Try 2356017 tires (particularly for XLEs) - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Try 2356017 tires (particularly for XLEs)

For XLEs soon to replace tires (4/32 or less), (or for those who want to go OEM wheels to 17" from 18")
you might want to try 2356017 (instead of the default 2256517)

I just did (on a 2016), using Yokohama Avid Ascend GT, and so far so good.
So much less of "boat at sea" feeling (what a difference 10mm makes).

The tradeoff is there's less steering feel (very noticeable on "normal" mode driving,..less noticeable on "sport").
but if you want a more car-like feel to your driving (so much less sway on turns, less side-to-side "at sea" on non-ideal roads), i think it's worth it to lose some of the "responsiveness".

If you like responsiveness, see if the Altimax RT43 (H) rated has that.
I've wanted to use that before but they used to have only T-rated 23560.
So i stuck with their H rated 2256517. (It seems they just came out with the H rated 23560 fairly recently. I have already bought the Yoko's when i found out.) One of my 4.4ravs took a non-repairable puncture so i finally decided to switch to the Yoko's which came out I think a year ago.

The Avid Ascend GTs fit my criteria of traction/temperature A A rating (not A B), good reviews, and less than $150 price.
Michelins will always be over that price.
The Yoko's even beat the (superb in the rain)Premier A/S on wet conditions (!!) [see tire rack reviews]

If you buy at discount tire, you can try them Yoko's and if you don't like them,..they will let you switch back to 22565's at not much cost since they reimburse the full price (including tax) of the first install.
I did that a few years ago, trying on 2355518 with aftermarket wheels (I'm originally an LE), before deciding to go OEM wheel 17" (about 2 weeks after).

I'm not sure how this tire will behave on the LE (steel)wheel (even if it's also 17"), since it's a narrower width at 6.5" i think, and 2356017 tires i think are optimized on 7" wide wheels,..so i'm recommending them for XLEs.

So far i have less than 100 miles on them, I will update this post if i have any problems with the tires.

For those trying on the 23560 Altimax RT43's instead please comment on this post as to how your experience is with it.
I have their 22565's on the other rav, and they are great/responsive tires, but i think the Rav should at the very least be on 235 not 225. (That means those 225s currently installed on the other rav [2018] will have to go soon too. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I take back my recommendation for the Avid Ascend GT. (or "re-evaluate per your driving style/needs")

see post number 8 on this thread.

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/125...ml#post2688281
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Let me just complete my post about this topic, as i now have both the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT , and, the General Altimax RT 43.

Both in 2356017, 102 H.
The Yokohama on my wife's rav, the General on mine.

Get the Yokohama for:
-mostly city driving, or you drive just point A-to-B (i.e. you don't see [spirited]driving as a "fun" part of life), always driving in full Auto.
-TURNS (it's like there's zero understeer. I don't remember my head ever swaying when taking turns)
-STOPPING POWER (especially if your rav is actually an LE [smaller brake rotors], and have switched to 17x7 alloys like i have on both of my ravs)
-driving where it rains a lot (rain is "nothing" for this tire)
-quietness. (but then now you can hear more of the engine, because the tire is really quiet.)

Get the General for:
-quick acceleration from stops (merging from residential street into the main road at the intersection),
-if you like to play a bit with your rav[you're usually in "sport" mode] or if you oftentimes need "agility" from the rav, such as changing lanes if needed, and space on the other lanes will usually be tight so you have to take it soonest the space is available (or you could miss your exit). This usually needs having to manually shift, dropping the gear to 4th.

The General is also good in the rains (but the Yoko is really great).
It's not as good as the Yoko in stopping power (but you can manually shift as needed, as a workaround.)
The rav would usually want to be at the 5th gear as much as possible, and simply flicking the shifter to "S" (which makes it drop to 4th usually) gives you more stopping power versus if you didn't. (Again,..as per my LE experience.)

If you're getting the Yokohama, take note that initially it may be quite slow.
Not sure if they're consistent on their mix, (on the tire compound), but when i put new ones on on my rav, i got fed up with it and switched to the General (at about 200 miles).
Note Tire Rack says tire "break in" is about 500 miles(to fully wear off the mould-release coating).
My wife's Yokohamas are now at 1,000 miles and i can say I can recommend them again, but based on above-mentioned driving needs/conditions.

Note you may have to play with tire pressure settings for the sweet spot of speed and comfort.
I have both of the tires now at around 36/34 psi (front /rear), at 75F weather (undriven).

I can sense both of these 23560 tires are heavier than the 22565's, but with the 23560's more car-like (less busy/boat-at-sea feeling), i don't think i would be going back to the 22565's again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement