Looking for new tire suggestions - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
yes the generals can be stiff/harsh, so the way i deal with it is i lower the tire pressure.
i think when i had 2256517s i had them on 32/31 psi front rear.
now that i'm using 2356017s i have them at 34/31.

i've seen at least one review for the general saying the sidewalls are not that strong, but iirc s/he curbed it a number of times.
haven't had problems with them so far, at least sidewall-wise.

hopefully you'd be ok with your ironmans, do they have good grip? if they're good in the rain, they'd be very good value.
$75 per tire! wow.

after having a bad experiences with oem tires though (goodyear "integrity", which i dont think has integrity hehe, on a corolla; toyo a23 on a mazda 5, dunlop st30 on the rav, and yes even the michelin latitude tour hp on the rav too[i had good one on a kia sportage before]), and knowing it's the tire in contact with the road, i try to look for a good value tire replacements usually as reviewed in tire rack.
the michelin premiers wear so fast so i'm not buying those anymore. (used premier a/s after my toyo a23)

almost went with vredestein(quatrac 5),..but the tread design seems good for places where it snows a lot.

hopefully these altimax rt 43's and avid ascend gt's i currently have prove to be a good buy. (i.e. they last and handle/sprint/stop/roll as needed sufficient enough)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far the grip in the rain has been good. It's been raining nonstop for three days and I've done hard braking as a test as well as as over steering on the twisty back roads they have been great for 90 miles now!
The Following User Says Thank You to jimchevy For This Useful Post:
prechierav (05-15-2019)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Are you near a Discount Tire? I've bought from them only since 1990. And for the past 29-years I've only installed Michelins on all our family's vehicles. Discount Tire price matches for me. I shop around, find the best price, they match it. You want excellent road wear-- that spells ''Michelin.'' There's a reason they are more expensive than cheap crummy tires or China Bombs. Tires aren't the place to go El Cheapo.

'98 RAV4 5-Speed 2WD 4-Dr. hardtop 2.0-L. gas I-4 engine. Venetian Red Pearl. Tail Light Guards (Manik). Michelin LTX M/S2 tires & spare. LED headlamps. Roof luggage rack. 5th-door saddle bags. Custom leather steering wheel cover. Sheepskin seat covers. Billiard ball #13 shift knob. Alloy wheels. Push Bar grille guard, LED fog lamps. Suede door panel inserts. Faux-suede center console cover. Driver/passenger grab-assist handles.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Michelin's!!! I put Defender LTX M/S 225/65/17 tires on in September and have not regretted doing so. Got them online from Tire Rack and delivered to my door; had my local Pep Boys mount, balance and install them - had a 4 wheel alignment done too. While they do cost more, to me they're worth every penny. Got a $70 gift card in the mail after I bought them.

Pancreatic Cancer - the silent killer!
Freedom isn't free, thank you veterans! 9-11-01...NEVER FORGET!

2015 XLE AWD Silver Metallic + Camry horns; fog lite mod; OEM A/W mats / mud guards; AVS vent visors / bug deflector; BUMPSHOX bumper guard; Gentex mirror; console tray; HAM radio; LED's; Shark Fin antenna. [To do: BSM's; hitch.]

'12 - Highlander SE AWD
'09 - RAV 4 Base AWD
'06 - Highlander Base AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page