Issues post TSB Torque Converter swap? Specifically leaks? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.4 Mechanical Intakes, Exhaust, Tune-ups, 4x4 system, Suspension, Brakes, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Issues post TSB Torque Converter swap? Specifically leaks?

Thanks to the super helpful thread covering the TSB (I never got the letter), I had the torque converter in my 2013 replaced in February at 109k miles. This TSB saved me about $4100 at my dealership, and the shudder is gone (though there still is a noticeable vibration in the same RPM/speed range).

I went in a week ago to get the alignment checked and was told that both the rear main seal is leaking, and that the valve cover gasket is seeping, and they're going to be about $3800 to fix. They're denying that replacing the torque converter could have had anything to do with it, but when I had taken it in for scheduled maintenance in December, there were no leaks anywhere.

I tried combing through the FSM for the protocol to replace a torque converter, but I'm a medic not a mechanic, and couldn't make heads nor tails. I've also tried searching this site and Google in general to find out if replacing the torque converter has anything to do with the rear main seal. Of course the dealership says no, but what dealership goes out of their way to eat thousands of dollars in repairs?

Can anyone shed some light on this? I don't have a problem paying if its not related, but it's too much of a coincidence to not look into.

2013 XLE AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:28 PM
arf

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I had my TC done around 10 months ago.

No leaks at all for the time being. Keep us posted.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
The rear main seal is located between the engine and transmission just behind the flywheel. It is possible that an inept, inexperienced "mechanic" somehow damaged the seal during torque converter removal/replacement.

2013 LE AWD
1987 200SX SE-V6

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipaway View Post
The rear main seal is located between the engine and transmission just behind the flywheel. It is possible that an inept, inexperienced "mechanic" somehow damaged the seal during torque converter removal/replacement.
No you don't remove the flex plate for TC replacement and the seal rides on the crank shaft, so even if the flex plate was removed the technician wouldn't have touched the seal. A TC replacement wouldn't cause a rear main seal leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement