Need help, Rav4 2013 acts weird when The weather is Hot - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need help, Rav4 2013 acts weird when The weather is Hot

Has anyone ever had this issue>?

When the weather is Hot over here in Northern California about 89+ Fahrenheit, I lose the air conditioning, ABS light comes on, RPM needle dies, Traction control light comes on, engine temperature control dies.
And if I park my car My steering wheel locks I have to drive the car about 5ft in reverse or froward until it unlocks itself automatically. Please take a look at the pics I have attached I mark the Lights that come on in a red circle.

But when the weather is nice and cool I never have this issue. I replaced my battery about 5,000 miles ago since the old one died.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E6447.jpg (41.2 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Could it be something for cooling? Radiator fan or something similar? When this happens, can you read the error codes it puts out? That may help some others diagnose it.

-Josh Feldhaus

2015 RAV4 XLE AWD-Curt Class 3 Trailer Hitch & Wiring,12V & USB Plugs, LED Interior Lights

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Did the problem begin after the battery was replaced, or was it already there prior to installing the new battery? To make certain that the battery is OK (occasionally they do fail sooner than expected) the battery can be tested for no cost at some auto supply stores. Are the battery terminals and cable ends clean, and are the battery connections tight? Also the problem could be caused by a loose or dirty battery ground cable connection at the chassis or engine mounting point, or by the positive battery cable connection at the starter relay. And further, a fuse insert point connection could be dirty or corroded so pulling and reinserting the fuses could resolve the problem.

If there is an electrical connection problem, increased heat can increase electrical resistance at connections which results in problems due to the increased resistance.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
Did the problem begin after the battery was replaced, or was it already there prior to installing the new battery? To make certain that the battery is OK (occasionally they do fail sooner than expected) the battery can be tested for no cost at some auto supply stores. Are the battery terminals and cable ends clean, and are the battery connections tight? Also the problem could be caused by a loose or dirty battery ground cable connection at the chassis or engine mounting point, or by the positive battery cable connection at the starter relay. And further, a fuse insert point connection could be dirty or corroded so pulling and reinserting the fuses could resolve the problem.

If there is an electrical connection problem, increased heat can increase electrical resistance at connections which results in problems due to the increased resistance.
Now that you ask. I let my sister borrow my car to go to the store and she told me that my car did what I described on my previous post. 2 days later my battery died
But it didn't happen to me before the battery was replaced.

I will check the ground cables and reseat the fuses. Thanks for the advise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page