- I NEVER / EVER have Rotors turned thinner, on a brake lathe / more prone to WARP !!
(warped rotors can send SUV in the ditch, under a panic stop...total waste of money)
- when their bad (after +/- 100,000 Km), just replace with new premium grade brake kit
Quote below from my twin brothers post:
Him & I avoid "stealership's" all together & save much $$.
- even our son, who lives in Toronto schedules his SUV brakes & repairs with my trusted garage owner (2 hour drive)
- in fact, my honest St. Thomas garage owner (South of London) is a personal friend now
- he currently has seven TO customers, that book a holiday from work and save a bundle of cash, saying away from dealers
- my brothers 2 boys live in the Kitchener-Waterloo area / they drive to their Dads mechanic...avoiding ripoff and shoddy-overpriced BIG-CITY vehicle workmanship (as earlier experienced)
4-Wheel Disc Brakes, Research Results:
Brake Rotors and Ceramic Pads - The best value for performance vs. cost on the market !!
For ceramic pad replacement, a lot of top mechanics buy IDEAL pads made out of Guelph, ON, Canada.
For brake kit with slotted rotors and ceramic pads, purchase Black Elite xDS Series Rotors and Ceramic Pads.
MAX Brakes in Ontario
: MaxBrakes.com - Brake Rotors, Brake Pads, Brake Drum, Brake Shoes
Order: (888) 835-2399
, Free Shipping, ships from Richmond Hill, ON.
- Elite Black xDS higher grade of anti-rust coating than Silver Zinc xDS
- Elite Black xDS is made from G3500 grade iron vs. Silver Zinc G3000
For disc brake calipers, I normally source AC Delco, I get from a local auto parts supplier for $70 to $85
depending on the model, while other shops will sell calipers anywhere from $150 to $400 each.
I just did a full brake job on my GMC Sierra Z71 truck for $430 CAD
4 slotted and drilled G3500 grade rotors
, ceramic pads, 2 copper brake lines, 1 front caliper
MAX BRAKES - ELITE xDS BRAKE KIT (KT012983) $265.00
XXXX AUTO PARTS - AC DELCO LF BRAKE CALIPER $70.00
MECHANIC - INSTALL BRAKE KIT, 1 CALIPER, 2 Cu LINES $95.00
A week earlier, a guy at work spend nearly $2K at a Ford dealer
, on a brake job on his F150.
My old boss quoted $1,900 for new brakes at Nissan dealer and he asked me to find him a better deal.
TOTAL COST: $523 CAD (4-Wheel Elite Black xDS Brake Kit, AC Delco Rear Calipers, Installed)
SAVINGS: $1,377 CAD
– Nissan OEM brake rotors are not the high performance drilled & slotted variety
My friend at work quoted $4,750 for new brakes at Audi dealer and he asked me to find him a better deal.
TOTAL COST: $844 CAD (4-Wheel Elite Black xDS Brake Kit, 4 AC Delco Calipers, Installed)
SAVINGS: $3,906 CAD
– Audi OEM brake rotors are not the high performance drilled & slotted variety
Audi dealer quoted $412 each of 4 calipers, an extra $140 just to drain the brake fluid, 11.5 hours of labour.
Since when did a brake job using all new parts take ~ 12 hours x shop rate of $155/ hour + HST = $2,000
I directed my old boss and friend to go to the best mechanic I’ve seen in 40 years and he charges $50 / hour.
This mechanic lives in the same town as they do, but in the past they just went to the Name Brand dealer.
So in a few short minutes, I saved two guys at work an average of $2,640 each on a complete brake job.