4.4 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking for new tire suggestions

I'm probably looking to get some all-seasons but they won't be used during the winter because I have a set of dedicated winter rims and tires. So, snow and ice traction isn't a concern. I drive approximately 30k, mostly highway, miles a year for work. So my top priority is something that will get excellent tread wear. Road noise isn't a huge concern because I have a stereo that can over come that. I'm also trying to stay on the somewhat less expensive side because my work has significantly cut back on mileage reimbursement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon4x4 View Post
I'm probably looking to get some all-seasons but they won't be used during the winter because I have a set of dedicated winter rims and tires. So, snow and ice traction isn't a concern. I drive approximately 30k, mostly highway, miles a year for work. So my top priority is something that will get excellent tread wear. Road noise isn't a huge concern because I have a stereo that can over come that. I'm also trying to stay on the somewhat less expensive side because my work has significantly cut back on mileage reimbursement.
what size are you looking for? I'm very happy with Delinte Desert Storm II DS8 I got with my other car, in 19" size they cost under $100 each but I think their smallest size is R18.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm just going with the stock 17" size. I think I'm going to go with the General Altimax RT43. They get a lot of great customer reviews on all the online tire sites and great reviews on Consumer Reports.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm just going with the stock 17" size. I think I'm going to go with the General Altimax RT43. They get a lot of great customer reviews on all the online tire sites and great reviews on Consumer Reports.
I have those on my Yaris and love them.

2018 Hybrid XLE in Electric Storm Blue

The Following User Says Thank You to jaynone For This Useful Post:
talon4x4 (03-31-2019)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I have this [Altimax RT43] in 2256517 on a 2018.
They are also now available in 2356017 (in H rating) though, you might want to try that. (If not happy, you can always go back to the 22565, say, after a week,...assuming you use Discount Tire. You'll just have to pay again for the re-install i think, and the price difference.)

They are very responsive tires(very good handling), good in dry and wet (traction), but can be a bit "firm".

I have on a 2016, the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT, in 2356017.
Very good traction too, and tire rack says it beats the Michelin Premier A/S in the wet (a superb tire in wet conditions because i've had this Michelin too before, i couldn't make the car[Mazda 5] fishtail on a wet road even if i try very hard to). Haven't driven my 2016 in the rain yet though... but all i can say is it's like there's zero understeer (like the rav is on rails). A bit softer than the Altimax RT43, but also has less responsiveness. If you use this tire, try to drive in "sport mode" always so there's less "lag" on the steering response. On normal mode, it (Yokohama) feels like you have turned the steering wheel about "2 minutes" on a clock hand, before the wheel/tire actually turns, versus the Altimax where it feels almost "instant".

I wish i could have the responsiveness of the RT43, with the (slightly) softer ride with very assuring grip of the GT, but i think that's how things are with tires...you win on this, you give up on that. (Note that the Altimax is good in the rain too, but probably not as "superb" as the Michelin/Yoko.)

They are both very good tires, and choice will depend on how you drive and driving conditions. Price considerably cheaper than Michelins too.The Premier A/S also wears out fast. The Yoko/General wear longer [and both start with a higher tread than the Michelin]. I think the (Michelin)LTX is the proper tire (not the A/S) for the rav anyway, but i've seen same complaints about it..they wear out fast).

I'm assuming you're an XLE?
If an LE, ..maybe best to stay with the 2256517. (as the LE steel wheel is narrower at 6.5 rather than the 7 alloy of XLE)
2356017 is optimized for 7 wide, and 22565 is optimized for 6.5.

If you decide to go with the 2356017 of the Altimax, tell me as i'd like to know how that would feel. (and might use that on my 2018 come time i need to replace the 225s).

I'm happy with the 2356017 Yoko GT though(on the 2016), as that's the usual car for the kids/wife.
Happy with the Alti RT43 (on "MY" 2018) too, as i can "play" with the car more,...but i would most likely change it in the future to the Yoko GT too, because of the supposedly superb grip in the rain.

Whichever tire you use, make sure you get the H rated, not the T.
The Following User Says Thank You to prechierav For This Useful Post:
talon4x4 (04-01-2019)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I went with the Altimax in the stock size 225-65-17 and got the H rated. I think the 235's would have a higher rolling resistance and would hurt gas mileage? I looked at the Ascend but the max load rating was really low, around 1100lbs each I think but I really like what people had to say about them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:52 PM

Good choice on the Altimax.
If you like "spirited" driving, they're capable for it. (Tire rack says you just have to be gentle with it if you decide to test its limits though.)
If you find them firm, try playing with the pressures,..say 32/31 (front/rear) if it's just usually you in the car.

I think they also good for even (light?)snow, so if you get caught in rough weather in the future and haven't put on your winters yet, you'd be fine. I've seen at least one youtube video of someone driving the altimax in snow and (supposedly) doing ok.

I haven't checked gas mileage on my 23560 Avid Ascend GT.
Yes they are a bit "slower" (from stop) vs the Altimax, but not much, unlike the Dunlop that came OEM on my 2018.
Those Dunlops were grippy too, but very slow from stop.

I just decided to go 235 because it made the rav drive more car-like.
Less of the "boat" feel on the 225.

There doesn't seem to be a 22565 on the Avid Ascend GT, it's only available for the (plain) Avid Ascend (not "GT").
I think the plain Avid Ascend sometimes come with the new (4.5) rav, and someone here has said they're not so good.
The 235 Ascend GT has the same "102" load rating (1,874 lbs) with the 225 Altimax, so they should be ok.

Enjoy.
Take note tires have sort of a 'break-in' period too, about 500 miles says Tire Rack, because there's a "mould-release" coating that wears off fully only after the said distance. (so don't drive so 'spirited" during that period as there's no full contact yet between the actual tire rubber surface and the ground at that time)
The Following User Says Thank You to prechierav For This Useful Post:
talon4x4 (04-01-2019)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:45 PM

..i'm taking back my recommendation for the Avid Ascend GT.
or shall we say, "please decide as to what fits your purpose".

I have it on my wife's rav and i think it's ok for that purpose (city driving; you're not merging/switching lanes; you're not going 65mph or over).

I however usually drive freeway speeds, and i find the Avid Ascend GT a bit hard to "push forward"(a bit sticky) specially since it is getting warmer now.
I put them GT's in my rav4 too yesterday, and now plan to switch back to the Altimax RT43 (but still use the 2356017 size).

Will keep the Yoko GT in the other rav for the wife/kids for their "safe" driving, but will use the General Altimax on my rav for "fun" driving.

Again, if you decide to switch to 2356017 too, and you also decide to use the Altimax RT43, ..make sure you select the H-rated RT43, else they might unknowingly give you the T-rated one.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:29 PM

just to close my thoughts about this topic,..

if you want a good all-around tire, go for the General Altimax RT43.

if you want a grippy tire (and the driver [e.g. wife?]) DOESN'T do "spirited" driving, and you'd like to try 2356017, try the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT (this isn't available in 2256517, as of this posting.)

If you want to try 23560 AND you like to/know how to play with your 4.4 a bit,..the Altimax RT43 is what i'd recommend, as it is also available in that size (aside from the 2256517, and 2355518). Make sure you get the H-rated, not the T-rated.

See this post for more about 2356017.
https://www.rav4world.com/forums/125...arly-xles.html

i understand this is almost like "double-post",..but that one's on the size change, and this is about 4.4 tire recommendation in general (in the "default" sizes).
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just removed the Altimax's yesterday (due to the sidewall and tread on one getting punctured while driving) and went with a budget brand called Ironman RB-SUV in 235/55/18 on my 2013 Limited. The new ones only have about 60 miles on them so far but are a little less harsh on bumps than the Generals. I found a $20 coupon code for Tirebuyer.com and got all four for $292 plus sales tax. Ironman includes a 2 year road hazzard warranty with their tires. I typically buy a brand name tire but a few years ago I tried another budget brand (Primewell) on a different car and they wore great so I thought I'd give these a shot based on all the 4 star reviews. Time will tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement