at delivery. When I changed wheels in springtime, I just checked they had the right pressure and they were accepted by the control unit, no flashing warning light, worked like a charm! That’s how I was told by my Service Center to do, no pressing on “the famous” Set button as stated in the online manual.

3. Yes, there shouldn’t be any problem, see my answer for Q no. 2. Not sure about swapping the front pair with the rear, never done it.

2017 RAV4 Executive 2.0 Petrol AWD
The Following User Says Thank You to kupa For This Useful Post:
Lav (10-15-2018)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Lav

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @2011rav4 View Post
This might help you. You can search this FORUM for TECHSTREAM to find a few good threads.

Thanks - wow, what a process....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy smooth driving,
Steffen

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Lav

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupa View Post
I have seen this been done a couple of times on my Toyotas, guess it will be the same procedure for you.

1. Each sensor/wheel mounted on the car will be scanned with a handheld tool to get the unique ID-code for each sensor. These ID-codes will then be transferred to TPMS control unit by connecting the handheld tool to the OBD2 interface. That’s it.

2. Yes, newer Toyota has the ability to register two sets of wheels with TPMS sensors. My RAV4 was delivered in January with winter wheels on, and my summer wheels on standby, they were all registered into TPMS unit at delivery. When I changed wheels in springtime, I just checked they had the right pressure and they were accepted by the control unit, no flashing warning light, worked like a charm! That’s how I was told by my Service Center to do, no pressing on “the famous” Set button as stated in the online manual.

3. Yes, there shouldn’t be any problem, see my answer for Q no. 2. Not sure about swapping the front pair with the rear, never done it.

Thanks a lot - just the answer I was hoping to hear

Happy smooth driving,
Steffen

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupa View Post

Anyone know how new the vehicle needs to be to have this capability? Will the 2016's do two sets of wheels?

2016 AWD Limited, Silver/Gray, Advanced Tech
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
Anyone know how new the vehicle needs to be to have this capability? Will the 2016's do two sets of wheels?
The ECU has supported two sets at least since 2008 on the Tacoma.

-- Rich
2015 Rav4 XLE, 2016 Corolla S-Premium

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Lav

(Thread Starter)
How many TPMS' can be paired...

I just received this little fellow from Carista (my other one wasn't recognized by the app) and now I can nicely read both the summer and winter wheels amongst a lot of other things....

The Toyota guy told me though that I would have press the button under the dashboard three times in order to toggle back to the first wheel set. Well, let's see what happens next spring when I swap back to the summer wheels.

Happy smooth driving,
Steffen

The Following User Says Thank You to Lav For This Useful Post:
kupa (10-18-2018)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I just received this little fellow from Carista (my other one wasn't recognized by the app) and now I can nicely read both the summer and winter wheels amongst a lot of other things....

The Toyota guy told me though that I would have press the button under the dashboard three times in order to toggle back to the first wheel set. Well, let's see what happens next spring when I swap back to the summer wheels.

Nice, now you’re “fully equipped”, check out the Customize section in the app, you can change settings there that I didn’t know existed in RAV4.

SET button is “mysterious”, I’ve read about all kinds of ways of using it:
1 long press for 3 sec.
3 short press.
3 short press, then a long 3 sec press.
5 short press, then o long press.

And so on…

I took, as I wrote, the easy way, didn’t do anything at all, worked for me…

2017 RAV4 Executive 2.0 Petrol AWD
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You can also clone your existing TPMS sensors.

I know I am reviving an old thread by hopefully someone else will find this information useful.

There are now programmable aftermarket sensors that you can "clone" to have the same IDs as your first wheel set. In this case no programming needs to be done to the car and the wheels can just be changed back and forth without any additional procedures.

I am using Autel MX-Sensors that I got for $25 each. I have also purchased a $50 programmer for the sensors (Autel MaxiTPMS PAD). I have done this to have two sets of wheels on a 2014 Lexus and a 2011 Nissan. I will do the same on my RAV4 when I buy snow wheels/tires next fall.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Univers.../dp/B07FFSHJHN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RD180 For This Useful Post:
CB91710 (04-23-2019), volosong (04-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page