2018 XLE AWD front brake questions - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2018 XLE AWD front brake questions

Hello - just bought a 2018 XLE AWD with 32kmiles on it for my daughter and want to service the front brakes before I send her off to Minnesota. I am having difficulty finding parts that specifically match the 2018 model year on line (2017 seems to be latest year listed most places). I have spent an hour or so digging around the site and it appears that the setup is likely the same as 2017, though there were a couple comments regarding a 275 mm dia disc on the LE and a 296 mm dia disc on the XLE. The Centric pads on RockAuto seem to have have a pretty good reputation but they had different listings for the two rotor diameters. So, the specific questions I have are:

1, What rotor diameter do I have (I believe it is 296 mm and requires the 1211 pads)?
2. What are the torque values for the for the wheel lug nuts, caliper pin bolts (14 mm head), and the pad bracket bolts (not sure of the exact name, I believe 17mm bolt heads)

Driving me nuts that I can't find a factory service manual for this anywhere, paid or otherwise. Toyota refers me to Helminc to purchase but they don't show a RAV4 service manual for anything newer than a 2011. If anyone has a source for a 2018 service, please advise.

Finally, I know they salt in MN and have no experience with this from a maintenance standpoint. Any tips/tricks to preparing the front brakes to survive in that environment?

Thanks,

Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:48 PM
arf

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I can’t confirm which brake size you have (probably the larger one given you have an XLE and not an LE, but you could measure to be sure) but for the maintenance on the slide pins, it’s pretty straightforward. I have lubed mine twice already and haven’t had any issues - the torque values are tough to find online but honestly, we’re talking about fairly common sense brake parts - they might not be necessary as long as you don’t use a breaker bar!

I live in Quebec which is terrible for salt, all I can recommend is to check all boots for even slight tears and be careful with them when removing the pins. I would recommend lubing the pins at a minimum once a year, after the winter would be best. Clean all parts off with brake cleaner and make sure the caliper bleed nipple covers are in place.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
If it says it for a 2017 it will fit a 2018.
If it's XLE trim it's the bigger rotors(Only the LE uses the small ones). Rear rotors are all the same throughout the different trims

Caliper bolt torque is good and tight. But if you want to get technical...
Front caliper bracket bolts are 79 ft lb
Caliper slide pin bolts are 25 ft lb

Wheel torque is 76 ft lb.

Not much you can do about salt corrosion. Getting the coated rotors help a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20190414-124233_1555267926802.png (194.4 KB, 24 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to KTooTall For This Useful Post:
crewcab111 (04-14-2019)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTooTall View Post
If it says it for a 2017 it will fit a 2018.
If it's XLE trim it's the bigger rotors(Only the LE uses the small ones). Rear rotors are all the same throughout the different trims

Caliper bolt torque is good and tight. But if you want to get technical...
Front caliper bracket bolts are 79 ft lb
Caliper slide pin bolts are 25 ft lb

Wheel torque is 76 ft lb.

Not much you can do about salt corrosion. Getting the coated rotors help a bit.

Thank you - that is great information! I just found the 2015 service manual on alldatadiy.com for $30/yr and the torque numbers match what you shared with me. Reading through the procedure I also noticed that the pads apparently are not identical (inner and outer). I have never seen this before.

I am ordering the Centric pads from RockAuto and am busy printing the manual pages I need to PDF.

Cheers,

Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAV4 Brake Pad Orientation.jpg (24.9 KB, 7 views)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:45 PM

general approach

Here is an idea. Call a dealer (any one), give them the VIN, then get the part numbers for the right parts.

I would caution against matching to "same trim and adjacent year".

As I found out, my 2017 has 4 different part numbers for rear brake pads, depending on trim, FWD vs AWD, AND plant (being Japan, US, or Cambridge Ontario).

There are 2 part numbers for front pads too....

You can then choose to go OEM or aftermarket matching the correct OEM part numbers.

Last edited by alexb810; 04-15-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: .
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdublin View Post
...I just found the 2015 service manual on alldatadiy.com for $30/yr ...

As a side note, many libraries have subscriptions to AllData, so you can access it there for free.

2013 LE AWD
1987 200SX SE-V6
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb810 View Post
Here is an idea. Call a dealer (any one), give them the VIN, then get the part numbers for the right parts.

I would caution against matching to "same trim and adjacent year".

As I found out, my 2017 has 4 different part numbers for rear brake pads, depending on trim, FWD vs AWD, AND plant (being Japan, US, or Cambridge Ontario).

There are 2 part numbers for front pads too....

You can then choose to go OEM or aftermarket matching the correct OEM part numbers.
If your picky and you want the exact pads that came with the vehicle off the assembly, then this is the way to go.

However multiple part numbers doesn't mean they are all different fitment. Alot of times the parts numbers are only different because the Japan plant sources and uses different brands than the North American plants. The fitment is the same. I have put Japan pads on the North American Rav4 and vice versa. As far as I'm aware the LE trim has smaller front pads and all the other trims use the same larger front pads. In the rear it's all the same.
That's why when you look up aftermarket pads there are 2 different sized options for the front and only one option for the rear.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTooTall View Post
If your picky and you want the exact pads that came with the vehicle off the assembly, then this is the way to go.

However multiple part numbers doesn't mean they are all different fitment. Alot of times the parts numbers are only different because the Japan plant sources and uses different brands than the North American plants. The fitment is the same. I have put Japan pads on the North American Rav4 and vice versa. As far as I'm aware the LE trim has smaller front pads and all the other trims use the same larger front pads. In the rear it's all the same.
That's why when you look up aftermarket pads there are 2 different sized options for the front and only one option for the rear.

Using the VIN I was able to determine that it is a NA build. I also received a quote from the dealer for a new set of front pads ($120!), and was able to confirm the correct p/n so I have a set of Raybestos Hybrids arriving today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page