Front Brake Disc Retaining Nut on 2018 AWD? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Front Brake Disc Retaining Nut on 2018 AWD?

Went through and serviced the brakes on my daughters new to her 2018 AWD XLE. I had planned to pull the front discs to abrasively clean them but found what appears to be a retaining nut holding it on. (see image) The 2015 AllData manual (newest I could find) does not show a retaining nut there and of course had no information regarding torque and so forth. My question is - do the early Fourth Gen vehicles have this feature? Does any know what the torque value is for it? I did not take the disc off and just scoured it the best I could on the vehicle, but eventually I will need to take it off.

Thanks,

Rod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAV4 Hub Nut.jpg (190.8 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdublin View Post
Went through and serviced the brakes on my daughters new to her 2018 AWD XLE. I had planned to pull the front discs to abrasively clean them but found what appears to be a retaining nut holding it on. (see image) The 2015 AllData manual (newest I could find) does not show a retaining nut there and of course had no information regarding torque and so forth. My question is - do the early Fourth Gen vehicles have this feature? Does any know what the torque value is for it? I did not take the disc off and just scoured it the best I could on the vehicle, but eventually I will need to take it off.

Thanks,

Rod

If you're referring to the black thing on the axle then it is retainer cup for the axle nut it covers. The disk most likely just rusted in place, the axle nut doesn't hold it. There are 2 threaded holes on the disk- those holes are used to push disk away from the hub by putting metric bolts in and tightening them up. I don't recall the exact thread size, someone might have it handy. Overall, looks pretty standard to me. Spray some penetrating oil into those 2 holes, let it soak for few hrs, put bolts in and it should go off easily.

2011 RAV4 V6 Limited
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Watch this video, he eventually removes the rotor. I used this vid when I did a 4 corner brake job on my '15 XLE.

Upon successful completion of the job you'll be entitled to wear one of these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cwe.jpg (15.9 KB, 6 views)

Pancreatic Cancer - the silent killer!
Freedom isn't free, thank you veterans! 9-11-01...NEVER FORGET!

2015 XLE AWD Silver Metallic + Camry horns; fog lite mod; OEM A/W mats / mud guards; AVS vent visors / bug deflector; BUMPSHOX bumper guard; Gentex mirror; console tray; HAM radio; LED's; Shark Fin antenna. [To do: BSM's; hitch.]

'12 - Highlander SE AWD
'09 - RAV 4 Base AWD
'06 - Highlander Base AWD

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
I haven't had a car that had an axle but holding the rotor on in 20 years LOL. If you're just cleaning the rotors take the 2 caliper bracket bolts out. You can then remove the caliper, brake pads and bracket as one unit. Take a piece of wood and hold it against the rotor. Use a hammer to hit the wood. Then do this on the other side of the rotor. After a few whacks the rotor will come off.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max5gen View Post
If you're referring to the black thing on the axle then it is retainer cup for the axle nut it covers. The disk most likely just rusted in place, the axle nut doesn't hold it. There are 2 threaded holes on the disk- those holes are used to push disk away from the hub by putting metric bolts in and tightening them up. I don't recall the exact thread size, someone might have it handy. Overall, looks pretty standard to me. Spray some penetrating oil into those 2 holes, let it soak for few hrs, put bolts in and it should go off easily.

Thanks. It appeared that the disc was solid all the way under that cup. I gave it a yank, but did not whack it to break it loose on the assumption that it was retaining the disc. Thanks for the clarification!

Regards,

Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page