Sensor Issue or Something Else... - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Sensor Issue or Something Else...

I recently purchased a 2016 RAV4 from a Toyota dealership out of Portland, ME. The car has 30,000 miles on it (was a lease turn-in).

I have had quite the history with cars acting up on me. A few years back I had a 2015 Ford Fusion that left me stranded with no control of my acceleration in a four-way intersection. It ended up being an issue with the wiring in the computer, and I no longer drive it.

The RAV4 is behaving quite similarly, and I am at my wit's end.

Since purchasing it, the car takes its sweet time accelerating (which I have seen from multiple sources that this is standard for the car). While this does not bother me, I have also noticed the car seems to have a difficult time shifting gears without some sort of hesitation or quiet vibration.
This happens much more frequently on "hilly" roads and tends to lead to significant speed loss while driving. Overall I get where I need to go, but it is unsettling.

Today, as I was driving on the highway at about 60mph, my odometer dropped from 2 to 0, and remained there for about 3 seconds before returning to 2. The car did not lose power or really change in any way (aside from the usual gear change slowdown), but it really freaked me out.

No lights came on, nothing indicating engine error or transmission issue.

Is this a sensor issue? Do I have a dirty air flow sensor? Or could this be something more sinister, like a Torque Converter?

I have already taken it to Toyota for a once over, and of course, they could not replicate the problem which means nothing is wrong with it.

Has anyone else experienced this before? And am I safe to continue driving this? I just bought it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
First of all what do you mean the odometer dropped from 2 to 0? Are you referring to the tachometer? If so they are 2 very different things LOL. Secondly is the car in eco mode? They drive very sluggish in that mode. Lastly you need to monitor when these problems arise. Take notes so you can go to the dealer and this happens when I'm doing 50 and going up a hill. Inconsistent problems are a pain, but can be delt with with some effort.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sorry, I am not too term savvy with my car parts yet!

It is the tachometer that dropped for about 3 seconds. The car was going down a mild incline, I didn't give it any gas, and it dropped from 2 to 0 for about 3 seconds before returning to normal.

The car is in normal mode. The ECO light comes on when I am driving most efficiently, but I have yet to leave it in ECO Mode exclusively...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement