Oil filter leaking issues? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil filter leaking issues?

Hello All! New to the forum (and RAV4s) but have two Land Cruisers (315k, 178k) and a Sienna (218k), so not new to Toyota. Just purchased a used 2018 RAV4 AWD XLE (32k miles, <1 yr old, rental fleet) for my daughter who is moving to Minneapolis at the end of the month. The dealer had about eighteen, all from the same source (Enterprise in NV) and with similar mileage. She selected eight that we looked at in detail. Three of those had oil dripping off what I soon learned was the oil filter housing. Of course, she ended up selecting one of those (was fine otherwise) and as part of the sale I required the Toyota dealer to perform a oil and filter change to address the problem. She picked up the car yesterday and drove home (about eight miles) and parked it in the driveway. This evening, while I was walking past it, I noticed an oil spot on the driveway under the car. Sure enough, it is still leaking from the same spot, both on to the driveway and even on to the oil pan from the short drive home. At this point I am going to assume the dealer did perform the oil change (they provided shop paperwork stating so) and so must either question the competence of their service department or be concerned that there is some systemic issue with the oil filter/housing assembly. So, after my long winded preamble (sorry!) are there any known issued with the oil filter housing assembly (ie. propensity to strip threads, pinch o-rings, etc)? For the life of me a can't understand why Toyota just did not use a spin on type filter, but they didn't. I need to make sure this thing is in tip top shape before we drive 2000 miles to MN and I leave her there with it. Thanks!

Rod Daebelliehn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190411_192216.jpg (53.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20190411_192242.jpg (61.2 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Best bet is to completely clean it all off with an engine degreaser like Walmart's SuperTech Engine Degreaser.

Then run the vehicle stationary in the driveway and determine where the leak is. Is it at the o-ring where the filter housing screws into the block? Is it at the o-ring on the silver filter housing drain plug? Is it at or around the oil pan?

If it's at either o-ring on the filter housing, you can buy a new filter and replace the o-rings. If it still leaks, you might have a problem with the plastic filter housing itself. In that case, you can buy a new plastic filter housing or retrofit to a metal one.

Or, take it back to the dealer and make them do all those checks and fixes.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:52 AM
arf

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
The cannister is a bit of a pain in the ass on these things. The metal plug you see is supposed to make for clean easy draining (with the supplied plastic tube that comes with every new oil filter) but oftentimes the cannister drain plug is so tight that garages will just unscrew the whole cannister (without removing plug) to change the filter. The cannister's made of plastic so putting it into a vice to remove the drain plug risks damaging it.

While this works, it's messy and what you're seeing is probably just remenants of the oil drip on the cannister (when you drain the oil this way, oil goes everywhere)

Otherwise, maybe they did remove the cannister drain plug and forgot to install the O ring? It's hard to say.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Best to take it back to the dealer and have them fix the problem before something happens. It the engine leaks oil out fast and needs a new engine who knows how long it takes to order parts and do the repairs.

2009 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD
2005 RAV4 Base 4WD -sold
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
One owner I spoke with who had the same leakage problem said that it occurred because when the filter was changed the service person did not remove the canister gasket but instead installed the new one on top of it. Don't know whether that is possible since I don't do my own oil changes but I have not had any leakage problem. Also, someone had made or does make a conversion kit to replace the canister filter with a spin-on type but as I recall they said that one had to use their own spin-on filters, which were rather pricey.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
If it's at either o-ring on the filter housing, you can buy a new filter and replace the o-rings. If it still leaks, you might have a problem with the plastic filter housing itself. In that case, you can buy a new plastic filter housing or retrofit to a metal one.

Thanks - do you happen to have a link or any additional information on a metal housing?

Cheers,

Rod
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:15 PM

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/126...using-cap.html

Details in there about the Dorman part and, in my opinion, the more superior Toyota part.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
https://www.rav4world.com/forums/126...using-cap.html

Details in there about the Dorman part and, in my opinion, the more superior Toyota part.

Thanks. It seems people must be uncomfortable with or have problems with the plastic unit. Does the plug that fits the plastic unit also fit the 15620-31060 unit or do I need to get the 15620-31050 plug as well?

Cheers,

Rod
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdublin View Post
Does the plug that fits the plastic unit also fit the 15620-31060 unit or do I need to get the 15620-31050 plug as well?
The filter housing drain plug will transfer over to the metal housing.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
The filter housing drain plug will transfer over to the metal housing.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement